• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Ergonomics

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

george g

Don't know if this is the right forum for this, but as some of you know, I bought a new Saltarelle CBA back in August and I can't keep my hands off of It. There in lies the problem. My fingers are going numb on my left hand and my right wrist is killing me as well as numb fingers and elbow on my right. I am 67 and never really played much accordion before. Is this common. I don't know of any teachers of this type of accordion in my area. I'm thinking about seeing a therapist perhaps. Anyone been there done that?
Thanks!
g

Sounds like you are pinching a nerve on the left am. A physiotherapist will be able to tell which nerve depending on which fingers are affected. It might be getting pinched in the shoulder for instance. Try altering the position of your arm/elbow, or the held height of the accordion. Others on here will be better able to recommend the best arm/elbow position for good playing and correct posture.

A silly question perhaps but if you give it a rest for a few days (you have the will power I'm sure) does the numbness go away?

If you're in the UK pay your GP a visit ... if not in the UK just pay to get qualified Medical advice ;)

Thanks for the advise. I 'm in the US and have an appointment with an orthopedic next month but will try massage therapy soon. Not playing is hard. Yes, to much playing is dumb. I can't help myself. Maybe I should join accordion players anonymous. I know of no one to critique my posture at this time.
g

Have you aadjusted the straps correctly?

The right strap should be longer than the left so that the keyboard is roughly under the chin . When this is sorted (left to right) both straps can be adjusted by an equal amount to raise or lower the accordion to a comfortable position. eg if playing seated adjust both straps by the same amount so that the body of the treble end rests on the left knee. If playing standing the same setting will probably be ok but you may wish to raise or lower it a bit to suite your anatomy.

Once these basic settings have been achieved there is usually scope for a little bit of fine tuning - one hole at a time- to achieve maximum comfort.

george

Status
Not open for further replies.