• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How go add a backpad

Wheezer

Reaction score
Do any new backpads attach via velcro? I’d like to avoid drilling if possible.

Velcro is versatile so you might want to purchase a suitable back pad and sew or glue Velcro strips on it. This shouldn't be too difficult and it should hold the back pad securely. That said, it's not possible to say what might happen to the finish of your accordion if you want to remove the Velcro strips in the future. Back pads tend to be attached with snaps because it's an effective method proven over time.

….That said, it's not possible to say what might happen to the finish of your accordion if you want to remove the Velcro strips in the future. Back pads tend to be attached with snaps because it's an effective method proven over time.
Yes, one of my concerns is possible effect of adhesive on the celluloid.

I tried this for the same reason (to avoid drilling holes).

Some of my accordions have a fiberboard aheet on the back which does not allow the screw on snaps to really hold well- they pull out over time.

I'm relatively handy but it just didn't work our for me.

Though you might be hard put to credit it, the material that velcro strips are made from is really difficult to glue. Even contact cement which usually sticks to pretty much anything, forms an exceedingly weak bond. The acetone in the cement makes it a risky choice on celluliod as well though I haven't had an issue myself in that regard.

The adhesive back velcro strips have proved amazingly unsatisfactory one and all on accordion backs for the purposes of holding backpads. a couple of removals and without fail the strip comes up with the pad. The failure is on the celluloid accordion side vice the pas side where of course you can sew it on.

If you are successful in your quest please post the type of adhesive involved. Meantime- it's snaps or no pad at all for me.

Thanks-

Henry

Last edited:
If you are successful in your quest please post the type of adhesive involved. Meantime- it's snaps or no pad at all for me.

Thanks-

Henry
I’m an expert at figuring why something didn’t work after it didn’t work…. So I’m with you; stick to snaps.

I tried this for the same reason (to avoid drilling holes).
One of my PAs already had a back pad installed by a previous owner using upholstery like pins (not press studs).
Unfortunately, one pin kept coming out, gradually enlarging its hole.
What to do?
Using some Velcro strip from a local sewing accessories shop, I attached about 1" of the fuzzy portion, overlapping the hole in the celluloid of the accordion (relying entirely on the peel-back adhesive already on the strip), to the accordion and ditto to the pad itself, such that the pin pokes through and sits in its hole, with the Velcro "hooks" strip adhering to the pad.
When in position, the Velcro holds it all together.
I leave it there permanently.
So far, (over a year) it's been working perfectly, without coming away!🙂

Glad to hear it.

I should have added that I tend to remove and replace the backpads pretty frequently as I am constantly tinkering with the "innards" of my accordions. I can see how use as a more sophisticated double sided tape migth well- and in your case did!- work.

Back