• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Dizzy Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
My newest video. Dizzy Fingers, written by Zez Confrey in 1923 as a piano solo for the movie - The Eddie Duchan Story. This has been a long favorite of accordionists. Hope you enjoy.

<YOUTUBE id=Oaszrnfe0Is url=></YOUTUBE>

Thanks Jer ! I thought the background noise in the Cotati videos was distracting so I did this today. Thanks for the kind word(s).

Ed

Eman;
I really must tell you with this posting "YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY". Now me 70+ years old, this piece reminds me of my history with the accordion.
I've played this piece in the past but only in my 20's thru 40's.
I play just about anything today including ethnic and popular music for profit but, in today's world, I rarely get any request's for the great pieces ( with talent) made famous by our late accordionist's.
When I do get a request, I go in to a rendition of "Lover" -- "lady Of Spain" or
Sharpshooter's March" .
I'll have to work on my old "Dizzy Fingers" rendition to get it back to your excellent performance and technique.

Musically yours:
Jim D.

It might be silly to say, but a minor improvement that I noticed is Ed's face is much more expressive now when he is having fun and so I think he has found that secret, and of course his playing has always been right up there. :)

Excellent playing. Very enjoyable.
Is there a piano accordion version of "Kitten on the keys"?

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I have been working, Jerry, on the face issue, as it is an issue and affects the way the piece is presented. I think, like all accordionists, I have certain body language when I play. One set of BL when I'm playing alone in a room and another completely different body language when I play in front of people. I realized that in spades, a few months ago. Don't ask why it took 6 decades to realize that. Anyway, I had my wife in the room when I made the recording and that helped immensely keep somewhat of a smile on my face. ( I also stopped looking down and everywhere other than to the front).

Jim D. - when I played "out", the issue was the same as yours playing ethnic and popular stuff, but never the great pieces. But now that I don't play in a club or in a group anymore, I have gone back to basics and really enjoy some of the traditional things, like Dizzy Fingers, Maleguena, Czardis, and any number of other tunes. And now that I am basically retired, I get to practice more than I have since I was in my teens. That alone has been gratifying.

Anyway, thanks guys for the compliments.

EMan post_id=49961 time=1504131842 user_id=1584 said:
My newest video. Dizzy Fingers, written by Zez Confrey in 1923 as a piano solo for the movie - The Eddie Duchan Story.

The music was published in 1923. The Eddie Duchan Story was released in 1956. The music preceded the movie.

I'm impressed. You have very fast fingers :tup:

The music was published in 1923. The Eddie Duchan Story was released in 1956. The music preceded the movie.

I stand corrected. Thank you

EMan post_id=50000 time=1504268006 user_id=1584 said:

I stand corrected. Thank you

Youre welcome. Keep up the good work!

That's great! I learned that on the piano, and a few other of his pieces, really good fun to play. That's a great arrangement for accordion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back