• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Chopin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in the true Arthur Rubenstein tradition it looks like syncopated BC_C

In other words:

Bass(1) .. Chord(2) .. xxx(3) .. Chord(4)

This the syncopated hiccup comes between (2) and (3) ... xxx means no note in my just made up notation

By the way, the transcription doesn't really stick to Chopin's original plot but it looks as if it will sound fun to play.

Ah just heard your soundcloud recording :p
I think you can leave out the second bass note as I suggest above. Also perhaps dwell a little longer on the bass note to drive it along.
Also, try on some of the bars to decorate with one of the 1st row counter bass notes. I think it will work.

Very good start by the way....

Can you give an example of where this pattern is used, so I can listen to it?

(What are you charging me for these lessons? :D)

Pippa,

When I get to my accordion I'll have a go and post an example of what I mean.
Of course I could be talking rubbish and it wont work but that's the risk of reading music from paper and imagining it in your head.

The first lesson is free. :D

Glenn said:
Pippa,

When I get to my accordion Ill have a go and post an example of what I mean.
Of course I could be talking rubbish and it wont work but thats the risk of reading music from paper and imagining it in your head.

The first lesson is free. :D

:D

Hi Pippa,

As promised I too had a go at the Chopin.
This is my interpretation for what its worth.

By the way, the embedded soundcloud thingy is a bit flaky in the forum and now I cant our link to listen to it again.
Ah... just see its visible in Explorer but when I use Chrome its not...

Thanks Glenn, that sounds great! I think your bass pattern works well, less overpowering than what I was trying out. I'll get my accordion out again when it's not 8 am on a Sunday morning (neighbours..) and have another go {}

Pippa said:
Im interested in learning about playing Chopin on the PA... although presumably too advanced for me, I just have to try!

Glenn kindly found this for me, so Im giving it a go:

http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=40488

OK bear with the horrible recording, Im just trying to figure out a bass pattern for this - something like that?

Steady away :mrgreen: :D ....I admire you lasses and lads taking on classical....I cany stumble through a classical piece on my feet, let alone the piano and I never thought of going near it with the Ackordeen............ :tup:

Try playing the bass on the top two rows only [miss out the chords] but not the lowest tone,no.4 on a 5 reed bass,or your lightest bass may suffice.

Getting on well with the etude right up until I have to jump from A-G# with the bass..!

Yep. That's the big jump.
Do you have a G# on your accordion?
Might have to try an alternative otherwise...
There's an G# above the E of course, maybe can do something with that

Yeah I'm playing my 120 bass at the moment, so I have all the buttons, I just can't reach 'em! I got it (out of sheer luck I think) just now and it sounded good :D

An alternative is the G# above the E in the bass and then D7. That is a much smaller move.
Glad you got a hit... It does sound good.
Keep practising that one jump.
You've also got to jump back down to the A.
I find going down harder than going up the button columns

I find it much harder going down too. I will try the alternative but I'm possibly too much of a perfectionist... (sucks to be a perfectionist when you're not actually capable of the thing you're aiming for!)

Do you mean the D7/A to the Gb Dim? If you do,thats an easy jump, Gb =F#, nice and close with the "_ bass”.

I was thinking more G# over D7 which fits in well with the G#m that the Chopin piece asked for.

That was very good Glenn. I might have a go at that one myself sometime. Do you know if that is the original key? It looks like that version may have been optimsed for guitar.

The other one were talking about (with the cheesy words...) is a transcription of the well-known Nocturne in Eb. I have a reasonably good version of this arranged fully for accordion which I downloaded from somewhere years ago if anyone wants a copy.

Hi Simon,

I will have to get my piano books out to check the key.
As for nocturne, if you have a better version I would indeed like to have as look.
The one I found is a bit fiddfly and I think even wrong in places.
Also I am not too hot at sounding 6th chords and the like on a Stradella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back