• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Arietta IV M (Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Hawkins

Experienced Gentleman.
Reaction score
Though I fully understand that my "new" accordion still requires a good deal of TLC, I am very happy with the slight progress I have made so far. It is not yet ready for a Folk Club outing, but it sounds good enough to play at home.

The leap from a 72/34 to a 120/41 was not as difficult as I thought it may be, though switching from one to the other has (occasionally) caused me to play a few bum notes. I will confess that the keys & buttons on the Hohner are smoother than those on my Chanson, though it is a feature which I am, as yet, unable to capitalise on.

The previous owner (who died 29 years ago) made a crude but fairly effective modification to the Bass-Side sound grill. He covered the holes with electrical tape, probably as a result of no-one wishing to sit on his left when he was playing.

I shall remove the tape, trusting that I can develop a lighter technique to curb the robustness of the Bass. Even with the tape in place, and playing as lightly as I can, it still produces a full-blooded roar.

By next week, under expert supervision, I intend to strip my Hohner down. I will clean, adjust and fiddle with the innards, in the hope of making it all better.

All The Best,

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,
Best wishes with the remedial work.
I just wondered how much heavier the 120 bass accordion is compared to the 72 bass accordion and if it is heavier whether this has impacted upon your playing.
I noticed on another thread that the Hohner Arietta is considered to be a lightweight accordion and so this is what has triggered my enquiry.
Phil

Good luck Stephen, sounds like you're enjoying the journey, which is the important thing.

I had thought that a 120 would be bigger and heavier than I wanted to go, but was pleasantly surprised at how friendly and manageable the Atlantic that came my way was.
Tom

Hello Phil, (why did I think your name was Barry?)

Thank you for your query, which I will attempt to answer accurately.

As you already know, I own a couple of smaller instruments. The one I use most often is a 72/34 Chanson, which was made in China. The Chanson is, believe it or not, quite a bit heavier than the Hohner Arietta. I could hardly credit it myself at first, but can assure you it is true.

The Arietta is a bigger instrument than the Chanson, which does take a bit of getting used to, but the weight is fine. As I am 6ft 4ins and somewhere North of 18 stone, the size is not, of itself, difficult for me to manage. If there is any problem at all, it is to do with the additional treble keys.

The "M" in the model number stands for Musette, which is another departure from what I am used to. Though it does require some fettling, the sounds it produces are gorgeous.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your kind wishes.

I was perfectly happy playing my 72/34 Chanson at the Folk Club and at charity events. It was never my intention to buy a 120/41 until a friend insisted that I take a look at her deceased Dad's old accordion.

Though I immediately knew that it was going to be a project, I nevertheless fell head over heels for this old tub. It has spent the last 29 years in a garage, suffering from the effects of cold, damp and poor storage. The carrying case is in a fairly rotten condition, though I do not think it is beyond repair.

You are right, we are all on a journey. I guess my "new" travelling companion is a Hohner Arietta 120/41 M.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

My recently purchased Concierto 111 i think is a version of the Arrietta. I like the big bass sound as it stands out in the band I find the 72 bass model ideal for standing and playing with for singing which for me involves the diaphragm and deep breathing

They are great boxes BUT for sheer pleasure of sound I like my Verdi better which is a sit down box

Hi Pianoman,

I confess that I am not sure of the relationship between the different Hohner models, though I have been told that model names are changed when they are updated.

The Arietta (as I understand it) is a kind of "entry level" instrument, and will therefore be related to subsequent entry level models. Is the Concierto 111 an entry level instrument? Was it a contemporary of the Arietta, or an updated version?

Most Ariettas, I am told, were made in 48 or 72 Bass. The 120 Bass was something of a departure from these smaller sizes, and some were manufactured in Switzerland. The only sticker on my box gives details of the original retailer: "Bells Musical Instruments Co. Ltd." Bells, I have been told, was also a major importer of Hohners to the UK.

From the little I have learned about it, it appears that my box was made in the fifties or very early sixties. When was your Concierto made (roughly)?

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

There is a detailed overview of Hohner boxes elsewhere on the forum The Concierto is an 80s box I believe

Pianoman,

Yes, I have seen that, but it won't stay up long enough for me to read it.

The Arietta, I have discovered, was made between 1952 & 1961, making my machine somewhere between 56 and 65 years old.

I am currently in touch with Herr Ralf Tritscher in Trossingen, who is trying to find out when my instrument was made and shipped. For 25 euros I can get a certificate of some sort, though I'm not really clear about what benefit that will have for me. Still, it's only 25 euros ......... what the hell?

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back