• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bluestar - new reed technology

96Bass

Reaction score
I am on the Petosa mailing list and this morning I received their September newsletter. The following is from the newsletter:

For the last century, handmade reeds have been the apex of performance & longevity; not all being equal in quality. Until now, it was thought that there could be nothing superior to the finest handmade reed - but thanks to years of development by Lorenzo Antonelli and his team at Voci Armoniche (Italy), we have superseded what has historically been considered the 'best'. Combining decades of expertise & traditional hand-techniques with today's most sophisticated technology, Voci Armoniche Bluestarยฎ reeds are an extraordinary innovation. The construction process is revolutionary; each Swedish blue steel tongue is analyzed, precisely shaped & measured using computer software, retempered to its original form for stability, all the while requiring less pre-tuning in order to preserve the critical 'charge point'. The precision does not end there, as each reed block cavity is individually computer-measured for optimal airflow, creating maximum tolerance & the most responsive vibration possible. The result is improved responsiveness & uniformity from one voice to the next, increased tuning durability & greater volume while preserving pitch at high pressure. The best of tradition and technology - the new generation of ultimate accordion reeds is here and now available in select models.

ce9e8739-1508-1969-7925-3d08307489ff-1.jpg

If I didn't know better I would have thought that
"The precision does not end there, as each reed block cavity is individually computer-measured for optimal airflow, creating maximum tolerance & the most responsive vibration possible. The result is improved responsiveness & uniformity from one voice to the next, increased tuning durability & greater volume while preserving pitch at high pressure."
would be common practice in the accordion industry for decades already. Sadly, reed blocks are made without any regard for the dimensions of the resonance chambers that are required to get the most out of the exact frequency of each note (or reed). What I have seen for instance is that pairs of reed blocks (each for half of the notes) were all created equal even though one block was mostly for white keys and one block for black keys, and in a button accordion even another distribution of the notes over the blocks. Surely the exact same "cavity" cannot be right for for instance an A4 or an A#4. The way reed blocks are made, often mostly by hand and not very precise... no wonder some notes will sound brighter than others, louder, softer, etc... (without any difference in voicing or valves that could make a difference...
Even with this statement by Voci Armoniche I wonder how much reed block construction will really change...

inimitability โ€“ i.e., something that cannot be copied or replicated by others, as it is the result of a process, i.e. of premises, conditions, rigorous methods, refined skills and hidden measures, which are implemented on the sub-part of the part of each single reed and then brought together as a whole that can be arranged in trebles or reed harmonies layouts.

that's grand marketing talk - love it

I spoke to a Dutch box builder recently: he switched from Italian shops to Titlbach/harmonikas (CZ) reeds - because they sounded better. The Czech's say nothing special about their reeds: just that they are precision cut by machines (or 'eroded' in this case). All very transparant. Maybe not so bad the Italians are moving from the 'artisans' more into the 'science' - of course being Italians they use bigger words.

Forgive my ramblings, but it seems simply having hand made reeds is no longer a big deal. Perhaps, it's due to the fact that accordion manufactures would often fit them on request to accordions that were really not that special - at an additional cost, of course.

After some people stopped being impressed with the hand made reed on generic accordions we were treated to the possibility of bombata reeds or double riveted reeds in some higher quality instruments. However, these types of reed are not new at all, they have been around for decades. But I'm not complaining because at least modern manufactures were making a small effort to address the mediocrity that many accordionists have become accustomed to since the end of the Golden Age.

Nowadays the trend of ever fancier reed names is becoming big business. Almost any accordion manufacturer worth their salt has a special reed reserved for their top drawer instruments. For example (not exhaustive):

Brandoni - Infinity reeds
Beltuna - GHV reeds
Scandalli - Artisan reeds
Pigini - Turbo reeds
Petosa - Bluestar reeds
Siwa & Figli - Proprietary reeds.

I suppose it's the accordion equivalent of Swiss watchmakers having in-house movements rather than generic ETA movements. โŒš Well, not really because, at best, some makers are assembling the reeds (Siwa & Figli etc.). But I'll take that! The manufactures are taking back a greater control of the reed process. I think the trend is a reasonably good one and it seems to be extending to reed blocks now...

Take Brandoni - their Infinity reeds are apparently mounted on the reed blocks in a way that allows a greater percentage of the reed oscillation to occur within the reed block. Good idea! And Bluestar reeds are clearly quite similar as they need to be fitted to reed blocks designed to accommodate them correctly. Yes!

So what's next? Maybe there will be greater focus on the best wood species used to construct reed blocks. Might see a bit more mahogany, cedar and maple on the cards... Maybe waxing & pinning reeds will become more popular again! Perhaps the good makers will just take more inspiration from what Excelsior, Gola, Guerrini, Scandalli, Titano etc. were doing in the dim and distant past.

It seems to me that slowly, ever so slowly, the accordion makers are discovering new ways to market their instruments - by making them (just a little bit) more distinctive and (hopefully) just a fraction better. It's a start at least. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Last edited:
I received this email from Petosa yesterday as well. I found it intriguing. I read it and then immediately clicked on the accordions for sale with these new reeds.

As soon as I listened to the YouTube video demos of the accordions I quickly moved along. $10,000 US for a 36/96 accordion that sounded at best, mediocre.

I received this email from Petosa yesterday as well. I found it intriguing. I read it and then immediately clicked on the accordions for sale with these new reeds.

As soon as I listened to the YouTube video demos of the accordions I quickly moved along. $10,000 US for a 36/96 accordion that sounded at best, mediocre.
If you are referring to the AM950, I believe the videos on the web page are of older model AM950 that does not have Bluestar reeds.
The videos are dated January and July 2021.

In my humble opinion simply fitting fancy reeds into little accordions like the 950 will not have the desired effect. Such accordions will never develop truly great tonal quality - they are too small.

A great accordion is more than the sum of it's parts.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion simply fitting fancy reeds into little accordions like the 950 will not have the desired effect. Such accordions will never develop truly great tonal quality - they are too small.

A great accordion is more than the sum of it's parts.
Sound is one aspect of the reed. There is also durability, efficiency, longevity, responsiveness, etc.
If you have ever had the misfortune to play a Parrot accordion, you will soon be taken aback by how difficult an accordion with bad quality reeds is to play. There is a nostalgia for old-world craftsmanship and "hand-made" reeds. It would seem that with modern technology, machine made reeds can be more precise, consistent, and have greater tolerances, resulting in a better performing instrument. Perhaps you can hear little or no difference in the sound between Bluestar and hand made reeds. Maybe the big difference is in the responsiveness and ease of playing the instrument.

Last edited:
If you look at the "new inventory" page on the Petosa website you will see their better selling "consumer" models.
To see their high end models such as the Grand Concert, Cathedral Bayan, Cathedral Galla-Rini, Artista Pro, you must visit the page linked below.
These models are made in limited quantities and are typically sold out before they ever arrive at the Petosa store so you will rarely see them on their inventory list. All of these models now come standard with Bluestar reeds.

Very well reasoned thoughts @96Bass . It would be nice to expect that in the right instruments the Bluestar reeds can sound amazing. But as you say, aside from that, there may well be other associated benefits to Bluestar.

If I won the lottery... I would start with getting a AM1100 Grand Concert and a Cathedral Galla-Rini (with Bluestar reeds, naturally) . I would probably make space in the collection for a vintage Super VI and a Gola 414 too.

Last edited:
If I won the lottery I would get rid of some accordions and get a 34/96 4/5 with high cost reeds, and get some online lessons ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿช—๐Ÿ˜‰. Maybe I could pay Jerry or Ventura $500 / hour like they deserve.

It's comes to something when you have to pay people (handsomely) to take your accordions away๐Ÿคฃ
More like I wouldn't care that I didn't get back half of what I paid. Give 'em away! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

I did notice on some Delicia accordions the reed sound bandoneoneske NB. Sounded great to me.
Godgii

Back