• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Replacement freebass/stradella piano accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anthonyschulz

Hi,
I currently play a Giulietti Super Continental, it has been a wonderful instrument but is getting a bit old and difficult to travel with due to its size and weight. It has an extended keyboard (low E to high C and 4 row FB plus stradella). The issue is that it is nearly impossible to try new instruments in Australia. I need recommendations of contemporary instruments that are as refined as the Giulietti but preferably lighter. Must be straight tuned and with delicate middle reed. I play classical and jazz. Any suggestions to get me started?
Anthony

Currently the most popular big names around here are Bugari and Pigini. (Bugari actually makes some others like Zero Sette and maybe others, and Pigini makes Hohner and Excelsior and maybe others.) The Bugari 289/ars/c4 has 45 notes on the right hand and 58 on the left hand. The Pigini 55/P45 has 45 notes on the right hand and 55 on the left hand, the 58/P45 has 58 on the left hand. The weight of such instruments is between 14 and 15 kg. The weight indicated on company websites is typically not reliable. The Pigini Bayan Sirius supposedly weights only 13kg despite of being 3 reeds (instead of 2) on the left hand side. It is a very expensive somewhat lighter construction but I would not believe the weight is really accurate.
The main problem in not being able to try instruments is that it is hard to judge how they will sound. You can order everything to spec (A 440 or 442 for instance, and how much or little tremolo, and which chin switches) but none of that determines the basic sound of the instrument. You can listen to some YouTube recordings but sound on YouTube is not always very good and representative of what to really expect.
I have owned and played a Bugari 289/ars/c5 for a few years (that's the 5-reed version). It is a fantastic instrument, not exactly light but none of them are. I only sold it because I changed to button accordion.

Well I will put in a pitch for a victoria. I had never tried one out either when I ordered it, but it is working out for me.

I purchased their poeta (A420VP) model about 6 months ago and really enjoy it. Mine is tuned the way that you have described (when ordering I just said dry tuned) and sounds better every day.

Their website with all of their models at:
http://www.accordions.it/

Other options that I looked at are the Brandoni and Siwa & Figli are another couple to look at.
As you can tell, I was looking for that finished wood look, rather than the black celluloid.

However If it is something that will travel well that you are after I would seriously consider getting a roland.

Anthony, I have a Pigini Superking and a Victoria Poeta - both stradella. The Superking and Poeta are 2 and 3-years old, respectively. The middle reed [in casotto] of the Superking is wonderfully sensitive - as is the low reed; the bellows and reed response of the superking is superior to the Poeta in terms of dynamic range...the Poeta is good for jazz, world music - but falls down a bit at the very quiet end of the dynamic range. Also, the SuperKing is extremely well balanced ergonomically. You could consider a Pigini convertor? As far as the stradella system goes - I prefer the sound of the Poeta bass-box to the Superking bass-box which is very bright in the tenor register reeds. UK accordionist Karen Street plays a Pigini convertor, and Im fairly certain she played a Giulietti prior to that - might be worth getting in touch and asking her for a comparison.
web: http://www.karenstreet.bigshedmusic.co.uk/
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/KarenStreetAccordion/feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back