• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Voci Armoniche BLUESTAR

96Bass

Reaction score
According to the Voci Armoniche website the BLUESTAR is their top of the line reed, rated above their handmade reeds. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with these reeds. I see that they come standard in Petosa's higher end models. Do any other manufacturers include these as standard in any of their models, or offer them as an option?

jozz

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
don't know but they sound great:

If you read their VA's website regarding these reeds, it comes to mind these are a precision milled, gun-blued version of their TAM reeds. Ultimately cheaper to make, but more expensive than their A mano reeds??

96Bass

Reaction score
That is interesting. Your sense is that they are machine made reeds?
It makes sense that with modern manufacturing techniques that it is possible to make reeds with higher tolerances and less variations.
Voci Armoniche grades them above their own hand made reeds.

jozz

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is interesting. Your sense is that they are machine made reeds?
It makes sense that with modern manufacturing techniques that it is possible to make reeds with higher tolerances and less variations.
Voci Armoniche grades them above their own hand made reeds.
i'm guessing here but:

a video shows them CNC milling the reedplates

spec sheet
states the tongues come from a sheet like TAM instead of a nastrino (a mano) indicating that step is machined (laser cut perhaps?)

then the photos show the Bluestar tongue at the base has intricate corners, as opposed to the a mano, which are square. i suppose they dont corner that by hand

fitting tongue to gap, supposedly is handy work again

Attachments

• _20211120_085816.JPG
    _20211120_085816.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 4
  • _20211120_085742.JPG
    _20211120_085742.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 4

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The main thing that distinguishes Bluestar from other reeds is that after the reed is cut to size, which also involves filing/sanding the top to approximate the desired tuning, the reeds go through another heat cycle which renders the shiny surface blue again (from the shock cooling).
I'm sure the now hardened top surface makes a difference for the sound.