• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Greetings from Manchester.

Tongle

They said it was easy! They lied!
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I thought I'd say hello.
I, like many, have a room full of instruments from mandolin, guitar, synths to melodeon and flute. Guess I just love playing music.
After years as a rock / am-dram guitarist I've got back into English / Irish music which funnily enough is where I began
Just bought a 2nd hand Hering 80 bass Accordion. It has a powerful clear sound but when I select 2 voices the tuning seems off to me (very warbly).
Bass end sounds good so I think it's one set of treble reeds which need tweaking.
Does anyone know of a technician/repair in the Northwest of UK (Greater Manchester)?
I know there's the Accordion Shop but postage would be extortionate. Shame because it used to be in Rochdale too but closed.
Any help greatly appreciated.
In the meantime I can begin my learning journey with one voice and some bass which is fine for now.

when I select 2 voices the tuning seems off to me (very warbly).
Bass end sounds good so I think it's one set of treble reeds which need tweaking.
Welcome Tongle!πŸ™‚
I'm not familiar with your particular accordion but assume that the three voices it has are a low and two middles, so you are talking about playing the two middle (or all three) voices together.
In that case, it is normal to have one of these middle sets of reeds "detuned" in relation to the other to produce a "warbly " effect called a " musette ".
If this is what you're noticing, it's normal.
The amount of detuning varies from make to make and model to model and is influenced by regional cultural fashion.
It's something of an acquired taste and can vary, across examples, from pleasing to "gor blimey ".
Have an accordionist (or music store operative) check to see if that's what we're looking at. πŸ™‚
I seem to remember hearing of Manchester as being blessed with several good accordion shops and technicians. Google is your friend!πŸ™‚

Last edited:
Welcome. That detuning called wet tuning or "Musette". It shows two dots always side by side. Thats what is aimed to be :giggle:

Thanks for the replies.
I also play melodeon so perhaps am more used to 'dry' tuning.
This could be musette but it sounds a bit 'out' to me.
I could get the Reed blocks out which should enable posting if I can find someone to have a look.
I've attached a couple of pics.
It seems the voice buttons give a choice of either single or dual reeds (I assume repeated to enable selection from various areas on the keyboard? ).
For now I can begin to learn to play with the single voice to get going.

Attachments

• 20240415_071130.jpg
    20240415_071130.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240415_071139.jpg
    20240415_071139.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240415_071130.jpg
    20240415_071130.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 8
It seems the voice buttons give a choice of either single or dual reeds
OK, thanks for the pictures!πŸ™‚
These pictures of the coupler switches suggest your accordion has two (not three) voices ( a low and a middle).
Therefore it doesn't actually have a musette tuning, so you could well be right that one set of reeds is actually needing retuning.
Having two voices is still very good as when properly in tune it sounds great and is lighter to carry than one with three voices.
Also, there's less to tune!πŸ™‚
Two voiced accordions were quite commonly made in the day.πŸ™‚

That's good to know. Think I may have found someone to tune the reeds too which is good.
Can you explain why there's 5 switches if only 2 voices? Ease of access?

This instrument model may make you happy, being used to melodeon, but a full potential of accordion needs 3 set of reeds at least. Which will make some sort of nice sound color combinations you would have enjoyed. This is a two reed blocked instrument, it is common to have repeat (same) switches to make look like the instrument more rich. This is not a musette as Dingo40 says, no side by side dots, you have enough ear sensitivity, so you need tuning, also maybe a general check while you already going to service.

Can you explain why there's 5 switches if only 2 voices? Ease of access?
My personal opinion is, it's simply
"puffery" for sales promotion purposes: it gives the impression of being more than it is!πŸ€”
At first glance, it may give the impression it has 3 voices.
You won't find many top of the line models doubling up on coupler switches!πŸ˜„

Hering was a little Brazilian maker, run by a German emigre. Here's an example. I don't speak Portuguese. It looks like it it has a cassotto-like feature that can be flipped on or off independent of the register.

It looks like it it has a cassotto-like feature that can be flipped on or off independent of the register.
Well found Ed !πŸ‘
It's amazing how, from time to time, a given feature takes off, be it in the motor car industry (fins, chrome bumpers) or in the accordion world (such as these mutes)πŸ€”
This trapdoor like kind of "mute", colloquially known as "billy lids" around here, was a prominent feature of several accordion makes in its day.
Such as this Scandalli Polifonico:

Hering was a little Brazilian maker, run by a German emigre. Here's an example. I don't speak Portuguese. It looks like it it has a cassotto-like feature that can be flipped on or off independent of the register.
Very good to hear about the maker. I think mine is a more basic model but it sounded much better when compared to a Scarlatti. I may have found someone to tune it. Just hope it doesn't cost too much.

Back