• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Alex Meixner Teaches Cory Pesaturo to Polka?

Cool! Man, can he groove or what? Shout out to Wisconsin… Thanks Jerry!

I just listened to the complete 40 Min. video. It is great! I recorded it and will play it back to try to implement some of the tremendous tips here -- a few of the simpler ones, many are beyond my capability. Cory & Alex are great.

Thanks Jerry

I just listened to the complete 40 Min. video. It is great! I recorded it and will play it back to try to implement some of the tremendous tips here -- a few of the simpler ones, many are beyond my capability. Cory & Alex are great.

Thanks Jerry
Thanks Jerry for the polka item . Two great players in harmony, no rivalry just fun . I learned a few things as well

As a baby wannabe accordionist I didn’t know about Alex Meixner until informed just yesterday by my accordion mentor. He said Alex will be in Knoxville TN Oct 5,6,7 at Schultz Brewing 8th annual Oktoberfest, and I should go listen.

Sounds like he may be correct, perhaps I should go. :) The event is only 30 minutes from my place.

JKJ

Great video! But I think Cory knows how to play a polka even those with lots of notes and key changes.

I have met him. Cory won't play a polka unless it is forced on him,,,lol. Never said anything negative about his whirlwind fingers!

I'm fond of this duo as well, burning it up from another corner of the eurozone.

This is a fisarmonica classic, I know, but what is the title?

I have met him. Cory won't play a polka unless it is forced on him,,,lol. Never said anything negative about his whirlwind fingers!
Although we were both born in Providence RI, I have never met Cory. He is an awesome musician and said he wants to revolutionize the accordion. He has described his style as Jazz and Classical (although he can play anything). I view the accordion more as a cultural instrument.

He's not "revolutionizing" anything. But he is a very gifted musician and a vivid, entertaining character. In the proud tradition of characters in accordion history.

He's not "revolutionizing" anything. But he is a very gifted musician and a vivid, entertaining character. In the proud tradition of characters in accordion history.
It's not my opinion...If you Google Cory you will find the word revolutionize often,
here's an example:
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — World-class accordion player Cory Pesaturo, known for revolutionizing the accordion, stopped by News 8 for an interview this week.

It's not my opinion...If you Google Cory you will find the word revolutionize often,
here's an example:
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — World-class accordion player Cory Pesaturo, known for revolutionizing the accordion, stopped by News 8 for an interview this week.

I didn't say it was your opinion. I'm well aware it's a quote, he's said it a million times, it's part of his schtick. He's not "revolutionizing" anything. But he's a talented and exuberantly entertaining character. I like the way he laughs from sheer joy and fun sometimes while tearing it up.

While I acknowledge that he is am amazing musician, there are old promises where we see him with a covered accordion or a blanked out photo where he PROMISES to revolutionize the accordion industry with a coming product that he apparently has a big hand in. That was about 10 years ago and since then... nothing. Admittedly, not many people have ever done that in the accordion industry.

So, while he *may* one day revolutionize the industry, to date, that's not happened.

Now, I've actually been to the conservatory where Cory did his degree at in Boston (long story, but I was doing a wedding photoshoot for a couple who's groom had completed his degree there and we took lots of shots in and around the area and at the piano where he passed his finals on), I had a chance to see some of the locations and look through their literature. You will NOT find the word "accordion" in anything official and is no choice to pass any exam with one, so for him to have convinced someone to let him take his courses and exams on the accordion... not easy and deserving of kudos.

Is Cory's professional persona a character? Definitely. Is Cory a good musician? Yes. Has he revolutionized anything? Well, short of using a technology that is mostly used on cars by re-skinning his accordion... not yet. He is an excellent promoter and representative of the accordion and has accomplished a LOT for it and with it in his career.

Revolution or not, I can appreciate Cory's awesome ability. But I can't relate to the music like I can with Art Van Damme or Frankie Yankovic or even Polish style where the accordion has very little solo work (see video). So I continue to view the accordion as a cultural instrument.

What do you mean, continuing to view it as a "cultural instrument"? Did you say you relate better when the accordion has very little solo work? I don't want to misunderstand your point???

It's all subjective, but personally I hate when the accordion in an ensemble does next to nothing, especially when it's confined only or largely to harmony and backup. Like, in a jazz combo, or say, a klezmer combo, I like when it takes a turn soloing on equal footing with the other instruments that take a turn. Everybody backs up and everybody solos including accordion. I like that in a combo.

I love solo accordion as much as solo fiddle in world folk/roots music. I will say that I don't think chordal, multiple-voice music flatters free-reed instruments, from the organ to the bandoneon to the accordion. Which is odd because this seems to be viewed by piano/chromatic accordion gatekeepers as the be-all, end-all pinnacle. Same with bando in much tango arranging, come to think of it. But subjectively, I'm not sure multi-voiced chordal playing, especially both sides at once, shows off the accordion in its finest light.

Last edited:
Ha, I'm not saying CP's rhetorical exuberance is fraudulent or anything. That sort of carrying on is all about youthful froth--it's over a decade old now--and also about showmanship and savvy marketing as the face of electric accordions. They're not revolutionizing anything, but puffery is a proud tradition. Unfortunately, the "revolution" these days is the abandonment of musical instrument learning, playing, and acquisition. On a mass scale, though Asia doesn't seem to have gotten that memo so far.

Re conservatories--rigid and hidebound as most are, many these days will let you take a degree in an instrument not featured in one of their program specialties, if you make quite a showing in your auditions, applications, and recommendations. And CP is adept at numerous instruments, piano among them--that wouldn't hurt, nor did it hurt that he was a standout in the giftedness department, what Dickens waggishly called an "Infant Phenomenon."

Last edited:
What do you mean, continuing to view it as a "cultural instrument"? Did you say you relate better when the accordion has very little solo work? I don't want to misunderstand your point???

It's all subjective, but personally I hate when the accordion in an ensemble does next to nothing, especially when it's confined only or largely to harmony and backup. Like, in a jazz combo, or say, a klezmer combo, I like when it takes a turn soloing on equal footing with the other instruments that take a turn. Everybody backs up and everybody solos including accordion. I like that in a combo.

I love solo accordion as much as solo fiddle in world folk/roots music. I will say that I don't think chordal, multiple-voice music flatters free-reed instruments, from the organ to the bandoneon to the accordion. Which is odd because this seems to be viewed by piano/chromatic accordion gatekeepers as the be-all, end-all pinnacle. Same with bando in much tango arranging, come to think of it. But subjectively, I'm not sure multi-voiced chordal playing, especially both sides at once, shows off the accordion in its finest light.
No, I do not relate better when the accordion has very little solo work. I was referring to the Polish bands where the accordion does mostly bellows shaking and backup chords

As far as a "cultural instrument" maybe this will help explain :
"Unique as an instrument which plays melody, harmony and rhythm simultaneously, the accordion's extra advantage of portability served to propelled it to unparalleled popularity as various types were produced< throughout the world. France, Ireland, Russia, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Austria, the Slavic countries and others infused the instrument with features which catered to their own particular folk music, making it the voice of the people."

I would add that Frankie Yankovic was "revolutionary" gaining popularity during the 1940's and winning a Grammy for Polka music.

Art Van Damme The 40's and 50's saw the classically trained Van Damme revolutionize the way the accordion was played, removing it from its stereotyped role as a polka playmate; in 1947 Van Damme made the cover of the prestigious jazz magazine Downbeat and was voted “Top Accordionist” 10 years in a row.

Revolution or not, I can appreciate Cory's awesome ability. But I can't relate to the music like I can with Art Van Damme or Frankie Yankovic or even Polish style where the accordion has very little solo work (see video). So I continue to view the accordion as a cultural instrument.
You've nailed it George

Back