• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Excelsior Symphony Grand (USA) Model Number?

Actually it's the exact same accordion, picture and all. I figured I could use the picture since I bought the accordion...

Thanks for a model number to go with the "Symphony Grand" name on the back .

Henry
I suspect the seller just accidentally omitted the word "Grand" when they listed it as a "Symphony 140" rather than a "Symphony Grand 140". I say that because Excelsior had both a Symphony model (4/5) and a Symphony Grand model (4/6), and the main difference was the number of bass shifts and number of bass reeds. The one pictured here has the greater number of bass shifts and presumably 6 sets of bass reeds, making it a "Grand". The "140" is simply the number of bass buttons, being different than the standard 120. I believe those early Symphony Grands only came in one standard model - they were just "Symphony Grand" - unless you ordered a customized version, like yours. The later Symphony Grands, with the same shift design as yours but square sound holes, had some variants, like "Citation", optional tone chamber, optional mute, etc. Based on the SN, I can tell you that your SG was made in 1950 (or a slight chance it was made in 1949 at the earliest). As you probably know, having 2 sets of bassoon reeds was generally considered a jazz feature. It's quite possible that your accordion has a wood foundation plate rather than the more common metal plate. I and probably some others in this forum would be interested to know if that is the case. I personally love the extra set of bass reeds because when I'm doing a strolling gig in a large restaurant, for example, the basses on most 4/5 accordions are a bit too weak.

they were called Symphony 140's
The "Symphony 140" came from Jim D- I have no personal knowledge of that angle. I called it a "Symphony Grand" because that's what it is stamped in the celluloid! I had thought there might be some manufacturer's model number somewhere out there but beyond the basic "Symphony Grand" series ID the 140 bass/ LLMM reeds were apparently just built to order with no further formal ID. One probably existed in the factory logs when it was assembled.

It does indeed have a wood foundation plate.

I really relish the full sound of the double bassoon set. I tend to play mostly in the lowest octave in any case (view the higher notes as spices to the sound- and spices work best for me when given something to contrast against).

Best wishes-
Henry

Last edited:
I was just looking at an Excelsior Symphony Grand in supposedly "excellent" condition (aren't they all? :D ), on Facebook marketplace, it's in Toronto Ontario. Looks like the newer model with the gold touches (like Victor Wang on YouTube plays). They're asking $4500CA but is willing to negotiate. That's roughly $3150US. Offer the guy $3000-$3200US and I bet he would jump on it. Obviously if someone is interested they would be wise to call, hear it in action and of course get pics of the reed blocks, etc. if they are interested.
If that’s the one I saw there, it needs the bellows taped. If you look reasonably closely, you will see it. I checked that puppy out before I decided on one in waaay better shape for much less money. AND with a warranty.

Yup, arriving next Wednesday, was scheduled for Monday, but I have an appointment I can’t change Monday. I had to delay it.
Comes from a reputable shop , with warranty. I have a friend who bought more than once there, he highly recommends them.

Back