• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Filuzzi Musica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great story Nick!!! We similarly had a giant festa, but at my relative's house in the country. Sadly, I have not remained in touch as you have done, but some day I would like to return.

Hmmmmm, we always though it ws an acronym for "with out passport." Maybe an urban legend. Who knows, we proud!

dunlustin pid=71703 dateline=1588341528 said:
re: rital.
Don`t feel the need to justify the info - up to you really - just seeking to avoid unnecessary offence or embarrassment.
Don`t think it has anything to do with sensitive Irish  people.
By the way, wop ( definitely offensive) is not linked to UK Forces but goes back to US Italian migration and a distortion of the word guapo

Hi Richard,

I do take the point you are making, and understand your reasoning behind it. 

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]I dont doubt that certain people in France, or elsewhere in the world, may find the term offensive, [/font]but Im just a bit confused why two French accordionists with Italian backgrounds would compose a tune by that very name, which crops up very frequently in articles concerning the history of French musette. 

Had I known usage of the term on the forum may have caused offence to anybody, I would certainly never have made reference to it.

The bit about the whiskey was one of my Irish themed jokes, which obviously fell flat under the road roller, as they are often prone to do. 

According to Gobbledygook Translate, guapo is a Spanish word meaning good looking, but Im not a well educated man. 

Justification of what you write can often be a chore on here, but for some reason I often find it necessary, as I have a habit of rabbiting on about stuff I dont know much about.

Hi MGN
Given your obvious passion for all things accordion and their origins, I did not for one moment believe you meant the reference to be derogatory.
It was simply a "heads up" from someone who has had the embarrassment of using language in the wrong place.
I once explained to a very stuffy elderly French lady that I really didn`t mind which wine we had with our meal - only I actually said that
I "didn`t give a f***!" Foolishly I hadn`t learnt that teenagers` language does not work everywhere.
As to how and why -well, things move on; ask Lenny Henry about the Black and White Minstrels.
( guapo was referring to another post talking about UK army slang - I can`t find it so pls ignore. Out of interest, is it possible to remove a post altogether - I thought we could only edit them)

dunlustin said:
Hi MGN
Given your obvious passion for all things accordion and their origins, I did not for one moment believe you meant the reference to be derogatory.
It was simply a "heads up" from someone who has had the embarrassment of using language in the wrong place.
I once explained to a very stuffy elderly French lady that I really didn`t mind which wine we had with our meal - only I actually said that
I "didn`t give a f***!" Foolishly I hadn`t learnt that  teenagers` language does not work everywhere.
As to how and why -well,  things move on; ask Lenny Henry about the Black and White Minstrels.
( guapo was referring to another post talking about UK army slang - I can`t find it so pls ignore. Out of interest, is it possible to remove a post altogether - I thought we could only edit them)

Richard,

It seems we can now remove posts altogether since the last revamp. I re-read the last sentence in my last post and realise it could have been construed as sarcasm. I was highlighting my tendency to use 1000 words when 10 would do, and I often end up wondering why I keep going off topic. I am often a victim of my own failure to be concise. You may remember I've had spats with members of other nationalities when translation was an issue. I'm pretty thick skinned as I say. In the navy we had a derogatory name for our Maltese colleagues which I won't put on here, but the same word was used to describe many residents of the eastern Med. Same term was used by US types, I think. Clue is that it sounds like "stick".

I know what you mean about getting too cocky in other languages. We had visited Spain a few times and I was getting adventurous with the language. I had noticed that whenever I asked for a beer, I would be asked what measure I would like. Most of the time I would have a "grande", but on one occasion my wife had to pay a visit to the toilet and the nearest place was a rather posh hotel, and I thought it prudent to order two beers whilst I sat at a table and waited for her. I had decided two small beers (canas) would suffice, as I had the car.  

I was surrounded by fairly well to do Spaniards including an elderly couple at the next table, who were devouring very expensive looking tapas. I had gone into a sort of daydream, when I became aware of a waiter standing at the table. As far as I can remember my order went something like this "Dos cervezas, conos, s'il vous plait". As soon as I uttered the words I realised there had been a disaster, and the old guy next to me stared at me incredulously. I had realised I had placed the order in a mixture of Spanish and French, but the guy's wife stopped eating and stared at me in disgust. The waiter arrived back at the table with the two beers, and they were the canas I thought I had ordered. 

When my wife came back from the toilet I told her to down the beer in one and we were out of there. The stares followed me all the way out, and I looked up the little dictionary I had in the car. It convinced me that I had actually asked for "two ar**holes", in error, and we both laughed our socks off. However, when we returned to the UK I mentioned the incident to one of my colleagues, who was from Gibraltar. He went into hysteria, as apparently in Andalucia that phrase I uttered can also be construed as "two c***s". 

I certainly felt like one when he told me what I had said, and it dawned on me why those stares were so vicious. 

When I told others what had happened one of my adult granddaughters chimed in that was typical of the embarrassment I could cause. Thinking I was about to create a cheap funny I blurted out "Well, no c**t told me what it meant." Talk about frying pans and fires! To say it fell flat was the understatement of the year. Women just don't have a sense of humour at all.

MGN
Well now, after 50+ years you have topped my embarrassing tale and did even worse in your retelling of it!
Thank you so much, you don`t know how grateful I am!

dunlustin said:
MGN
Well now, after 50+ years you have topped my embarrassing tale and did even worse in your retelling of it!
Thank you so much, you don`t know how grateful I am!

Richard,

No problem. If I'm honest the hackles did go up a bit when I saw your posts, but as I say I deserve everything I get. I edited the first version of one of my replies, as I realised your intentions were all good. 

I once went to Belgium on holiday with my first wife, and we stayed in Brugge (Bruges). I had picked up a bit of Dutch from my time working with the Dutch Marines, and I have a cousin who was born in Nijmegen. My father also had a good command of the language, as he lived there for a time, as did my sister. 

My first wife broadcast the fact to the hotel owner that I could speak Dutch, so he put me through a test to see if I could work out the Flemish version of the language. He said "Oe es't?" (How's it going?) and I never got it, thinking he was speaking French. When I asked him why he was speaking French instead of Flemish he got a bit brassed off. He wrote down a series of Flemish/Dutch words and asked me to say them. His reply was "Who taught you to speak Dutch, a f*****g Chinaman?"

I have family in Norway and whenever I go there I am always asked why I have a Danish accent. In Sweden I get the same question. We UK types (even those of us with Scottish accents) cannot quite get that strong "r" that the Norwegians and Swedes have. Yet when I go to Denmark they ask me why I speak Danish with a German accent. An old dear in Silkeborg told me I had watched too many WW2 movies, and reiterated that Danes and Germans were two separate races. However the Germans in Flensburg/Flensborg still allow German kids to be taught in Danish schools in the area. Even as far south as Husum you still get Germans with Danish surnames.

My German ancestry is actually way back from Calvinists who fled to Scotland from Mecklenburg to avoid religious persecution. They subsequently had to flee from Scotland to Ireland for precisely the same reason. I thought of changing my surname of Walker to Runner but it never went down too well.

In Birmingham they just call me a bad speaking haggis b*****d, but it's all in good humour (honest!) My next door neighbour is as Brummie as they come but his surname is Macdonald! His great grandfather was from Skye. My other neighbour is half Welsh like a lot of Brummies. His other neighbour is Irish, like a lot of Brummies etc.

Goodnight from Brum. There are a handful of English people here, but they're a bit thin on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.