• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Cory Pesaturo - winner of Primus Ikaalinen 2011

I have seen many videos of Corey playing and he’s by far one of the greatest players in North America. But I find his work too flashy. I think he sees that as the best way to market himself-to try and reach a younger hipper audience. It’s not for me but he’s been out there a very long time and he’s still quite young.

I have seen many videos of Corey playing and he’s by far one of the greatest players in North America. But I find his work too flashy. I think he sees that as the best way to market himself-to try and reach a younger hipper audience. It’s not for me but he’s been out there a very long time and he’s still quite young.
Yes I agree. He's a bit of an enigma. I can't figure out what he's trying to be. I especially don't care for that very fast playing on the digital accordion with flames or whatever. If he were trying to reach a younger hipper audience I'd think he'd do something like what Peter Dranga does:
I think there is a good taste issue that Cory lacks sometimes. But when he's gets it right he can be very enjoyable to listen to.

Yes I agree. He's a bit of an enigma. I can't figure out what he's trying to be. I especially don't care for that very fast playing on the digital accordion with flames or whatever. If he were trying to reach a younger hipper audience I'd think he'd do something like what Peter Dranga does:
I think there is a good taste issue that Cory lacks sometimes. But when he's gets it right he can be very enjoyable to listen to.

That is one powerful video, with so much humanity and the fundamental machismo of the tango wrapped up in it.

I’ve met Cory in person. When Cory is around, it is ALL about Cory. No one else really matters. Fun to listen to, hard to have a simple talk to, The kiss of death for me was when someone gets introduced to my mother, they should greet her with respect, not ignore her without a second look. That kind of did it for me right there.

As a musician, there are few better… as a mature human being, from what I saw, he had some growing up to do.

Last edited:
I’ve met Cory in person. When Cory is around, it is ALL about Cory. No one else really matters. Fun to listen to, hard to have a simple talk to, The kiss of death for me was when someone gets introduced to my mother, they should greet her with respect, not ignore her without a second look. That kind of did it for me right there
Oh, that’s not good. I hope I have redeemed your opinion of all Rhode Islanders by saying Hi to your Mom on Zoom! I believe Cory simply suffers from a lack of self esteem and a certain social awkwardness. Maybe that’s the price he had to pay to become so fast and technically proficient. I am not a psychologist but karma’s a b*tch.

Oh, that’s not good. I hope I have redeemed your opinion of all Rhode Islanders by saying Hi to your Mom on Zoom! I believe Cory simply suffers from a lack of self esteem and a certain social awkwardness. Maybe that’s the price he had to pay to become so fast and technically proficient. I am not a psychologist but karma’s a b*tch.

Quite the opposite, there is no lack of self-esteem. ;)
Many people that are thrust in to positions of popularity or fame have under-developed social skills, look at many actors and sports personas to see the same thing.

Oh, my mom says hi back at you… lol

Quite the opposite, there is no lack of self-esteem. ;)
Many people that are thrust in to positions of popularity or fame have under-developed social skills, look at many actors and sports personas to see the same thing.

Oh, my mom says hi back at you… lol
Hmmmmm, I could be wrong but in my humble opinion, an outsized ego (often the result of what you mention) is a self defense mechanism that masks low self esteem.

Oh, and hi to your puppy too!

I’ve met Cory in person. When Cory is around, it is ALL about Cory. No one else really matters. Fun to listen to, hard to have a simple talk to, The kiss of death for me was when someone gets introduced to my mother, they should greet her with respect, not ignore her without a second look. That kind of did it for me right there.

As a musician, there are few better… as a mature human being, from what I saw, he had some growing up to do.
I've met him a few times and also interacted over phone a few times. I can relate to what you mentioned. I've found it hard to hold a conversation with him.

I once asked him about his experience with the Bugari Evo and asked him what whether he's tried a bellows shake on it. It was a rhetorical question and I knew that he used to own one.

I still haven't deciphered his answer. "Try a Bellows shake on a Evo? You have no idea how well connected with the accordion world I am".

That was a lot of words and I still didn't have an answer. I had asked the same question to Michael Bridge and he said he thinks it was not possible. I wanted to ask Cory because I'd there was someone who could pull it off, it would be him.

Cory picked up his EVO for free, played on it for a short time and was offering it for sale the time I was at his seminar for $5500. Can he bellows shake on a EVO? I do not know, but he definitely can bellows shake a 7X really well, I have the video to prove that.

He also majorly poo-poos on Roland for firing him and swears he hates the 8X with a passion.

I played on my friend’s EVO, it does pretty well on bellows shakes (nothing amazing), about the same as an 8X but I did not touch any settings.

Last edited:
Cory picked up his EVO for free, played on it for a short time and was offering it for sale the time I was at his seminar for $5500. Can he bellows shake on a EVO? I do not know, but he definitely can bellows shake a 7X really well, I have the video to prove that.

He also majorly poo-poos on Roland for firing him and swears he hates the 8X with a passion.
Jerry - I believe Richard Noel says he now plays a 7x (he had an 8X as he created all the UPG's for it. And Cory always plays a 7X.

What does the 7X do that an 8X can't do?

Jerry - I believe Richard Noel says he now plays a 7x (he had an 8X as he created all the UPG's for it. And Cory always plays a 7X.

What does the 7X do that an 8X can't do?
It does less. I am pretty sure it is a business decision. Cory has like 7-8 7X’s, 3-4 in repairs at any given time.
BTW Cory does not use anything custom, if he cannot get it from the factory settings, it’s not on his 7X… reason is that he can play anyone’s 7x. Not sure how realistic that would work today. I knew near nothing about programming when I spoke to him, he knew less as he never touched it.

I played on my friend’s EVO, it does pretty well on bellows shakes (nothing amazing), about the same as an 8X but I did not touch any settings.
I've been told that the 7x is the one that does bellows shake the best in digital accordions.

I once asked him about his experience with the Bugari Evo and asked him what whether he's tried a bellows shake on it. It was a rhetorical question and I knew that he used to own one.

I just stumbled on a video of Cory doing a bellows shake on an Evo! I'm just not sure if he's making a contorted face there for dramatic effect or if it's the face of an extreme bellows shake struggle :)

My favorite CP performances are those on acoustic accordions, where he's at least slightly below rodents-on-meth speed. He has every right to pursue his digital fascinations, but . . . suffice it to say, that "hip" is not the word that comes to mind watching and hearing the stuff. Regardless, one of my favorite things about him as a performer is the fun he appears to be having. I like it when laughter bubbles up out of him at the sheer joy of the romp, and he's mugging and carrying on with a co-conspirator. He's also done some slower jazz performances in the last few years that are very evocative.

Last edited:
He is the guy who "Shreds" the accordion which he really does. I thought myself now, does it matter in the end? You cant do much if you dont play guitar :rolleyes: But thats himself, his choice and his success whatever he can. In that past 10 years, although is not in his generation, another world champion category virtuoso Ionica Minune gone Europe for a couple of years and made some French style, both hand, solo accordion works. Then he got back to Romanian weddings which I think he thought where he really belong. I tracked his videos and channels because I m sort of a fan of him. I think he is number 1 (everybody agrees) on his style of Romanian music. Incredible speed and precision:

Back