• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Celluloid is gone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I hit the point of no return. I think what I'm doing is applying wood veneer. I'll leave the bass cutout uncovered, after applying the veneer I'll clean up the seam and I'll cover the edges with black paint، like a sunburst finish on a guitar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220408-172218_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220408-172218_Messenger.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 42
Okay so large radius bends are no problem. I was not impressed by his method of cooling the veneer. The end of the socket imparted uneven pressure on the veneer and I think I saw stress marks on the completed job. When I veneered my transmission-line speakers I followed the hot iron with a cold iron. Have you decided to veneer or to apply foil film as per your other post?

Okay so large radius bends are no problem. I was not impressed by his method of cooling the veneer. The end of the socket imparted uneven pressure on the veneer and I think I saw stress marks on the completed job. When I veneered my transmission-line speakers I followed the hot iron with a cold iron. Have you decided to veneer or to apply foil film as per your other post?
I'm going to use veneer. If I end up getting non backed veneer I could make a diy bending iron like is used to bend acoustic guitar sides. I haven't decided what species of lumber to use but the economic choices are either maple or walnut in 4x8 sheets. If I really wanted to, I could buy veneer cut from pre-ban Brazilian rosewood for relatively cheap.

I'm getting new bellows made by Galassi next month as well. Also, depending if I can get the spindle out, I'll build a keytop slotting jig for my router to replace the faux ivory keys with yellow "tortoise" celluloid.

Attachments

• alpstar18071_20180801154242.jpg
    alpstar18071_20180801154242.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back