• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hohner Atlantic IV S...what does the "S" stand for?

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hohner uses a scheme with letters to indicate the series (and thus also age) of revisions an instrument is part of.
They sometimes started with no letter, then M (or D in button accordions), then N, then S and finally T.
The commonly used table states that first there was no letter, then in around 1961 the Atlantic N series saw the light, in 1973 the S and in 1987 the T series. So if you have an S it was made between 1973 and 1987, if I read that table correctly. The table lists N/S/T and these three years.

ArtMustel

Reaction score
Wonderful Paul! I don't own it but someone is selling one locally and I was curious about the "S" since most Atlantic IV I've seen have the letter "N". Do you think that these "S" models have a lower quality because they are "newer"? As always, thank you very much for your answer!

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have never actually seen an Atlantic IV S so I don't know whether it is better or worse than an N. What I do know is that the older such an accordion is the more likely it is that it needs quite a bit of work, and the higher the risk also that reeds have significant amounts of rust on them. (I have seen some that are beyond repair.)

ArtMustel

Reaction score
Yes I need to try it and check it very well (the acoustic part of it) since it although it is also midi, I believe some kind of extra equipment is needed for the midi section and it is not included. The exact name of the model is Atlantic IV S Vox 5P Midi. Thank you very much Paul.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes I need to try it and check it very well (the acoustic part of it) since it although it is also midi, I believe some kind of extra equipment is needed for the midi section and it is not included. The exact name of the model is Atlantic IV S Vox 5P Midi. Thank you very much Paul.
I'm not sure this lettering works for the VOX series, and I'm not sure if they are Midi as we know it now.
I have a VOX 4P which as a base is an Atlantic IV N De Luxe, and I believe this model was produced in the late 1980's. I've seen VOX 5P with the IV N De Luxe as a base too, like the one shown here.

I always thought the white, rounded register switches were a sign of the later, 80' models (but could well be wrong).

My 4P has a suitcase sized box of electronics to give the Midi-type functionality, but it's certainly not Midi. Worth checking if this is important to you

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A quick bit of digging shows that the VOX 4P was released in 1982, so your VOX 5P would be later.

ArtMustel

Reaction score
Knobby, I have no interest in the electronic part of it but your comment is very interesting. My only interest is the acoustics in it, I hope its not too bad! How does yours perform outside the electronics? Thanks!