• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Cut my finger just before show - what to do?

jozz

Player
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have cut into my right index finger 4 hours before showtime.

I want to avoid playing with band-aid.

How do i close this cut fast and proper in this 4 hours? Ice? "glue"?

it's like 1mm deep and 15mm wide and runs across the surface that touches the key when you play..

I use a product called “New-Skin” which is a liquid bandage that works quite well. It comes with an applicator brush so you apply it carefully, not too thickly. You may need to apply more than one coat after the first dries.

I don’t know if this product is available outside the US but perhaps there are similar products that are.

i have taken an extra tight surgical glove and cut off a stretchy fingertip inch or so
and rolled it on over a cut

have also just used the unpadded part of a very flexible band-aid

Ouch... I have seen something like that "new-skin" liquid bandage around here, so maybe you can find it at a pharmacy. The other thing that's worth a try is what is called a "finger condom", also available from the pharmacy. It's similar than the "extra tight surgical glove" cutoff that Ventura suggested, but it's made for applications where you need to cover/protect just one finger.

couldn't find the new skin / liquid band-aid option right now...

i have made a sort of fix with a very flexible band-aid and a scissor to cut to size
it just covers the cut, leaving the tip of my finger exposed enough for playing skin-on-key
hope it stays

Super glue is another option. Hurts about the same as "new skin" and does about the same thing. (not really sure what the difference is)

Super glue is another option. Hurts about the same as "new skin" and does about the same thing. (not really sure what the difference is)
I'm sure super glue works, but it is based on acetone, and acetone is really really unhealthy when it gets into your body (through a cut).
I don't know the formula for "new skin" but I'm pretty sure it does *not* include acetone.

it's like 1mm deep and 15mm wide and runs across the surface that touches the key when you play..
Surgeons use medical cyanoacrylate which is not the same as superglue and does not sting. You might be able to get it from a pharmacy or a doctor.
quote: Cyanoacrylate can be used to close wounds when the edges are in apposition and there is no tension present. They can be used on their own or between interrupted sutures. Currently the two products available are Histacryl (?) and Dermabond (Ethicon).

Actually when I spent many months in the desert southwest, my skin would split open regularly due to the extremely dry climate there. This is not unusual. I told my dermatologist that I used New Skin. He said that was good—but then also added that super glue would work even better! I never did try it, but also I’ve never forgotten that he sort-of legitimized the use of super glue for this purpose

well the Doctors in Juarez make do y'know..
Funny you should mention that. Some of the guys I was with would venture into Juarez after work. They always cautioned each other not to forget their passports—because you don’t necessarily need one to get into Juarez but you absolutely do need one to get back!

i loved hangin' out in Juarez ages ago.. there were still RECORD stores
there and one really old one with racks of 78's

Back to the OP... How did it go? Did the narrow band-aid work or did another solution present itself?
Was it hard to play with the discomfort of the cut? I hope not...

Back to the OP... How did it go? Did the narrow band-aid work or did another solution present itself?
Was it hard to play with the discomfort of the cut? I hope not...
it was not good
the only thing it did was keeping my blood off my instrument

because I have the narrow ladysize keys, and the surface of the bandaid on the outside being rather sticky, it caught black keys in certain passages. I ended up using my middle finger sometimes. Took a good 3 or 4 songs to settle in but I guess I need to buy some of that 'glue' - have it ready in the cupboard.

it was not good
the only thing it did was keeping my blood off my instrument

because I have the narrow ladysize keys, and the surface of the bandaid on the outside being rather sticky, it caught black keys in certain passages. I ended up using my middle finger sometimes. Took a good 3 or 4 songs to settle in but I guess I need to buy some of that 'glue' - have it ready in the cupboard.
Maybe your local physician can help you get access to the medical glue. I'm pretty sure it is used in hospitals so it must be available somewhere.

Drink

Back