• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Chromatic Button Accordions, 5-row

Status
Not open for further replies.

fphlpsnrg

contributing member
Reaction score
My own review of current catalogs (Victoria, Pigini, Zero Sette, Jupiter, Weltmeister) shows that none of these manufacturers currently makes one. So far, only Victoria has responded to my request for the additional cost of converting one of their existing models to 5-row bassetti, which is 2500 Euros (2,786.82 USD). Jupiter claims that they do not manufacture C-System boxes. Wonder where all those Jupiter C-System boxes I see on the internet come from.

If anyone has information on other manufacturers still in business, please post that here.

Thanks

From Tony Grieco and member Stephen

http://www.fisitalia.com/acc-bayanergo.aspx

Last edited:
fphlpsnrg pid=66371 dateline=1564606869 said:
My own review of current catalogs (Victoria, Pigini, Zero Sette, Jupiter, Weltmeister) shows that none of these manufacturers currently makes one. So far, only Victoria has responded to my request for the additional cost of converting one of their existing models to 5-row bassetti, which is 2500 Euros (2,786.82 USD). Jupiter claims that they do not manufacture C-System boxes. Wonder where all those Jupiter C-System boxes I see on the internet come from.

If anyone has information on other manufacturers still in business, please post that here.

Thanks
Unless I am misunderstanding your question, Pigini has a wide range of 5-row CBAs both regular and converter.
https://www.pigini.com/en/

So far I have only seen one accordion with a five row chromatic keyboard on the lefthand side (as well as on the right of course). These are very rare. It is not surprising that nobody makes them as the demand for them must be pretty small. With a convertor accordion you in the end for the most part have a more versatile instrument.
As for Jupiter you should be aware that there are currently two accordion manufacturers that call themselves Jupiter and both claim to be the "real" successor of the Jupiter from the Soviet era. I doubt that neither of them still makes C system bayans. There is certainly a market for them. I personally prefer AKKO over Jupiter and play a C system AKKO bayan.

Jim2010 pid=66388 dateline=1564661670 said:
My own review of current catalogs ...
Unless I am misunderstanding your question, Pigini has a wide range of 5-row CBAs both regular and converter.

I had reviewed their on-line catalog, and requested further info on 5-row bassetti. They referred me to www.ernestdeffner.com, whom I have not contacted.

debra pid=66396 dateline=1564680539 said:
So far I have only seen one accordion with a five row chromatic keyboard on the lefthand side (as well as on the right of course). These are very rare. ... here is certainly a market for them. I personally prefer AKKO over Jupiter and play a C system AKKO bayan.

I looked at the AKKO website. Its in Russian, so Im lost. I think I own one of 10 5-row bassettis in the world, manufactured for Giulietti by Zero Sette. The left hand could use a tone chamber and possible doubling of the low reeds since it the tone is forward and not quite as subtle as the right hand.

fphlpsnrg pid=66403 dateline=1564692767 said:
Jim2010 pid=66388 dateline=1564661670 said:
My own review of current catalogs ...

I had reviewed their on-line catalog, and requested further info on 5-row bassetti. They referred me to www.ernestdeffner.com, whom I have not contacted.

debra pid=66396 dateline=1564680539 said:
So far I have only seen one accordion with a five row chromatic keyboard on the lefthand side (as well as on the right of course). These are very rare. ... here is certainly a market for them. I personally prefer AKKO over Jupiter and play a C system AKKO bayan.

I looked at the AKKO website. Its in Russian, so Im lost. I think I own one of 10 5-row bassettis in the world, manufactured for Giulietti by Zero Sette. The left hand could use a tone chamber and possible doubling of the low reeds since it the tone is forward and not quite as subtle as the right hand.

I see by your an Pauls responses that mistakenly thought you were talking about 5 rows on the right hand. Im sorry about that.

Didn't know they were so incredibly rare...
We had a "double performance" between the German accordion orchestra from Dinslaken and the Dutch symphonic accordion orchestra and someone from Dinslaken played an accordion with 5-row CBA left and right. It wasn't Giulietti (but I don't recall what it was) and it wasn't really "bassetti" which suggests using regular bass buttons. The left hand keyboard had buttons that were bigger than bass buttons (but not quite as large as the right hand buttons unless that was an optical illusion).
The sound of the left hand side is always different from the treble side because the bass compartment is much more closed and the sound resonates within that compartment a bit like with a cassotto. (The closed nature of the bass compartment also explains why when using mics inside an accordion 3, 4, 5 or mics are used on the treble side and only 1 or sometimes 2 on the bass side.)

From what Ive read it would appear that bassetti was unique to Giulietti accordions supplied to the US market, so it would be extremely doubtful if they were still being made, even to order.

On the topic of unusual bass systems, the Azeri garmon, as played in the clip below, has two rows of bass buttons for the left hand that are a mirror image of the treble piano keys. Only difference between the two sides is round bass buttons and small piano type treble keys.  

Azeri players dont tend to use the bass side much for melody, as youll see.  

Looks like the bride has heard better, or would rather listen to Azeri guitar.

Take a look at the Fisitalia website. 
They have a 5 rows free bass called Fisitalia Ergo bayan in the online catalogue.

Stephen said:
Take a look at the Fisitalia website. 
They have a 5 rows free bass called Fisitalia Ergo bayan in the online catalogue.

Great find! That looks more or less like the accordion I saw in Germany, but it was an old instrument and I don't know the brand. The lefthand keyboard looked like this one.

The hyperlink to the Fisitalia Bayan ERGO:

The 2017 Press release by Fisitalia about the Bayan ERGO:
http://www.accordions.com/index/squ/archives/1706/ergo_en/

This shop says it is a convertor, also with 100 standard basses... (??):
http://www.musiquepiccand.ch/fisitalia-bayan-ergo-h-ht-hb/

https://www.strumentiemusica.com/en...oung-artisan-company-fisitalia-castelfidardo/

I didnt find a YT video of the Fisitalia Bayan Ergo, I would like to compare with the Zero Sette stepped bass, demonstrated by Oivind Farmen:
Oivind Farmen steps in the bass

Addendum:
Only found a similar model like the Fisitalia Bayan Ergo, a Borsini free bass:
Louis Couperin : Passacaille à lharmonéon

G.F. Haendel: Allegro

Thanks. Earlier yesterday a friend had sent me the same link to Fisitalia. I've updated the original post.

That Fisitalia Bayan looks like an amazing instrument for classical music, although I'm not sure I completely understand the concept!

In my stash I have a new, old stock, Giulietti 5-row bassetti left hand, not a converter. I would like to adapt it to my Giulietti piano accordion that currently has the original CIII (bassetti in three extra rows) left hand. I have done this before with a four row Giulietti left hand, whose sound I do not like. It's just a small matter of woodworking :cool:

xocd

The only person with massive experience on Giullietti instruments of which I know is Tony Grieco. He is a member of this board. He might offer you an alternative different from "woodworking".

The only person with massive experience on Giullietti instruments of which I know is Tony Grieco. He is a member of this board. He might offer you an alternative different from "woodworking".
I have done it before. One builds a small wooden frame (I have used mahogany). One side of the frame fits the bellows; the other side, the left hand assembly. The frame is slim and can be painted to suit.

xocd

Hard to believe Pigini would not make this for you. The accordion production world is certainly contracting, but they still vie for the premium CA niche . . .

Thanks

From Tony Grieco and member Stephen

manfrini accordions in tillicoutry near stirling, make varios models including 5 row

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back