• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

hello from Amsterdam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marije

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a tap dancer from Amsterdam, and I've just rediscovered my love for accordion 1,5 year ago. I got my first accordion, an old excelsior, when I turned 18 (which I preferred over getting my drivers license...)

For years I played only occasionally, and knew only one song (la valse, by Les Negresses Vertes)
Now I'm studying different kinds of folk traditions (irish, klezmer/sephardic and balkan/east Europe) and enjoying very much. Also I've started to use it in small performances (I work in theatre).

I re-started on a venerable old Monarch, full lady size with very narrow keys, perfect for my hands. She is blond, with yellow sparkly keys :D  The sound is very beautiful, but a bit humble. Chamber quality..

Recently I got a good price on a beautiful new Serenellini Regina Gold 96 bass with cassotto, which at first was too big and heavy for me (injuries!) but after getting some amazing ergonomic tips from a professional player, I can manage and enjoy very much!

Then I have a hohner concerto 48 bass for parades etc. It is a cheap old one but immaculate inside and never repaired even, which my accordeon tuner was very amazed by. Actually, the sound is pretty great for outside!

Now finally I'm looking for light weight 72 bass for theatre performances where I need to move around.
It has to have a warm sound, 3 voices and enough projection to fill a large space with lots of people inside... hmmmm. :angel: 

ok, that's it for now, happy to have found this forum!

Hi Maije,

I am also happy that you have found this forum, and feel sure that you will derive pleasure and inspiration in equal measure.

As for your desire to find a light 72 Bass instrument, I'm afraid that you will receive a great many well-intentioned offers of advice on the subject of suitable makes & models.

There are (probably) many reputable dealers in your fine city, so my only piece of advice is that you explore possibilities with them.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Stephen!
Thanks for your reply! Nice to meet you!

Good advice is really hard to find.. it's true. Also, strangely enough in my tiny country most of the dealers are in the far north or south.. so it's still a fair drive to get there and try out an instrument. To then check out a couple and drive back and forth, it takes more time than I have, sadly..

Also, the dealers are not always saying the same things, of course... :D
There seem to be some good people around here, who know a lot so I'm just hoping to get some angles by people who are not directly involved in the sale of the instrument ;-)

Welcome Marije,

Sadly I cannot offer a lot of advice on lightweight instruments, but I'm hopeful that Jozz will chime in as he knows all about good small accordions for use on stage. If I remember correctly he has a small Bugari that was special order with a-mano reeds for better sound.

Greetings from Eindhoven!

Welcome Marije! Maybe going with another "lady size" with the sound you want is the way to go. I don't know if they make "lady size" in 72 bass, but someone can correct me. Good luck!

Hi Marije,

All I was trying to do was impress upon you that choosing an accordion (or any other instrument) is almost purely subjective. The instrument that you will eventually choose may not suit others, but will be your pride and joy.

As Paul said, Jozz lives in your country, and will be a great source of information about the accordion market there. He may not have seen your post yet, but you could always send him a PM to ask his advice.

Whatever happens, just enjoy yourself.......... Nothing else matters.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen Hawkins said:
Hi Marije,

All I was trying to do was impress upon you that choosing an accordion (or any other instrument) is almost purely subjective.  The instrument that you will eventually choose may not suit others, but will be your pride and joy.  

As Paul said, Jozz lives in your country, and will be a great source of information about the accordion market there.  He may not have seen your post yet, but you could always send him a PM to ask his advice.

Whatever happens, just enjoy yourself..........  Nothing else matters.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Marije and welcome to the forum.

The smaller three voice accordions often lack volume, which can vary quite a bit, depending on the reeds and maker. 

Some makes are known to be louder than others, but I don't know very much at all about PAs (piano key accordions). 

As Stephen Hawkins has mentioned, member Jozz is situated in The Netherlands and should be able to advise you on what is available in your part of the world. 

If you had been a CBA player (chromatic button accordion) I would have suggested a Maugein Export, two voice LM or MM. 

Small accordion with big sound. 

You may need to consider amplification, and I believe Jozz knows a lot about that as well.  

I'm originally from Glasgow in Scotland and there was an old joke there about tap dancing. 

In the UK a "tap" is what you might call a "gootsteenkraan."

A man attended hospital with a broken ankle and the doctor asked him if he'd done it whilst playing football. 

He said "No, I'm a tap dancer and fell off the sink!" 

Good luck in finding a suitable instrument. Hope it's better than my jokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back