• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Excelsior Symphony vs. Symphony Grand

johnnyreb39

Reaction score
Hi - I've got an line on an Excelsior Symphony for sale. It's in great condition with little wear. When researching the models I came across the Symphony Grand as well. What's makes the Grand, well "grand" vs. the Symphony?

Thanks!

The Excelcior Symphony was a model first made in New York, NY USA and made up to and thru the transition of production to
Italy. Early NY models can be found with 1 2 or 3 bass shifts ( couplers ). The transition of total Italian production resulted in
a Symphony model with 7 bass shifts and labeled Grand. Both Symphony & Symphony Grand models are the same internally
with the 4/5 reed configuration with only the difference of bass shift machines. Used Excelsior models have become more sought
after today as their build qualty results in a low cost to refurbush.

There is a pre 1962 USA Symphony available at Petosa.
This particular accordion has 7 bass shifts.

The Excelcior Symphony was a model first made in New York, NY USA and made up to and thru the transition of production to
Italy. Early NY models can be found with 1 2 or 3 bass shifts ( couplers ). The transition of total Italian production resulted in
a Symphony model with 7 bass shifts and labeled Grand. Both Symphony & Symphony Grand models are the same internally
with the 4/5 reed configuration with only the difference of bass shift machines. Used Excelsior models have become more sought
Your response is helpful! Thank you. My accordion is labeled Excelsior Symphony. I am attached pictures on my initial post, yesterday, at 11:10 pm. Unfortunately I need to sell my instrument. Do you have any suggestions?

Not exactly. Both Symphony and Symphony Grand were made in the USA (NYC) in the 1950s. The US-made Symphony Grands were 4/6 accordions whereas the Symphony model was 4/5.

Back