• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Filuzzi Musica

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have been interested in learning about this style for a few months. I have been listening to Massimo Budriesi, Ruggero Passarini, Leonildo Marcheselli, Carlo Venturi, etc.
This is the song that got me interested in the style: Another great example: There is a great website with a lot of transcriptions: https://www.novalis.it/
Ive downloaded all the music and have been playing through some of my favorite tunes.
I have a few questions/topics for discussion that may help me understand the style a little bit better. Musically, Im wondering about the shunt bellows style and how the different song sections, specifically the trio section, differ in terms of the dancers/choreography.
I am also interested in the instruments used. I love the look of the Stocco and Biagi organetto bolognese, but figure that might not be economical for me since I do like to play other styles. Still, I love the minimal approach to the instruments used and have always leaned towards smaller accordions. However, I was wondering if a 3 reed accordion would be necessary if I really wanted to get immersed in this style. Are the organettos wet tuned MM with no register switches?
Finally, I am interested in the cultural and social aspect of filuzzi dance. Does this style have the powerful presence of, for example, tango in Argentina or Son/Salsa in Cuba/Puerto Rico... and how widespread  is this music outside Bologna.

I understand that this is a lot of questions, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Nick,

I like this style too, and John (maugein96) often has a lot of info to help you out.

I think one thing is to settle on the definition of "organetto" in general and "organetto bolognese" more specifically. In general "organetto" refers a diatonic "button box" with different notes on the push and pull. However, in some youtube videos, the term refers to a small "cba" or chromatic button accordion, with the same notes on the push and pull, as in the first video you posted, and probably the second. Also, I believe most of the scores on the novalis site are for chromatic accordions. In this sense, you are right in that the chromatic will give you more versatility.

That said, yes, imho, most of the bolognese Italian diatonic organetti are wet turned, without registers. However, it is difficult to generalize in this area. As far as culturally, I think this (cultural, dance) style is pretty limited to the Emilia-Romagna region, although the music (ie Venturi) is shared in a broader dance style (liscio, musica da ballo) more widely distributed in northern Italy, like in Le Marche, Piemonte and Lombardia.

I would recommend you pick up a small chromatic accordion and a 4 bass organetto. John will chime in with further explanation and few jokes.

Good luck!

Tom pid=71652 dateline=1588174717 said:
Hi Nick,

I like this style too, and John (maugein96) often has a lot of info to help you out.  

I think one thing is to settle on the definition of organetto in general and organetto bolognese more specifically.   In general organetto refers a diatonic button box with different notes on the push and pull.  However, in some youtube videos, the term refers to a small cba or chromatic button accordion, with different notes on the push and pull, as in the first video you posted, and probably the second.  Also, I believe most of the scores on the novalis site are for chromatic accordions.  In this sense, you are right in that the chromatic will give you more versatility.

That said, yes, imho, most of the bolognese Italian diatonic organetti are wet turned, without registers.  However, it is difficult to generalize in this area.  As far as culturally, I think this (cultural, dance) style is pretty limited to the Emilia-Romagna region, although the music (ie Venturi) is shared in a broader dance style (liscio, musica da ballo) more widely distributed in northern Italy,  like in Le Marche, Piemonte and Lombardia.  

I would recommend you pick up a small chromatic accordion and a 4 bass organetto.  John will chime in with further explanation and  few jokes.

Good luck!

Hi Nick,

At a guess you already know more about Filuzzi than I do. Here is the only link (in Italian) I could find during a quick search of Google, although I believe there are several more.

http://www.lisciobolognese.it/filuzzifigure.html

I had actually never heard of Filuzzi until I joined the forum a few years ago. I have been a French musette fan almost all my life although I never began to play accordion until I was about 32.

I had an old friend when I lived in Scotland who introduced me to recordings by Carlo Venturi, Gigi Stok, and other Italian players, who played instruments that strongly resembled French accordions, and Carlo often played a 4 row Stocco. It became obvious that those players werent really typical of the mainstream Italian accordion, and I read up a bit on what they were all about. 

The type of French style CBA accordions they played were largely confined to the north of Italy, particularly Emilia Romagna. The other thing that struck me was the similarity of some of the music to the French musette repertoire. 

Your post covers quite a few different aspects of Filuzzi music, which, if I was totally honest, is not really all that well known outside of its home area in the rest of Italy. Theres a good chance that a native of Rome wouldnt know what Filuzzi is. Therefore, the notion of it being internationally famous would not seem to apply. The little accordions senza bassi will be very hard to come by these days, with Massimo Budriesi, and Andrea Scala (who plays a little PA without basses), probably representing The last of the Mohicans in the genre. 

There is an element of crossover between Filuzzi and the Liscio music of Bologna, and Ruggero Passarini often made recordings using a full sized CBA. 

The three voice musette used in Filuzzi and in the north of Italy is a bit strong, almost like the old French musette tuning, but not quite as harsh. That is normally because when the accordion is used to provide dance music, it needs a bit of presence to cut through the din. 

Do you need a three voice accordion to play Filuzzi? I would wait and see if you stick with it, or whether another style becomes your main interest. As far as I know there are no treble couplers on the little three voice senza bassi, or the organetto Bolognese, with the whole repertoire being played with all three voices blazing. 

The reason I advocate caution is that at various times in my life I have been fascinated with quite a few different music styles, but never had an instrument capable of creating the necessary authenticity of tone. I am prone to get stuck in to new ideas until the dawn realises that I have been playing French musette for well over 30 years, and many of the techniques that took me a very long term to acquire arent worth just throwing away in the name of what may ultimately become just a passing interest. Many pro players can turn their hand to a variety of styles, but they learn how to use the instrument(s) they have to play them all to best effect. 

At one time French musette and Irish accordion were played almost exclusively on three voice musette tuned accordions. These days they mainly use swing tuning in both countries. 

The bellows shunt has been discussed on here on several occasions, and nobody has come up with an answer. It is a fact that many players prefer to play on the draw, and will return the bellows to the closed position at every opportunity. Various theories abound how they achieve that with no bass buttons depressed, and no obvious use of the air button. Somebody who would be able to tell you how its done is Barbara Lucchi, who was a pupil of Carlo Venturi, himself a dyed in the wool shunter. My Italian isnt up to interrogating the Italian web, but Barbara is the Queen of Shunt on her Piermaria CBA that shes had for a very long time. She never uses the basses at all and there is always the chance that her bass reeds have been removed. There is always at least one bass button missing from her dim 7 row

If you have a full sized CBA just use it and dont worry about what instrument is the right one for the music.

Check this one out, grandfather and grandson in a duet on full sized CBAs. At a guess, that little Stocco of Massimos has become his trademark, but he also plays a big CBA to great effect. 

Great info, thanks Tom! It's nice to talk to others who appreciate this music too. I currently play a 2 reed MM CBA with 60 bass buttons. I was considering an LMM CBA for playing some of the "Bolognese style" tangos, but I wasn't sure if they did the pure octave 'bandoneon tone' for that, or if they just performed with the 3 reed musette.

I also have a 2 bass Dino Baffetti organetto, but I haven't spent enough time with it.

Thanks maugein96! That's a lot to think over. You hit a lot of great points. I have been guilty of becoming fascinated with other styles only to move on to others a year or two later. It is difficult to dedicate to one style that it is not known much outside of the region. I would imagine that it is hard to play the music with 100% authenticity, being born and raised 5,000 miles away and with almost zero access to information in english. I don't think I will abandon my bass buttons for now, even though it is tempting. But I can't promise that if I see one of the little Stocco accordions for sale on eBay I won't hit "buy it now."

I will look into Barbara Lucchi to see how she handles the bellows. Do you think this style of playing aids the feel of the music, kind of how the push/pull of the bellows in Irish music give is that feel (Is that called 'lilt')? Or is it more that it was just passed down as the way the instrument is played?
I have heard (though not confirmed) that there was a small Ballo Liscio scene in California at one point. That seems reasonable.

Your post also gave me insight into the reason I am also drawn to French musette music. Now I am interested in discovering the similarities between the two styles. Do you think that filuzzi was influenced by french musette?

Hey Nick,

You may have seen this thread where e discussed this in some length:

https://www.accordionists.info/showthread.php?tid=4475

I dont really know the registers (reeds) used by the filuzzi,maybe John does.

S far as California liscio, I refer you to this website of Bruce Zweig who play(s ed ?) with well known mandolinist/fiddler Gus Gareluck, who has a couple of cool cds out that include some California liscio.

This link of Bruces includes 15 or so sheets of music you may be interested in. Also originally for mandolin, I have found a number to be quite fine for accordion also.

http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matteo/

Good luck!

NickC said:

Thanks maugein96! That's a lot to think over. You hit a lot of great points. I have been guilty of becoming fascinated with other styles only to move on to others a year or two later. It is difficult to dedicate to one style that it is not known much outside of the region. I would imagine that it is hard to play the music with 100% authenticity, being born and raised 5,000 miles away and with almost zero access to information in english. I don't think I will abandon my bass buttons for now, even though it is tempting. But I can't promise that if I see one of the little Stocco accordions for sale on eBay I won't hit "buy it now."

I will look into Barbara Lucchi to see how she handles the bellows. Do you think this style of playing aids the feel of the music, kind of how the push/pull of the bellows in Irish music give is that feel (Is that called 'lilt')? Or is it more that it was just passed down as the way the instrument is played?
I have heard (though not confirmed) that there was a small Ballo Liscio scene in California at one point. That seems reasonable.

Your post also gave me insight into the reason I am also drawn to French musette music. Now I am interested in discovering the similarities between the two styles. Do you think that filuzzi was influenced by french musette?

Nick,

Despite having been born in Scotland, most of my recent ancestors have been Irish. "Lilt" in the UK and Ireland tends to refer to a speaker with having a sort of singing tone in their voice. It is more used to describe dialects than in the musical sense. 

I never really took to either Irish or Scottish music on the accordion. The two styles are broadly similar, but my particular generation (I was born in 1953), had image issues with the instrument and the music. Old fashioned music for old fashioned people. I know it's different these days but we had Elvis and The Beatles dictating the pace then. 

In contrast to that French musette incorporated a load of other influences from South America, Italy, and jazz from the US. 

When the time came for me to buy an accordion, French CBA was my choice, on account of the potential for variety. I was repeatedly asked why I had no interest in the Scottish accordion, but fortunately French accordions were being imported into Scotland at the time, and I've bought a few over the years.

Fact:- If you want to play a "foreign" style you need to totally immerse yourself in the music, and try and forget any musical influences you experienced in your own country. If you've never spent any real time in the country whose music you have chosen, the chances of you making the grade in the genre concerned are very slim. Last time I was in France was 1995, so that hardly puts me in a good place to have had much experience of actually seeing and hearing French players and learning from them. Watching You Tube helps a fair bit, but it's not the same as "hands on" experience. 

Last time I was in Italy was 1983, so I'm even more at a disadvantage there. 

OK, here's the connection between Italian and French musette. There was a considerable amount of immigration to France from Italy in the late 19th, and early 20th centuries. The Italians brought their accordions with them and continued to play their Italian music in their new country. The melting pot was Paris, where thousands of immigrants from The Auvergne, a poor part of central France, intermingled with the other new arrivals, the "ritales" or Italians. The Auvergnats were drawn to the warm sounding Italian accordions, and the two cultures decided to combine their efforts. Many of the Italian accordions of the day were organettos, or diatonic, and eventually a decision was made as to what type of accordion would best fit the bill for the new style of music that was to become musette.

An accordion known as "systeme mixte" evolved, using three rows of diatonic treble buttons, and a 5 row version of the Stradella bass. The three rows allowed chromatic runs on the treble, and the Stradella bass was the same as the PAs that had come from Italy, minus the dim 7 row. 

Emile Vacher and others went on to create the French musette genre, but it soon became obvious that the diatonic treble had its limitations. 

Domenico Cavagnolo, an accordion maker from Vercelli in Italy, had moved to Lyon in France in 1904, and began to manufacture the same type of chromatic button accordions that he had made in his native Italy. His accordions gained in popularity, and eventually began to oust the systeme mixte accordions used by Vacher et al. In 1919, Maugein Freres opened up an accordion factory in Tulle, France, and copied the Italian construction methods of Cavagnolo. The "French" accordion was well and truly established by that enterprise joining the efforts of Cavagnolo.  

In Paris particularly, a large number of the exponents of the CBA accordion were Italians, and that continued right through the term of the popularity of the musette culture. It took some years before native French players took to the accordion, but take to it they did, with gusto.

If you make a study of the earlier musette days you'll find that a large number of the compositions had Italian references in their titles, and the composers themselves often had Italian surnames. 

The overwhelming number of Italian accordionists play PA, but a significant number of immigrants to France were from areas of northern Italy, where C system CBA was the most common type. As a consequence of that the typical "French" accordion with stepped mushroom type bass buttons, and rear mounted treble couplers, was actually the same type of accordion as those found in Emilia Romagna and elsewhere. 

A significant number of the earlier recording artistes on French musette were Italian born, so it stands to reason there were many similarities with Italian music. 

I've done this before, but here are some of the really big name French players:- Peguri bros, Marcel Azzola, Bruno Lorenzoni, Fredo Gardoni, Tony Murena, Louis Ferrari, Pierre Parachini, Achille Pellegrini, Joss Baselli, Richard Galliano, Emile Carrara, and his brother Freddy, Roberto Milesi, Medard Ferrero, and a host of others with Italian roots. The Italian connection should be immediately apparent.

Italian waltz, polka, and mazurka all feature strongly in the French musette repertoire (same as Filuzzi).

What the French did was to discard three voice musette, and introduce elements from other cultures, whereas Italian liscio tends to stick with the music styles found in Italy. The French "chanson " with a lot of American influence obviously gave it a big advantage over Italian liscio. 

As a consequence of that French musette has had a whole lot more exposure to the public at large, hence the plethora of French chanson and accordion scores.

Filuzzi was a later creation than French musette, and several of the titles allude to "Parigi", or Paris, particularly the waltzes. 

The answer to that question is that both styles were probably influenced by the other. Italian musette tuning in general tends not be so strong in genres other than Filuzzi, where it sort of intensifies. Somebody in Italy will undoubtedly have the answers to your observations, and I only wish that I was fluent enough in either French or Italian to plug a lot of gaps. 

It is tempting to get too bogged down with history and all the technicalities, as I am prone to do. 

If you're enjoying it, try and give it more effort, and you'll get the benefit of that. 

If you're not enjoying it, just move on. 

Barbara Lucchi and her father Dino Lucchi, are worth looking up.

For something different try Gigi Stok, Barimar, and Daniele Donadelli. They were/are all from the Parma area and play(ed) Modenese bass (original version of Belgian bass). Daniele is probably the last pro player in Italy still to play modenese bass.

Interesting insights, John! 

Thanks! :)

" ... Watching You Tube helps a fair bit, but it's not the same as "hands on" experience""."

So true!

One time, when I was faced with a gall bladder operation , I thought I'll look it up on YouTube.

Sure enough, a suave, obviously much experienced consultant surgeon performed a textbook demonstration (on camera, inside and outside of the patient ) of how it should be done. The whole thing took about ten minutes!

Great, only "day surgery", I thought. What's the problem? :)

Then it was my turn: took 2+ hours on the table and about three more in recovery, plus three more days in the ward. When I went home, I was still bleeding through the dressing and my shirt ( which I'd already padded with a towel borrowed from the ward)! :p

All good now! :)

rital: `cette injure caractérise la xénophobie anti-italienne….`(see: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rital )
I`m sure it was unintended.
However it`s easy to get caught out when citing from another language. I`m guessing n*****r or c**n would not be acceptable in a quote.

Edit added 2nd May. What was meant to be a helpful aside from me has from this point, hijacked the OP`s thread. Please accept my apologies.

Dingo40 said:
Interesting insights, John! 

Thanks! :)

" ... Watching You Tube helps a fair bit, but it's not the same as "hands on" experience""."

So true!

One time, when I was faced with a gall bladder operation , I thought I'll look it up on YouTube.

Sure enough, a suave, obviously much experienced consultant surgeon performed a textbook demonstration (on camera, inside and outside of the patient ) of how it should be done. The whole thing took about ten minutes!

Great, only "day surgery", I thought. What's the problem? :)

Then it was my turn: took 2+ hours on the table and about three more in recovery, plus three more days in the ward. When I went home, I was still bleeding through the dressing and my shirt ( which I'd already padded with a towel borrowed from the ward)! :p

All good now! :)

Dingo,

Glad to hear it. Hope I never need the same operation, unless I can find Mr Suave, the surgeon!

For years my only experience of watching French players was on recordings of French TV programmes. You've probably never heard of the English player, Albert Delroy, who made several albums of French musette on a Cavagnolo PA. Albert was friendly with an old buddy of mine and was able to work out how to produce VHS tapes of French TV programmes.

Many of the tapes were a bit rough with audio out of synch etc, but I spent hours watching them, and managed to work out several techniques the players used. If the audio was that bad it was often difficult to discern the key by ear, but when you saw the buttons being used you could usually work it out. 

In truth I would have needed to be brought up around musette players to have had any chance of making the grade. Many players in the UK are able to turn their hand to just about anything, but their version of French musette often tends to be influenced by the other styles with which they are acquainted. 

Does that really matter? To most people it probably doesn't, but as ever I just went into it too deeply and became obsessed with everything sounding and looking right. Probably explains why the boxes often spend months in their cases! 

What I had undertaken was the equivalent of learning a foreign language without ever hearing any native speakers, until I was several years into it. The result was predictable, but I refused to listen to people who knew better. To my astonishment I subsequently learned that I was not alone. The world is full of people who play music from other cultures. There is an Irish guy in Crete called Ross Daly, who plays the Cretan lyra better than most of the locals. Difference is he actually moved there and honed his skills amongst native players. 

I suppose I could have considered being a bus driver in Paris, but the local RATP transport union put a bar on foreign recruitment for a while, and the beer was too expensive!

Thanks "To my astonishment I subsequently learned that I was not alone. The world is full of people who play music from other cultures. "

Not only music, John,

There's a British guy at the British Museum who's the world expert on cuineform writing.

I'm just now watching a farmer ( on TV) who's still a farmer, but in his spare time owns and runs ( even drives) the "Union of South Africa " steam engine and directs Scotland's national heritage railway! :)

It's just amazing what people find to do with themselves! :)

Regarding gall bladder operation, the dread of a potentially  unending series of gallstone attacks is a wonderful motivator, after the first one  :p

Great info, John. Thanks for taking the time to post that. It makes a lot of sense.
In regards to immersion; 10 years ago, I decided to learn Spanish. I did Rosetta Stone and Fluenz and the "Pobre Anna" book series. I was doing pretty well. Then I joined a salsa group (as a bass player) and was around 12 guys who spoke Spanish and very little English. Not only was I on my way to becoming fluent, but I was also picking up on the slang and the way people actually talk. Of course, since the group ended, my Spanish has downgraded to where I can still ask where the bathroom is, but can't have a meaningful conversation about family.

So, yes, being immersed in the style would be important. I guess the issue that I am facing is that all of the accordion music I like comes from outside of the USA, where I live. (Which isn't hard to imagine.) In college, I played jazz (also as a bassist) and the scene was lively. It was possible to be immersed in jazz music. I was going to school as a music major, so my roomates and all my friends were jazz musicians. There were 3 or 4 jazz clubs within walking distance. NYC was only 2 hours away.

At this point, I am fine with not playing this style with 100% authenticity, because I enjoy doing it AND if I'm lucky, one day people will dance to it...even without knowing the full history of it themselves. Another approach would be to use this music as an influence to create another blending of styles which led to it's creation in the first place.

"If you're enjoying it, try and give it more effort, and you'll get the benefit of that.

If you're not enjoying it, just move on. "

This has been my mantra for how I am approaching the accordion.

Dingo40 said:
Thanks "To my astonishment I subsequently learned that I was not alone. The world is full of people who play music from other cultures. "

Not only music, John,

There's a British guy at the British Museum who's the world expert on cuineform writing.

I'm just now watching a farmer ( on TV) who's still a farmer, but in his spare time owns and runs ( even drives) the "Union of South Africa " steam engine and directs Scotland's national heritage railway! :)

It's just amazing what people find to do with themselves! :)

Regarding gall bladder operation, the dread of a potentially  unending series of gallstone attacks is a wonderful motivator, after the first one  :p

Dingo,

Had to look up cuineform writing. My Irish grandfather was in Mesopotamia when he was captured by the Turks during WW1 at the first battle of Gaza. His handwriting was pretty awful, like mine. Maybe he became an expert in cuineform writing while he was there, but I have no excuse! 

There are two Dutch guys who regularly go to the southern US playing one of the Mexican styles on diatonics. They tended to receive a very chilly reception until the locals realised they weren't on a mickey take. 

A lot of Balkan players manage styles from the various countries that make up that area, and there is quite a lot of variation in the styles. There are even Greco-Turkish fusion bands these days, but the music of the two countries is pretty similar at times.

You then have other countries like Brazil, where there are many different local styles in the same nation. 

I wanted to be able to play them all, but I suppose half of them will just have to do!

NickC said:
 I guess the issue that I am facing is that all of the accordion music I like comes from outside of the USA, where I live. (Which isn't hard to imagine.)  In college, I played jazz (also as a bassist) and the scene was lively. It was possible to be immersed in jazz music. I was going to school as a music major, so my roomates and all my friends were jazz musicians. There were 3 or 4 jazz clubs within walking distance. NYC was only 2 hours away.
If you have been able to cope with the subtleties of jazz, then Filuzzi will be a breeze for you. It's not so much the music but the peculiar techniques applicable to each genre that require work. 
I once took part in an impromptu session in the 70s in an Istanbul nightclub, playing electric guitar. Most of the Turkish bands wanted to play what they called "soul" music then, but could often be persuaded to play some belly dance type music, which I could manage on guitar, as I had learned the basics of Greek bouzouki some years previously. I was in the UK navy at the time, and there would usually be a handful of us there. On one occasion  the bandleader told me they were going to play a Turkish tune in Karsilama 9/8 time, and asked me if I knew it. After a shaky 10 seconds or so I had worked it out, and everything was going great until a break in my guitar cable meant I could play in any time signature I liked.

The band featured an electric saz, which provided the sole melody for the rest of the number. When I got back to my friends they asked me how I had managed to get the guitar to sound like a saz. So much for audience appreciation, as the Turkish people in the audience also applauded my efforts. They must have thought I had played "Silent Night". Everybody was happy except the guitarist who reckoned I had stood on his cable and broken it. He was probably right. If you can't play it then fake it! 
I also like to play music styles that are foreign to the UK. None of the local styles here have inspired me.The first 600,000 times you hear a Beatles album is fine, but it gets a bit samey after that. There is a local Scottish accordion style, but it requires disciplines that I don't have. Everything is played "straight" at strict dance tempo, and any time I've ever tried it people kept telling me I was too fast, such and such a note wasn't right etc. Shame I never lived near any jazz clubs, There must have been at least three of those in the whole of Scotland when I lived there.

Here in the US, if you play accordion it helps with audience connection if you can play at least one "chestnut" from the prevailing ethnic surroundings (I have never played for a group of actual natives, myself, and don't know any Ho Chunk music, note to self). When in Rhode Island I have to play a tarantella, and in Wisconsin or Minnesota, a polka or schottische, preferably Beer Barrel, or In Heaven There is No Beer. I don't aspire to any sort of greatness where purity is required, so I am perfectly content to butcher Italian, American, Brazilian or Irish music as my heart desires.

Great story, John. Sometimes the best way to learn is to jump in and tread water! I had to google electric saz. I thought it was a typo (sax) until you typed it twice.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there may be several 'degrees' of authenticity. As it relates to the jazz world, there are (were) places like Smalls in NYC where if you sat in, you had better be swinging. They took it very seriously. Then, there are (were) places like Serengeti in Merchantville, NJ where the house band loved when younger musicians came in and they would mentor them...even if they did make a mistake, or lose the form, or sit on the fourth scale degree over a V7 chord . Both were "jazz" and one could argue that without the nurturing of places like Serengeti, you couldn't have the musicianship in places like Smalls.  

As much as I would have loved to have grown up in an area that had a regional music that would become a way of life, the fact is, there isn't much music that I want to play that wouldn't make me an 'outsider.' And, honestly, that may be a good thing. Because now I can explore as many styles as I want. I can spend as much time with them as I want. I can move on if I want, or I can continue with it while researching other music.

Tom, I checked out Bruce's site. I noticed that they play at Caffe Trieste in San Francisco. That was the place I heard about. I will look into them. Thanks for the link.

Tom said:
Here in the US, if you play accordion it helps with audience connection if you can play at least one "chestnut" from the prevailing ethnic surroundings (I have never played for a group of actual natives, myself, and don't know any Ho Chunk music, note to self).  When in Rhode Island I have to play a tarantella, and in Wisconsin or Minnesota, a polka or schottische, preferably Beer Barrel, or In Heaven There is No Beer.  I don't aspire to any sort of greatness where purity is required, so I am perfectly content to butcher Italian, American, Brazilian or Irish music as my heart desires.

Before I  got interested in Filuzzi, I was focusing on Neapolitan song. I have family in Naples (Caserta) and have enjoyed sharing my playing with them. You're right. When I  play O surdato 'nnammurato or Comme facette mammeta, people notice. Then when I play 'O Sole Mio or Santa Lucia, EVERYONE responds here in NJ. Of course, I am not playing professionally yet. Just at parties and for friends. But, you will often here Renato Carosone, Claudio Villa or Roberto Murolo in restaurants here.

It certainly leans towards southern Italian music around here. I was considering doing a 'tour of Italy' type thing with one set of Neapolitan song on the piano accordion, then a set of Filuzzi on CBA, then a set of wherever my ears lead me to next. Of course, this is all when I learn enough material to start doing gigs.

Thanks, Nick, interestingly enough my grandparents lived in the province of Caserta as well, though I haven't been there since I started playing accordion. I (used) to do 3 or 4 volunteer gigs a month, and have played in a couple restaurants but don't really try, just take what comes up. I recommend it for really forcing you to realize what you are doing. There are a few pros on here too. I find it doesn't really matter what I play, the key to success is engagement over virtuosity in my little world. Good luck!

dunlustin pid=71663 dateline=1588240931 said:
rital: `cette injure caractérise la xénophobie anti-italienne….`(see: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rital )
However it`s easy to get caught out when citing from another language. I`m guessing n*****r  or c**n would not be acceptable in a quote.

Hi,

Just noticed this one. Ive seen the term written down several times in what I thought was all innocence in the French music media. 

As you say, if youre not really familiar with a language, then such subtleties often catch you out. 

I wasnt aware of any xenophobic atmosphere against Italians in France, but I suppose it probably exists. Mass immigration to any country often provokes such issues. So called world wars were another catalyst. 

Thanks for pointing it out to me, and I wont use the term again. 

Im about three quarters Irish, maybe a quarter Scottish, with a sprinkling of German, and living in England. 

I might have written a book on how to cope with triple xenophobia syndrome, but Ive lived in England before, and just learned to cope with it. To be fair, its only a broad Scottish accent that gives me away, as I thought it wiser to take down the Irish, Scottish, and German flags a while ago. Glaziers are getting too dear these days, and I suppose nobody forced me to come and live here. 

There are so many different cultures in the West Midlands that I cannot remember the precise xenophobic terms for them all, which is a worry. Might need to brush up on that one. ;)

maugein96 pid=71696 dateline=1588318447 said:
dunlustin pid=71663 dateline=1588240931 said:
However it`s easy to get caught out when citing from another language. I`m guessing n*****r  or c**n would not be acceptable in a quote.

Hi,

Just noticed this one. Ive seen the term written down several times in what I thought was all innocence in the French music media. 

As you say, if youre not really familiar with a language, then such subtleties often catch you out. 

I wasnt aware of any xenophobic atmosphere against Italians in France, but I suppose it probably exists. Mass immigration to any country often provokes such issues. So called world wars were another catalyst. 

Thanks for pointing it out to me, and I wont use the term again. 

Im about three quarters Irish, maybe a quarter Scottish, with a sprinkling of German, and living in England. 

I might have written a book on how to cope with triple xenophobia syndrome, but Ive lived in England before, and just learned to cope with it. To be fair, its only a broad Scottish accent that gives me away, as I thought it wiser to take down the Irish, Scottish, and German flags a while ago. Glaziers are getting too dear these days, and I suppose nobody forced me to come and live here. 

There are so many different cultures in the West Midlands that I cannot remember the precise xenophobic terms for them all, which is a worry. Might need to brush up on that one.

EDIT:- I was wondering about the actual source of your xenophobic information, although I now know it came from Wiki. Reference to the article suggests that in recent times the term is possibly not so offensive as it once was. Possibly depends on the context of use?

Here is a clip of a well known fairly modern French musette number, shockingly titled La Ritale. The composers were Jean Corti and Jo Privat, both of whom had Italian ancestry. I knew there was a valse musette by that title, but thought Id better find it first. 

And another untroubled Italian/Belgian playing the same tune without batting an eyelid

Time for the weekly lockdown shop. I sense a search for a bottle of Paddy whiskey, unless some sensitive Irishman has banned it from the shelves (or drank the lot).

"I was wondering about the actual source of your xenophobic information, although I now know it came from Wiki. Reference to the article suggests that in recent times the term is possibly not so offensive as it once was. Possibly depends on the context of use?"

John,
I looked it up on the web.

Several online dictionaries unfortunately render it as equivalent to the old British army slang equivalent to "worthy oriental person" :-/

"So called "world wars" were another catalyst."

It does seem as if the borders between France and it's neighbours (including Italy) have changed almost as often as ladies' hem lengths, over the decades and centuries.
Of course, Mussolini's opportunistic invasion of South Eastern France following on the heels of Hitlers' in the North East would not have helped! :p

There's another meaning, simply a person of an Italian ethnic extraction ( like the girl from Ipanema, no offence meant) :shy:

That could work for the title on the clips.

Then again, it's not an offence to call someone by what would otherwise be an offensive sobriquet, if you are one yourself: note the numbers of Australians calling each other b******! :p
It's legendary, but no one takes any notice! :)

Thanks for the clips: charming and evocative! :)

Tom said:
Thanks, Nick, interestingly enough my grandparents lived in the province of Caserta as well

Small world. An unrelated story, but....Me and my wife visited Naples, Positano and Rome last year. My grandmother, whose parents were from Caserta, has a cousin there. We arranged to meet up one night. Unfortunately, we were unable to meet in Naples, but we were both available one night while we were in Rome. We set a time and went to our hotel room to wait for them. We figured that it would be my grandmother's cousin and her husband for a small dinner. We got a call from the front desk, and came down. They weren't in the lobby, so we went outside to look for them. It turned out that there were 15 people waiting for us! It took 20 minutes to say hello and kiss everyone. One spoke English and my Italian is limited, but we were able to communicate enough to get to know each other pretty well. We went to dinner and walked to get gelato. By the end of the night, my wife, who speaks no Italian, and the children, who speak no English, were laughing and playing and posing for photos while hugging each other. It turned out to be the highlight of the trip. We have kept in touch since then through Facebook, and I have shared videos of my accordion playing. We were discussing going back, but this time, spend some time at their house to be more immersed, and then go north.

re: rital.
Don`t feel the need to justify the info - up to you really - just seeking to avoid unnecessary offence or embarrassment.
Don`t think it has anything to do with sensitive Irish people.
By the way, wop ( definitely offensive) is not linked to UK Forces but goes back to US Italian migration and a distortion of the word "guapo"

Status
Not open for further replies.