• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Greetings from Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skari

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings from very cold Minneapolis. I kept bumping into the accordionists info forum when I googled various topics, so I decided to join up.

When I retired, my first priority was to learn Norwegian. That took a few years, and then I dusted off my old GCF diatonic and started taking lessons from a world-class teacher Helmi Harrington. It wasn't long before I was playing a club accordion using tablature and a steirische harmonika by note. A bit later she let me borrow a studio Titano CBA, which I eventually purchased and started down another path. My CBA collection has expanded to the point I will have to sell one or two. It seems I am as much a collector as a player.

I started way too late in life to ever achieve much more than the intermediate level. That's OK. I am having a lot of fun and learning a bunch from you all.

Welcome Skari!

Welcome Skari !??
Hmm, Minneapolis: is that the home of a long-running radio series called "The little house on the prairie"??
I remember listening to that several decades ago. The monologues by the compere were particularly entertaining
You could say it preceded "Seinfeld " in being (a most amusing) "show about nothing!" ??

The show was A Prairie Home Companion and it was a Saturday evening tradition at our house for many years. But all things fade away and finally some female co-workers accused the host of unwanted attention. That was the end. If they would have featured more accordion players, who knows? It might still be on the air.

You should fit in well.

Am a few states west of you.. but my Norwegian girlfriend and mother-in-law wish there were more people speaking the language to inspire them to learn and be able to communicate better with their cousins, and I wish there were more CBAs for sale :)

welcome, in my life I met only one person out of Minneapolis and it was Cory Wong! (maybe he lives somewhere else now, I don't know)

You should fit in well.

Am a few states west of you.. but my Norwegian girlfriend and mother-in-law wish there were more people speaking the language to inspire them to learn and be able to communicate better with their cousins, and I wish there were more CBAs for sale :)
I will be selling one soon. A Pigini Super Compact converter.

Welcome Skari !??
Hmm, Minneapolis: is that the home of a long-running radio series called "The little house on the prairie"??
I remember listening to that several decades ago. The monologues by the compere were particularly entertaining
You could say it preceded "Seinfeld " in being (a most amusing) "show about nothing!" ??
"Little House" is from my state, Wisconsin, Dingo, one state over. Unfortunately, the instrument of choice was fiddle, not accordion. Minneapolis is a great, but challenged city at this point, imho, with a strong accordion history, with Accordion Heaven being the only accordion retailer for miles and miles around, weekly shows by the Accordion Cafe orchestra, and the former White Castle accordion/jewelry store. Also a strong concertina culture. There is also a great collector D. whom you can call if you need to sell ?.

I'm a proud U M gopher alumni, my daughter lives there now and just got her car broken into for the second time last night. Unfortunately she did not find 2 accordions left behind.

Thanks Tom!
The world has certainly changed since I was a boy, and all with the best of intentions!

Reactions: Tom
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back