• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Help 96 bass Weltmeister Monte Piano Accordion

Reaction score
I just received my new 96 bass Weltmeister Monte Ltd. Wood key accordion from Laabs. This may be the dumbest question to post. Since new to forum, forgive me. I cannot find bass registers. I hopeI did not just spend 3K+ and only one bass sound

Attachments

• 9B8B69D4-18DA-4E1B-AA5A-96E9C4771794.jpeg
    9B8B69D4-18DA-4E1B-AA5A-96E9C4771794.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 91330FF2-586E-401C-A854-2DFD10E82745.jpeg
    91330FF2-586E-401C-A854-2DFD10E82745.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 3C0E2784-72BD-4B2D-96D1-8F6D8CB9D06A.jpeg
    3C0E2784-72BD-4B2D-96D1-8F6D8CB9D06A.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 26
I cannot find bass registers.

Because there is 0 of them?

According to this:

Walnut Monte Nature Helikon​
Piano Accordion 17.5" 37/96 22lbs​
Reeds 4/5 LMMM, Registers 11/0
Helikon bass and triple musette.​
At 1:58, the gentleman specifically said that there was no room for the bass registers.

Last edited:
you bought a nice specialty accordion
as opposed to a more general purpose accordion
and it is likely very well suited for it's intended purpose

the helikon bass probably sound awesome and suits the music
and so why use anything else.. perhaps the reasoning behind it..
so for this model money is saved for most people

i hope you will grow to like it the more you play it

THANK YOU! Music to my ear. GORGEOUS sounding instrument, perfect fit, and I doubt I will call Troy at Laabs. THIS WAS TRULY my fault. Been playing since the 50s and my very first brand new accordion. If you or anyone knows of a new 96 bass 17 1/2 -18” with registers AND REEDS, please please suggest. I favor Paolo Soprani and am currently mostly playing the ‘56 Madame

If u pm me I'll explain how to create the base sound. U only need 1 base sound best if it's full voice. As per Ventura's suggestion.
Godgi.
"Don't worry as the song says"
Sorry i am editing this post as it appears that it is a Helicon style base. I am not familiar with this base sound and therefore i am not sure if the normal base techniques apply.
Godgi

Last edited:
THANK YOU! Music to my ear. GORGEOUS sounding instrument, perfect fit, and I doubt I will call Troy at Laabs. THIS WAS TRULY my fault. Been playing since the 50s and my very first brand new accordion. If you or anyone knows of a new 96 bass 17 1/2 -18” with registers AND REEDS, please please suggest. I favor Paolo Soprani and am currently mostly playing the ‘56 Madame
Laabs’ prices are the lowest but they don’t come without some risk. You will only get what you ask for, which may not always be what you want.
I’m very happy with the Super Paolo 37/96 I bought from him last year. My first new accordion as well.

I've got that accordion's 72-bass sibling and absolutely love it! The Monte line is inspired by a very distinctive type of accordion called a Steirische Harmonika. That's why it has that woodgrain look and those little silver horn thingies. And that's why most Montes have what's called a "Helikon" bass, which is designed to have a powerful tuba-like tone. Helikon bass accordions typically don't have LH register switches. (At least I've never seen one that I can recall...)

All that said, as much as I enjoy my Monte, the Helikon bass does make it most suitable to alpine folk music and that sort of thing. It doesn't really work well for other styles, so I can see how having it as your one-and-only accordion might be problematic. Be tough to send that one back though... I'd be looking around the house for things I could sell in order to just buy a second accordion to go with it. :)

BTW, I think the latest incarnation of Weltmeister has switched to faux woodgrain celluloid for the Monte, rather than a real wood finish. So you've got a bit of a collector's item on your hands too!

Last edited:
I've got that accordion's 72-bass sibling and absolutely love it! The Monte line is inspired by a very distinctive type of accordion called a Steirische Harmonika. That's why it has that woodgrain look and those little silver horn thingies. And that's why most Montes have what's called a "Helikon" bass, which is designed to have a powerful tuba-like tone. Helikon bass accordions typically don't have LH register switches. (At least I've never seen one that I can recall...)

All that said, as much as I enjoy my Monte, the Helikon bass does make it most suitable to alpine folk music and that sort of thing. It doesn't really work well for other styles, so I can see how having it as your one-and-only accordion might be problematic. Be tough to send that one back though... I'd be looking around the house for things I could sell in order to just buy a second accordion to go with it. :)

BTW, I think the latest incarnation of Weltmeister has switched to faux woodgrain celluloid for the Monte, rather than a real wood finish. So you've got a bit of a collector's item on your hands too!
Thanks for post! I did find a Monte 37/96 with three bass reeds. Hoe no issue in exchange. THAT is a lot of $$$$ to spend on a new accordion with no bass registers42BA742B-E37F-49B9-9835-586C3D70F593.jpeg

Back