• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Filuzzi Bolognese

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maugein96

No, you cant eat it!

This is Ruggero Passarini, playing another valzer, but in the Filuzzi dancing style, popularised in Bologna. You should be able to hear the stronger musette used in that style.

Not sure if hes still on the go, although his grandson, Massimo Budriesi, plays the same style.

The accordion is devoid of bass buttons as the original music was played on organetto instruments which didnt have them either.

Ruggero played full sized CBAs with bass buttons when he was younger, but in later years played more on those little hybrid accordion/organetto. PA versions are also available but they are rare.

The clip is part of a concert dedicated to the memory of the late Carlo Venturi, who was also from the Bologna area, and was a virtuoso CBA player who died very young.

Ha....reminded me I should pop waltz des nigilos...hedgehog waltz...an old gypsy standard often played at funerals back into my repertoire...youll find old versions by Gus Viseur, Barret, etc

Terry,

Learned that tune before I knew what the translation was, but rarely play it these days. In my early playing days I wasn't aware of any manouche influence at all. It was only after things like video and the internet became available that I was able to piece it all together.

losthobos post_id=59012 time=1525843286 user_id=729 said:
Ha....reminded me I should pop waltz des nigilos...hedgehog waltz...an old gypsy standard often played at funerals back into my repertoire...youll find old versions by Gus Viseur, Barret, etc
Nice. I wanted to comment that the duo is not balanced well due to the overpowering accordion but that was one case of laptop speakers being quite unsuitable for listening: rechecking with headphones helped a whole lot. Had problems identifying the kind of saxophone, mostly because it isnt a saxophone at all (bass clarinet).

Beats the pants off a dedicated bass accordion (no idea about volume as its microphoned here, but the articulation and phrasing is very nice), let alone the bass reeds of a standard accordion.

Another version by Daniel Colin on a similar box to mine. Shame he cant play it like me (or have I got it round the wrong way?)

Play it like you stole it John <EMOJI seq="1f609">?</EMOJI>

losthobos post_id=59102 time=1526052193 user_id=729 said:
Play it like you stole it John <EMOJI seq=1f609>?</EMOJI>

Thats just it. I have no idea how my box got to the UK from France. I e-mailed Maugein with the serial number a few years ago looking for details. There was no reply or cops at the door, so Im none the wiser.

I had a little paper receipt for it from the shop in Yorkshire where I bought it secondhand. The shop has since closed down, and I inadvertently threw the receipt away.

Its needing a bit of work done on the bassoon reed valves, but very few UK repairers other than Emilio Allodi will work on French boxes, and his workshop is 360 miles away from here. Last time I made use of a UK courier to have a repair done the accordion came back with damage to the bass side. The repairer never knew that French style boxes really need the bass buttons immobilised before transit. I believe they use cardboard or plastic strips under the button heads, but have never actually seen them.

Considering none of my boxes see much action these days then Ill maybe just run with it as it is, as my thousands of fans have got used to it by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.