• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hello from Minnesota

Tom N

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m Tom, a new member. I’ve picked up my old piano accordion for fun and occasionally to use in small performances. I am enjoying exploration of this instrument with its rich history and musical styles. I like Slovenian and Tex-Mex styles a lot. I’m just getting a toehold in the classical styles I’ve discovered on YouTube videos.

Question: My first post disappeared from the site minutes after I posted it. Any idea what happened?

I’m Tom, a new member. I’ve picked up my old piano accordion for fun and occasionally to use in small performances. I am enjoying exploration of this instrument with its rich history and musical styles. I like Slovenian and Tex-Mex styles a lot. I’m just getting a toehold in the classical styles I’ve discovered on YouTube videos.

Question: My first post disappeared from the site minutes after I posted it. Any idea what happened?
Welcome Tom! Wow, great name for the forum! ☺️😉☺️

I hope you enjoy the forum as well as your new accordion playing.

This forum is run by “Knobby” who maintains it out of the goodness of his heart; it is not a flashy commercial site and sometimes weird things happen. Hard to say what happened to your first post. Don’t worry, be happy! Hope to hear more about your journey.

Welcome, where is Grand Marais in MN? My Dad was born and grew up in the Southwest part of the state.

Northern shore of Lake Superior, about 40 minutes west of the Canadian border.

Welcome Tom! I like Slovenian too. Both of my grandparents were Slovenian. I can play a Cleveland style (Yankovic) Polka. Until I was 8 (a long time ago), I grew up in Euclid, OH where the Polka Hall Of Fame is today.

You have to be up North quite a ways. We're supposed to get a low of 8 Deg. tonight. I am about 25 miles Southwest of Cleveland, OH. Where you are, you will probably go below zero.

Northern shore of Lake Superior, about 40 minutes west of the Canadian border.
It must be really cold up your way. It's 2 degrees here in Topeka with a nice northerly wind blowing :). More time to practice in my beginner accordion books!

Hello Tom! I made me shiver just looking up Grand Marais on the map! (I‘m long transplanted from PA and I thought that was cold - here in East TN the temp has dropped to 37F tonight and now even that makes me want to hibernate.)

I’m a rank beginner on the accordion, progress on hold for new due to shoulder surgery but love the sound and hope to get back to learning in a few months. I‘m not familiar with Slovenian style but will ask Sir Google to point me towards some. Can you suggest any favorites I could look for?

JKJ

Yes! my first introduction to Slovenian was the Tom Brusky band in Milwauke, Wisconsin.
https://www.tombrusky.com/band.html listen to the example of the 4-piece band. i find that style has a lot of noodling/ornamentation by the accordion. His web site says Slovenian style, also known as the Cleveland style, which is the most popular style of polka music in Southern Wisconsin and across the Penn-Ohio "polka belt".

Back