• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hello from Toronto, Ontario

Briegley

Reaction score
Hello new friends! I'm happy to be welcoming a Finnish Kouvola Oy Harmonikka 'Queen' Model (Like this one https://vapaalehdykka.net/harmonikkagalleria/kuningatar-4/ ) from 1956 into my home as a new challenge and have quite a few details about it, but a lack of accordion knowledge to take me the next leg of the way. At the moment I play a diatonic anglo concertina, and baritone ukelele, so this will be familiar only in that it's completely different and non-standard in north america haha.

Already I've benefitted quite a bit from my reading here, and I'm looking forward to learning more!
If anyone has book or resource recommendations I'd love to hear suggestions!

I still have to decipher it completely, but believe its a Finnish Chromatic C-System Free Bass, which means for the right treble hand that the 'normal' C-System 'C' row starts on the third row instead of the first if I'm reading up right, and the left bass hand is a pretty standard a C-System Chromatic Bass System that is shifted one step closer to the bellows. Crossing my fingers hoping it's as clear and easy as this haha.

Nice to meet you all!
Brie

Hi Briegley and welcome to the club. That sounds like an interesting accordion.
If you download the Roland FR4xb or FR8xb owners manual from the Roland website, it will give you the fingering for treble and bass sides of all the different types of CBAs.

Welcome Breigley,

I also think that the Roland site can help you to decipher the layout of the Finnish chromatic system which I don't play so I can't say definitely how useful this is. I also hope that your accordion is in good shape because 1956 was a long time ago and these instruments deteriorate with age and it may be difficult to replace In Canada . Welcome to the forum and many happy hours with your accordion

Thanks everyone!
Got my hands on it today and I'm pretty happy so far! The Roland manual does indeed have a Finnish C-Griff layout as well as many others thanks! That will help a lot.

Sound is more wonderfully robust than I hoped and pins look clean and straight on inspection of the inside and nothing is really sticking on a quick play. The four registers click cleanly.

It's seen some love. One button is replaced on the bottom left, and there's some wear on the case but it seems solid otherwise. Straps adjust and seem comfy though.

Couple videos on arrival if anyone is curious:

Attachments

• 20221022_162646.jpg
    20221022_162646.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221022_165413.jpg
    20221022_165413.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 7
Joy, writ large.
There is nothing quite like it.
You're in for a great adventure.

PS: An Anglo player in Toronto. That must be another story.

Back