• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Help! Elkavox 83 set up

DSchaeffer

Reaction score
I have a question pertaining to the set up of an Elkavox 83 accordion that I inherited from my father. I've got the accordion, tone generator, and a Solton MS40. I have asked his band members if they knew how he had set it up, to no avail. I am new to the accordion, and would like to continue on in honor of my father. Can anyone give me input as to how to set the system up? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20240218_165719.jpg
    IMG_20240218_165719.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 15
First kudos to you for wanting to take up your father's love of accordions, you are about to embark on one of the most frustrating yet fulfilling journeys of your life.

That said, it seems like you have a setup pretty much like me except that instead of the MS40 I have aKetron X4. The X4 seems marginally newer so manuals are easier to find. You can use a manual for an M50 to get the MIDI setup, that you can download from HERE.

Anyway, the setup should be relatively easy.
- Plug AC outlet in to the tone generator and in to a power bar. DON'T turn on yet
- Plug large cable from tone generator in to the accordion
- Plug M40 in to power bar, DON'T turn on yet
- The tone generator has a MIDI out connector, plug MIDI cable in to it
- The other end of the MIDI cable goes in to the MIDI IN of the M40

That covers the getting things basically set up, the other part is routing the audio cables from the M40 and tone generator to a mixer out to speakers (if using a powered mixer) or from mixer to amp to speakers (if not using a powered mixer), that should be self-evident how to do, but if you are lost, we can do a 2nd post for that later.

MIDI setup: This may or may not need any setup. What you are looking for is sending MIDI CHANNEL 4 from the tone generator to the MIDI RECEIVE CHORD section of the M40. Since this is a previous setup they *may* already be programmed, but if not refer to the manual on how to get this done.

Note: I don't see a foot pedal for the M40, you really need a foot pedal to turn the rhythm ON/OFF and to insert little drum solos, though possible to do it by hand, its a true pain in the derrier to do it that way.

How to turn on:
- turn on the tone generator, the lights should start moving from top to botto, hitting any key stops that and shows the active settings
- turn on the M40
- make sure that the mixer (and amp if not a powered mixer) are turned on, spend some time playing to get the levels right
- play and enjoy.

Note: These accordions are from the 80's and use electronics that degrades over time causing failures. You may find it needs repairing. I have the schematics for this accordion/tone generator and for the healthy sum of exactly $0 can make them available to you if needed... lol.

Last edited:
First kudos to you for wanting to take up your father's love of accordions, you are about to embark on one of the most frustrating yet fulfilling journeys of your life.

That said, it seems like you have a setup pretty much like me except that instead of the MS40 I have aKetron X4. The X4 seems marginally newer so manuals are easier to find. You can use a manual for an M50 to get the MIDI setup, that you can download from HERE.

- Plug AC outlet in to the tone generator and in to a power bar. DON'T turn on yet

That covers the getting things basically set up, the other part is routing the audio cables from the M40 and tone generator to a mixer out to speakers (if using a powered mixer) or from mixer to amp to speakers (if not using a powered mixer), that should be self-evident how to do, but if you are lost, we can do a 2nd post for that later.

MIDI setup: This may or may not need any setup. What you are looking for is sending MIDI CHANNEL 4 from the tone generator to the MIDI RECEIVE CHORD section of the M40. Since this is a previous setup they *may* already be programmed, but if not refer to the manual on how to get this done.

Note: I don't see a foot pedal for the M40, you really need a foot pedal to turn the rhythm ON/OFF and to insert little drum solos, though possible to do it by hand, its a true pain in the derrier to do it that way.

How to turn on:
- turn on the tone generator, the lights should start moving from top to botto, hitting any key stops that and shows the active settings
- turn on the M40
- make sure that the mixer (and amp if not a powered mixer) are turned on, spend some time playing to get the levels right
- play and enjoy.

Note: These accordions are from the 80's and use electronics that degrades over time causing failures. You may find it needs repairing. I have the schematics for this accordion/tone generator and for the healthy sum of exactly $0 can make them available to you if needed... lol.
Thank you Jerry for taking the time to help me out with the setup and the Midi download link. I have everything setup as described, unfortunately I am lost on the audio cable side of things as well since i haven't played a musical instrument since i was a child. I do have the foot pedal for the MS40.

Some of the roadblocks that I am still encountering are:
- Will I need a mixer for this setup?
- Routing of audio cables. (I do have all cables that came with it from my father)

On the topic of the electronics being older, I am able to diagnose and repair electronics, so I may just do a full rebuild of the electronics in the future. It would be greatly appreciated if you could send me the schematics. I know that everything worked the last time it was played, which would have been maybe 6 months ago. I am probably getting ahead of myself with the electric side of things. I need to learn how to play it acoustically first... lol. So far just learning the notes and chords (Thanks to Dale Mathis' online lessons) has been more than fulfilling. I am sure the frustrating part will follow shortly 😂.

How to turn on:
- turn on the M40
- play and enjoy.

How to turn on:
- turn on the M40
- play and enjoy.

Thank you Jerry for taking the time to help me out with the setup and the Midi download link. I have everything setup as described, unfortunately I am lost on the audio cable side of things as well since i haven't played a musical instrument since i was a child. I do have the foot pedal for the MS40.

- Routing of audio cables. (I do have all cables that came with it from my father)

On the topic of the electronics being older, I am able to diagnose and repair electronics, so I may just do a full rebuild of the electronics in the future. It would be greatly appreciated if you could send me the schematics. I know that everything worked the last time it was played, which would have been maybe 6 months ago. I am probably getting ahead of myself with the electric side of things. I need to learn how to play it acoustically first... lol. So far just learning the notes and chords (Thanks to Dale Mathis' online lessons) has been more than fulfilling. I am sure the frustrating part will follow shortly 😂.

Yes you will need something with a MINIMUM of 5 inputs (you might get away with 4 if you go MONO sound out from the arranger):

1 - one from the Elka tone generator "GENERAL output to the mixer
2 - two from the accordion stereo output to the mixer
3 - two from the arranger (stereo) outputs to the mixer

I used to go a lot heavier for more control:
4 from the tone generator
- general
- flute
- strings & solo
- bass

20240301_175058.jpg
Above you see the midi cable on the bottom just bekow the GENERAL output, that went to the arranger's MIDI IN. The cable at the way bottom left is the cable that goes in to the Elka's big square socket (don't think you need help with that, right?).

2 from the accordion
- left hand
- right hand
20240301_175408.jpg
4 from the arranger output
- left channel
- right channel
- split 1 (whatever instruments I want to place on that channel)
- split 2 (whatever other instruments I want to place on that channel)

... which I did because I loved creating a stereo image. The mixer leads to a 2 channel amp and went out to a pair of Bose 802-E speakers.

20240301_175119.jpg
Above is the RIGHT BOTTOM side of the tone generator. far left, that is where you plug in the pedal. Far right, 110V power. That red button is the power on/off button for the tone generator, thats ALWAYS the FIRST thing you turn on (tone generator, mixer with all faders down to minimum, amplifier). Saves the speakers from inadvertant pops.

I have a question pertaining to the set up of an Elkavox 83 accordion that I inherited from my father. I've got the accordion, tone generator, and a Solton MS40. I have asked his band members if they knew how he had set it up, to no avail. I am new to the accordion, and would like to continue on in honor of my father. Can anyone give me input as to how to set the system up? Thank you
It's a lovely thing you're doing, but this might be one of the most difficult possible starting points, something that might confuse all but the most, ah, seasoned, players. I wonder if you might be happier, and a bit less frustrated, while stile honoring your dad's memory, starting with more of a student sized piano accordion and working your way up to that one?

On the other hand, if you master that, it's all downhill, right?

Well, facts are that the Elka is not a huge accordion, has a good sound and if used, will be honored by the son, so I think that for an adult, why not start there? I agree that jumping in to the full boat electronics section is very optimistic without a strong grasp of the basics. For some it could even be a distraction to being able to advance as you are spending time learning how to play with an arranger instead of focusing on building a good musical foundation.

Well, facts are that the Elka is not a huge accordion, has a good sound and if used, will be honored by the son, so I think that for an adult, why not start there? I agree that jumping in to the full boat electronics section is very optimistic without a strong grasp of the basics. For some it could even be a distraction to being able to advance as you are spending time learning how to play with an arranger instead of focusing on building a good musical foundation.

I absolutely defer to your judgment in this matter, I just messed around with a Cordovox with the tone generator and it seemed like a lot to me.

I absolutely defer to your judgment in this matter, I just messed around with a Cordovox with the tone generator and it seemed like a lot to me.
I don't want to scare or deter anyone, but...

The Elka WITH an arranger is even more intense than just a cordovox. Imagine a Cordovox with 5 times more sonic options, now toss in all related challenges associated with using an arranger (trust me, it took me several weeks of focused work and 10 hour days to get the X4 under my belt, and that was with a STRONG education in accordion!), before I was ready to gig with it. I spent a good month just getting to know the Elka before touching the arranger.

I actually started with the Wilgamat, the original arranger that came with the Elka, then a Solton Programmer 24 and then the Ketron X4.

Just inserting the start/intro/drum solos/variations/endings/stops perfect so that it sounds natural is an exercise in agility and mental focus... imagine trying to play, both hands 100% occupied, reading music and now manipulating 5-7 switches.

Even today with the FR-8X and BK-7m, it takes concentration and focus on my end... no, Its not easy. :)

The Elka WITH an arranger is even more intense than just a cordovox. Imagine a Cordovox with 5 times more sonic options, now toss in all related challenges associated with using an arranger (trust me, it took me several weeks of focused work and 10 hour days to get the X4 under my belt, and that was with a STRONG education in accordion!), before I was ready to gig with it. I spent a good month just getting to know the Elka before touching the arranger.

I actually started with the Wilgamat, the original arranger that came with the Elka, then a Solton Programmer 24 and then the Ketron X4.

Just inserting the start/intro/drum solos/variations/endings/stops perfect so that it sounds natural is an exercise in agility and mental focus... imagine trying to play, both hands 100% occupied, reading music and now manipulating 5-7 switches.

Even today with the FR-8X and BK-7m, it takes concentration and focus on my end... no, Its not easy. :)
If you can just play the accordion, without the arranger or tone generator, maybe that's where to start? If you're going to use all the other stuff later, I suppose getting used to it being part of the accordion is good now?

If you can just play the accordion, without the arranger or tone generator, maybe that's where to start? If you're going to use all the other stuff later, I suppose getting used to it being part of the accordion is good now?
My 2 cent opinion is to learn accordion first, at least to some apperciable standard, then move to the electronics and then after that, the arranger. Thats me, certainly not the way others may want to do it.

I want to build my musical home on a strong foundation before building the roof, as building a home on quicksand is not the best of ideas. ;)

My 2 cent opinion is to learn accordion first, at least to some apperciable standard, then move to the electronics and then after that, the arranger. Thats me, certainly not the way others may want to do it.

I want to build my musical home on a strong foundation before building the roof, as building a home on quicksand is not the best of ideas. ;)
I totally agree! I wasn't clear above - what I meant was, if you plan to eventually use all the other features, just get used to working with an accordion that has all that on there, even from just a weight perspective, perhaps? Not that you had to leap into it, but if it's a good acoustic accordion, and you don't have to use all the rest to play it, just do that to start?

i am putting my money on DH mostly wanting,
just one time, to get the whole damn thing
working like his Dad had it going so that he can
get closer to the memory.. closer to his Dad's
working reality, that made him his childhood hero.

i bet he appreciates that memory, maybe more so now
than ever..

so yeah dude, get it all hooked up and take a run at it,
whether it becomes a new hobby or just a 24 hour
damn that was cool walked a mile in his shoes kinda thing..

glad we have jerry here to help you take a shot at it..
believe me there are few of us Organ Accordion guys who
lived and died with these beasts left on earth

have fun ! take no prisoners ! Rock On !

Hmmm. :D
You know, sometimes my background blinds me to the obvious. I am mr dedicated, mr structured, mr shortest route to a goal is a straight line... and life is just NOT like that. I see where you are taking this Ventura, and I cannot say that it is wrong.

If I was in his place, the FIRST thing I would want to do is get it all together and make some noise too!!!

Let's see if later on I can make some kind of video that shows how to toss it all together. Heck, I've not played it for so long I likely forgot half the things that make this setup great! :)

Well done Jerry I agree with you...... I'm speaking as a player that gigged with the Elkavox 83 for about 20 plus years using a Technics smac 1200 accomps module via midi . It was a great set up and never let me down and had a great sound . . the great Technics styles and top quality extra soft ware styles that Technics produced made the instrument sound great .......and made me sound very good and my Audiences very happy.

I loved that set up ..................Happy days great times and very happy memories ............
If I remember correctly the midi channels were 1 right hand 2 bass buttons 4 chords
If you are new to the module accomps type set up it takes a little time to get used to it all .
I had foot pedals to control , intro/ending start/stop fill/drum break
plus separate volume control for the accomps module .

I controlled The Elkavox volume from the volume pedal that came with the instrument . I forgot to mention I also used a 6 channel mixer amp

At the risk of being redundant: store the electronics away for now safely and start with learning to play the accordion. The instrument should be a good one for that purpose. If at one point of time you decide to give it to an accordion tuner/fixer and they offer to remove all the electronics, refuse that option since you have everything needed for making the electronics live again and since that is what your father did, too.

But everything hinges on being able to play the accordion, so that's where to spend the effort for now, with very little point in also fighting with the electronics at the same time.

Hmmm. :D
You know, sometimes my background blinds me to the obvious. I am mr dedicated, mr structured, mr shortest route to a goal is a straight line... and life is just NOT like that. I see where you are taking this Ventura, and I cannot say that it is wrong.

If I was in his place, the FIRST thing I would want to do is get it all together and make some noise too!!!

Let's see if later on I can make some kind of video that shows how to toss it all together. Heck, I've not played it for so long I likely forgot half the things that make this setup great! :)
I want to thank you again for taking the time that you have, to lay everything out in a way that makes sense to me as well as your honest opinions, which I am acknowledging whole heartedly. He did have a mixer and amp which I was able to get a hold of so it can be fully set up as intended. I agree with you fully on the fact that I need to learn through dedication and taking lessons before delving into the electronic side of things. Which I will be doing. Ventura hit the nail on the head. I am just looking for the knowledge to be able to set everything up as my father had for future use. Hopefully within a few years of hard work and dedication, I can delve into the electronic side of things. Until then I will just enjoy the process of learning how to play.

At the risk of being redundant: store the electronics away for now safely and start with learning to play the accordion. The instrument should be a good one for that purpose. If at one point of time you decide to give it to an accordion tuner/fixer and they offer to remove all the electronics, refuse that option since you have everything needed for making the electronics live again and since that is what your father did, too.

But everything hinges on being able to play the accordion, so that's where to spend the effort for now, with very little point in also fighting with the electronics at the same time.
I agree. My first focus is to learn how to play. I was just reaching out to have the knowledge for when I get to the point where I feel comfortable enough to dive into the full capabilities of the accordion.

i bet he appreciates that memory, maybe more so now
than ever..

so yeah dude, get it all hooked up and take a run at it,
whether it becomes a new hobby or just a 24 hour
damn that was cool walked a mile in his shoes kinda thing..

glad we have jerry here to help you take a shot at it..
believe me there are few of us Organ Accordion guys who
lived and died with these beasts left on earth

have fun ! take no prisoners ! Rock On !
You nailed it! Once I have the knowledge to set everything up, I will probably mess around a bit and see what it can do. That being said, I will be taking lessons and learning how to play it accoustically first. Until I learn how to play it with some sort of proficiency the electronics will be put to the side.

Let me see if I can make it a bit easier for you… give me a couple of days to make a short video on how to connect it to a small mixer. I’ll post it here once done. It will at least give me a chance to see if mine even still works. :)

Let me see if I can make it a bit easier for you… give me a couple of days to make a short video on how to connect it to a small mixer. I’ll post it here once done. It will at least give me a chance to see if mine even still works. :)
That would be greatly appreciated. The support on this forum has gone above and beyond my expectations. I mentioned this site to my brother since he inherited my Dad's PANcordion and we were having trouble identifying the model. But that's for another thread. 😃 🪗

Back