• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Gluing loose celluloid.

Reaction score
Use lots of clamps and when you put a piece of wood or anything against the celluloid as a gluing clamp, make sure you sand the piece smooth as any imperfections in the surface of the clamp block can imprint into the surface of the celluloid. I use DUCO cement…..model airplane glue….as this is what I have used on celluloid for the last 40+ years. Manufactures use an acetone dip to soften the celluloid sheets and acts as a glue to adhere it to the wood. DUCO contains some acetone I’m sure. Lots of clamps and moderate clamping pressure. The glue actually melts the celluloid and pulls it into the wood.

Attachments

• IMG_2290.jpeg
    IMG_2290.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 20
Use lots of clamps and when you put a piece of wood or anything against the celluloid as a gluing clamp, make sure you sand the piece smooth as any imperfections in the surface of the clamp block can imprint into the surface of the celluloid. I use DUCO cement…..model airplane glue….as this is what I have used on celluloid for the last 40+ years. Manufactures use an acetone dip to soften the celluloid sheets and acts as a glue to adhere it to the wood. DUCO contains some acetone I’m sure. Lots of clamps and moderate clamping pressure. The glue actually melts the celluloid and pulls it into the wood.
Sounds like Duco must be a good glue to use (as it contains acetone). For a small patch I have used superglue (containing acetone) and then clamping. Another thing I have used is celluloid dissolved in acetone. It becomes a paste, and that needs to be rather liquid to use as glue.

i for one still marvel at the simple effectiveness and incredible strength of
the inclined plane as it applies to the screw and used in clamps and house-jacks
and all sorts of other simple useful things

one of our companies, Leviton, was built on this simple principle,
and yet exists today.. one can still find their original products
viable, working, ready to be used again to lift and move your House
if needed.

I use clear rubbery adhesive and it acts the same way as contact cement. Sometimes I put painter's i.e. "masking" tape over it to hold it in place. Excess adhesive can be cleaned off with naphtha.
For example E6000 glue or similar.

Back