• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Concerto III N reeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trek4fr

Hi folks. I recently couldn't pass up a good deal on a Hohner Concerto III N. According to Hohner's information on their website, the N model was built between 1981 and 1984 (to be superseded by the S and T series. But...the wooden reed blocks inside this accordion are all stamped 10 Feb 1993. So I don't know if someone switched out all of the treble and bass reed blocks or if this was something odd where Hohner held onto the shell and put the reeds in it later.

Does anyone have any experience or insight into this?

Thanks.

Hi Tom. I don't know, to answer your question. The blocks don't look like they've been rewaxed or anything. In fact, they look new. But, yes, each block has that date hard-pressed down into the wood. It's not a sticker. It doesn't really matter to me as an issue. I just found the discrepancy interesting and wondered if anyone had seen anything like this before. I suppose it is possible that the blocks were reworked in 1993, but, if so, whoever did it did a fine job.

Fair enough. I guess I should say that all the Hohners I've worked on have been a lot older than yours!

Very interesting photos.
The 4th reed from the top left (keyboard side) shows very clearly that this accordion has been worked on. The reed is not flush against the reed block. Not good.
The bottom part of the picture is also very interesting: the reed blocks are so close that the valves from the larger block may interfere with the valves and reeds on the smaller (top) block. I've never seen them that close to each other.
The stamp is very likely from when the accordion was repaired. The plastic valves may also be newer than the accordion itself.

I'll put it in the shop and have my (semi-)local repairman go over it and give it a tuneup. It's probably worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back