• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Accordions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TW

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see that BBC Alba is running (re-running?) a series on these accordions today (Sat) in case anyone is interested - and hasn't noticed the listing themselves.

Thanks TW, I watched this last time it was on. Its definitely worth watching again.

Pete

Hi Glenn
The radio station covers the part of Scotland where Gaelic is the main language spoken (mostly the Western Isles).
Sub-titles in the English language are normally included. I will let you Google 'Alba' for yourself.
Well worth a watch.
Garth

Is there an internet radio feed? If not I'll have trouble getting it here in Holland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Glenn, Sorry, I am not up on this techie stuff - I don't know whether you can get the BBC IPlayer over there. That is the place to find it.
A correction to my previous reply - It is a TV, not a radio station. That may clear up the need for sub-titles.
Garth

Unless you can speak Gaelic, Glenn it ain't gonna be worth the listen - not that much music - and a lot about mouth organs in the first prog. It's a satellite TV channel so you may be able to tune to the satellite if you've got the kit. Or it may be on BBC iPlayer... ?

I’ve got to disagree with the first parts of Soulsaver’s comments above
I think the programme portrayed very well the relaxed nature of the Western Isles and the strong link with Hohner.
You don’t need to be a tcheuchter to understand it – just relax and go with the flow
Garth
p.s. Doesn’t every postman carry a moothie with him?

Perhaps I should have quoted Glenn's post. To clarify: It is worth watching... I enjoyed it, some nice Hohner models to look at, but not worth listening on the radio IMHO, which is what Glen was proposing, unless you speak Gaelic. AFAIK you don't get subtitles on the radio? Some good mouth organ playing, if that's what you like.. each to his own.

I managed to enjoy it via iPlayer .. don't panic about the Gaelic, it's got English subtitles !

(On iPlayer select 'channels' > 'BBC Alba' then look for the programme schedule. It was on yesterday.)

Chris

The BBC, in their infinite wisdom, do not allow me to use iPlayer in Holland unless I hack it and use a VPN or something (for that I am too "netjes").

It is a Freesat service and also on Sky.

If you are a linux user you can download it using get-iplayer

Glenn said:
The BBC, in their infinite wisdom, do not allow me to use iPlayer in Holland unless I hack it and use a VPN or something (for that I am too netjes).
It isnt free per se... rightly or wrongly, they try to limit iPlayer to licence payers (ie UK residents).

Indeed. Trouble is I do pay a licence in the UK but it does not allow me to "roam". Thus the licence I pay doesn't benefit me in terms of iPlayer outside of the UK.
In addition I receive BBC here in Holland via my local cable service for which I pay a fee. You guessed it, it does not allow me to use iPlayer.
Apparently there is a subscriber fee for some countries, Holland included I think, but I'm not willing to pay another 100 quid a year just to listen to BBC Alba.... :D

Glenn - search for software called "Hola". This will allow you to watch TV services from different countries in your Web browser without the need for a VPN. It's free too!

Thanks for the tip Knobby I'll take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back