• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

CBA Treble Buttons - How to Lower the Tension?

Reaction score
Hi all,

The treble buttons on my CBA are a bit hard to press down. I have to really slam them down to make sure I'm hitting the notes in faster runs.
I'm assuming this is controlled by spring tension? Does anyone have experience with making the buttons easier to press, and is it something I could do with basic tools?

Thanks!

Hope I'm not staying out of line but you shouldn't need to slam them all the way down to open the note....
I have a cba that seems heavy to SLAM down but I can still play by gliding over....

HM,
I'd be very careful about messing with the springs: you could find them no longer able to hold the pallets closed and notes sounding without being actuated!🤔
An accordion is like an organ not like a piano so "slamming down" notes seems inappropriate.🫢
What make and age is your CBA?

Last edited:
I've had success adjusting torsion spring tension by taking apart the keyboard or bass machine and bending the springs. As Dingo says, you run the risk of losing compression if you overdo it, it will work best if the pallets already have a good, tight seal. A lot depends on the quality and condition of the accordion. If they are extension springs, as on many Scandalli and Scandalli-type keyboards, you may need to replace them with lighter gauge springs.

You need to specify your instrument. Key weight is different depending on whether you need to operate one pallet or two (cassotto or déclassement imply extra pallets) and how large the pallet(s) end up due to the number of voices. On my main instrument with déclassement, I operate two pallets for any registration involving L, one otherwise. There is a bit of difference but moderately so. Also, there tends to be an equalising mechanism making for similar button travel (and strength) on all button rows. This differs between manufacturers, too.

You really should give more details about your instruments. A photograph with the grille removed may also provide more information.

By the way: with a typical button accordion (no déclassement) the springs closing the pallets are identical with the springs providing resistance to buttons. So the question "how much reserves do I have before the spring is too weak?" can be answered practically: register Master on both sides, open the bellows (probably easiest by using the air button), then play no note (and obviously not the air button either) and apply as much pressure as if you were playing ffff (very much as loud as you can). Do the pallets give way? Then you don't really have leeway for reducing spring strength.

But not just the strength with which the pallets close determines button weight: it's also the leverage. The more your button travels for lifting the pallet by some distance, the easier it will be to press. But of course you want the pallet to travel far enough to admit air well, so there is a tradeoff between required button travel and button weight.

Back