• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Freebass accordion left hand position

I'm not an advanced played, but I do use the stradella bass/counter bass in a couple of pieces where there is a very big jump in the LH and the music goes fast.

The one problem is the alignment of notes seems to be different between manufacturers which is kinda annoying!
I have not had this issue until now. On the three convertor accordions we have (one Russian bayan, two Bugari) the melody bass has a C where in Stradella the G major is. When I ordered the bayan I asked them to only mark C and F on the first and third row of the melody bass so as to avoid mixing up the C melody bass on the fourth row with the C base note for the Stradella (these two are very close to each other).
I believe that this layout is pretty standard on 120 bass convertor accordions (with C system melody bass).

I'm not an advanced played, but I do use the stradella bass/counter bass in a couple of pieces where there is a very big jump in the LH and the music goes fast.

The one problem is the alignment of notes seems to be different between manufacturers which is kinda annoying!
Chest....if I can't make the leap I'll substitute another chord tone to get me past the disaster spot....desperation is the mother of invention as Mr Zappa used to say...😉

Hello forum,

I'm a total beginner at accordion. I have bought a small freebass accordion (like this model https://www.musik-center.de/fr/hohn...rJ_bNP5AGSV9gdswmG4bRF0bK2iVSOusaAs9bEALw_wcB)

As this accordion is a bit small I found it difficult to play in sitting position (I cannot fix a corner against my thigh) so I decided to play standing.

I tried to practice some basic scales on left hand, however I found that whenever I move my left hand up and down to reach the keys, I lose control of the bellow and it makes big noise. I don't know what would be the best technics for the left hand position / movement, and I found little resources on internet.. Would someone be kindly suggest how to move left hand without losing control of bellow ? Thanks !

Regards,
Pierre
How is it going?

I would like to precise that the loss of control happens when I try to move left hand while holding one button (because I want a legato)

For example I was doing C major scale 2323234 (move hand) 2, and it's particularly difficult to move hand while I was pressing with 4th finger. I don't know what would be the correct way to do that
Would be the best to watch you play to figure out more precisely what's wrong.

Another thing to consider is that on a fb accordion I found it hard/almost impossible to do hand shifts down on the push and up on the pull.
Less of an issue on a moschino, but a lot more noticeable on 3-row chromatic systems. I think it's just the nature of the beast, as your left hand is already fully loaded controlling the bellows.
I’ve accepted the fact that I need to take the time to sometimes carefully plan my bellows opening and closings for this reason in the same way that one plans out bellows movement to assure that you’re not changing direction mid phrase (or worse, mid note.) Not really different from the way string players need to write in detailed bowing direction.

Not really different from the way string players need to write in detailed bowing direction.
For doublebass there's an easier solution to this problem.
l.jpg

On the bando I do not feel like the left hand is restricted, as I can just drive the bellows with the right when I need to change hand position.

Back