• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Father's Royal Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

krejcipetr

Reaction score
Hi,

can anybody identify my father's accordion from 1950's?
Of course it is Royal Standard, but more?

It is fully working, 99.9% working, 100% state. No scraches, really as a new one.

Thank you for your reponse.

Peter

IMG_20210403_190228.jpg

IMG_20210403_185540.jpg
IMG_20210403_185600.jpg

Reactions: Tom
I know nothing about your father’s accordion. But I will tell you what I think:
I imagine it was an instrument that he dreamed of owning – and finally it happened.

Perhaps you want to know about the importance of your father’s accordion. But I suspect you know already .

I know nothing about your father but I believe he was probably a very special man.
Maybe this is too sentimental but I guess your father’s accordion was very special to him and that is what matters the most.

Reactions: Tom
This one was made in the GDR in the 50's. It was marketed with the names Royal Standard, World Standard, & Weltmeister.
This one looks very low mileage and in attractive shape. It was made for moderate not hard usage as because of its make
of plastic shift machines, keys & reed blocks.

"...plastic shift machines, keys & reed blocks..."
That's a worry, as plastic has a tendency to go brittle and then break easily simply with age alone ?
Good luck, anyway!?

Thank you much for yours response.

I have hoped in model identification, more technical information, usageability. The manufactory doesn't now exists, but Is it exists some catalog from this time? Some brochure, book, chronicle in library, from i could start?

I think, that it wasn't his dream, I haven't hear him to play. He said, it was the present from his uncle at his 14's, and it was very very expensive. All I know.

As a child, I was not allowed to touch him.

Thank you very much again.

Pictures of the inside of the box will get you the technical info.

OK,
On the face of it, it's a "full" 120 bass 41 key four-voice piano accordion capable of playing all accordion scored music from waltzes to kolas and much German, French, Russian, South American, Mex Tex, Italian, even zydeco music.
So, In experienced hands, it should be a very versatile instrument.
As far as quality goes, it's probably a "consumer" rather than a "professional " model, but adequate for most "amateur" purposes. Something like the Czech Republic's "Delicia" of its day ??
It was made in East Germany (some 40 years before the wall came down) at that time having a reputation in keeping with most East German manufactures.
A big sales point was relative cheapness.
What more can we tell you??
As JimD says, for more technical information, send pictures of the inside !?

Last edited:
My first decent SLR camera was a Praktica. I almost bought a Soviet Zenith – built like a rock and good optics but old-fashioned.
You could try asking Weltmeister – they are often mentioned in the same breath as Royal Standard.
Your accordion does not look cheap and nasty. GDR instruments in the West were famous for being very bad – not necessarily the case in Eastern Europe at the time.

I have always been sceptical of the notion that nothing of quality was made in post-war Germany. The towns in question had instrument-making skills going back to the 18th century. Materials certainly became hard to get but I don’t believe the love of music vanished. Countries continued to have the rich, the privileged, the music-mad - and loving uncles. Transfer my comments on your father to your uncle – what a very generous present to receive at fourteen.

Thank you much for yours response.

I have hoped in model identification, more technical information, usageability. The manufactory doesn't now exists, but Is it exists some catalog from this time? Some brochure, book, chronicle in library, from i could start?

I think, that it wasn't his dream, I haven't hear him to play. He said, it was the present from his uncle at his 14's, and it was very very expensive. All I know.

As a child, I was not allowed to touch him.

Thank you very much again.
Well, now you can touch him! You have a beautiful accordion at your disposal, why not learn to play it? It will bring you many hours of joy, happiness and frustration, which you can work out by talking about it here. ?

Well, now you can touch him! You have a beautiful accordion at your disposal, why not learn to play it? It will bring you many hours of joy, happiness and frustration, which you can work out by talking about it here. ?
:)
That's a very good idea. My wife should listen. Now one daughter plays the violin and the other plays the oboe at an art school.
In covid-time, they began to learn to play the guitar. She is already saying now, "You are too loud!"
The truth is, I'd like to start, but I can't move both pinkies smoothly because of playing volleyball at a high level for a long time. This has lasting consequences. At my age, I don't want to risk surgery. I already have a offers from their teachers...

But maybe I'm just looking for an excuse ...

When I'm able to play something, I'll definitely put it here.

:)
That's a very good idea. My wife should listen. Now one daughter plays the violin and the other plays the oboe at an art school.
In covid-time, they began to learn to play the guitar. She is already saying now, "You are too loud!"
The truth is, I'd like to start, but I can't move both pinkies smoothly because of playing volleyball at a high level for a long time. This has lasting consequences. At my age, I don't want to risk surgery. I already have a offers from their teachers...

But maybe I'm just looking for an excuse ...

When I'm able to play something, I'll definitely put it here.
Good to hear!!!! Playing music with your daughters will be one of the true joys of your life. You can play a lot of music on your accordion without your pinkies. In fact many accordion players never use their pinkies, don't worry! Just start with a simple song that you like.... Good luck!!!!

Yaroslav,
As far as I know, the Hohner brand originated in West Germany. Now, of course, most new Hohners are made in China (with a 90 day factory warranty).?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back