• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hello and looking for information

CCI

Reaction score
Good afternoon folks.
I am looking for some expertise on an old accordion that I have. It is a suprov cordovox. I belonged to my father who is now deceased. I’m thinking of selling it. I know it goes back a ways. If anybody could provide some insight on it based on the pictures I’ve attached, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4548.jpeg
    IMG_4548.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4549.jpeg
    IMG_4549.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 17
That label is not "Suprov" but "Super V" which would presumably make it an instrument based on the Scandalli Super V. The electronics in a Cordovox usually are to a good degree externalized, so you should really really look in the belongings of your father for some "power supply" or "amp" with a cable fitting that instrument: otherwise the electronics and controls are more or less dead weight. Don't sell the instrument separate from that clunky box of electronics; that's kind of selling the left and right half of a racing horse to different bidders and will make noone happy. Hope you didn't trash it yet.

The instrument is a reasonably good one acoustically, but contacts and electronics make for an unattractive look and weight when they are not usable. When the electronics work, they provide justification for both looks and weight even if the sound as such is not what people would look for today. But it is designed to blend well with the accordion sounds.

Last edited:
I am looking for some expertise on an old accordion that I have
Hi and welcome CCI!🙂
Here, for comparison, we have a lesser member of the Cordovox family, but one with it's amplifier :
Here's a Super V:
Showing the equipment connected up and operating:
Another Super V with all the gear:
🙂

Last edited:
note the 2 rows of contacts for the connecting cable

this indicates a tube type (the original series from the 1960's)
which comes with two huge, wide cabinets. a tone genereator
and the power supply/amp cabinet with 2 round speakers
and a volume pedal

these are single axle keyboards, 3 reed treble, heavy as sin.
the electronic components are sourced from Lowrey Organ co.
overall design with electronic assembly by Chicago Music co.

very very few are still complete, almost none still work at all,
fewer still work correctly, parts are unavailable

should be enjoyed as a curiosity item

That label is not "Suprov" but "Super V" which would presumably make it an instrument based on the Scandalli Super V. The electronics in a Cordovox usually are to a good degree externalized, so you should really really look in the belongings of your father for some "power supply" or "amp" with a cable fitting that instrument: otherwise the electronics and controls are more or less dead weight. Don't sell the instrument separate from that clunky box of electronics; that's kind of selling the left and right half of a racing horse to different bidders and will make noone happy. Hope you didn't trash it yet.

The instrument is a reasonably good one acoustically, but contacts and electronics make for an unattractive look and weight when they are not usable. When the electronics work, they provide justification for both looks and weight even if the sound as such is not what people would look for today. But it is designed to blend well with the accordion sounds.
Thanks Dak.
Unfortunately the Cordovox amps are gone. Instrument cables as well. Based on the fact that the instrument is in good shape, what do you think is a reasonable asking price?

Unfortunately the Cordovox amps are gone. Instrument cables as well. Based on the fact that the instrument is in good shape, what do you think is a reasonable asking price?
Try asking the people who bought the amp off you. They might be interested to add what amounts to about the highest rated Cordovox accordion to their setup, possibly replacing a worse model that they got the amp for.

Properly removing the electronics and recreating the looks of a purely acoustic accordion will not be a reasonable value proposition.

Try asking the people who bought the amp off you. They might be interested to add what amounts to about the highest rated Cordovox accordion to their setup, possibly replacing a worse model that they got the amp for.

Properly removing the electronics and recreating the looks of a purely acoustic accordion will not be a reasonable value proposition.
Thanks for your help dak, much appreciated.

Hi and welcome CCI!🙂
Here, for comparison, we have a lesser member of the Cordovox family, but one with it's amplifier :
Here's a Super V:
Showing the equipment connected up and operating:
Another Super V with all the gear:
🙂
Interestingly, I don't get the kind of cognitive dissonance for this look/sound combination that I experience with some orchestral patch uses of digital accordions.

Back