• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Best (or at least good) external microphone for accordion

Pinu

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I have been always using Shure SM58 microphone as external amplification for the treble side of my accordion. Do you agree on this one? As anyone experience with something similar/better?

For the bass side, what do you normally use?

It seems that most pros these days are going to paired gooseneck mounted small condenser microphones for the treble side. Such an arrangement should produce a higher fidelity signal than the dynamic sm58. Of course they will also likely need more eq to pull out some of the frequencies that are unflattering for the accordion. The SM58 may sound nicer if the Amplifier doesn’t have much eq control.

One thing to consider with the SM58 is that it is known for being affected by proximity effect so the bass gain changes with distance from the sound source (too close its booming and further away it sounds too thin) The SM57 may be a better option if that becomes a problem.

Currently I just use the 3 treble dynamic microphones built into the grill of my SEM and I have to turn the mid and highs down and the bass up on the amp to keep it from getting shrill. Many of the tube amps from the 50s/60s that were marketed for accordions are pretty dark sounding compared to ones marketed for guitar which use capacitor values to make them brighter.

I can’t speak much about the left hand as I generally don’t amplify it. instead amplifying the sounds from my midi controlled virtual instruments for the left hand. If I was amplifying the left hand I would want it on a different channel so I could apply a unique eq to it.

I never ask for more than a simple vocal mic for live use (to augment my internal pickups and give sound guys more control)
you won't go wrong with 58's of 57's on either side

you could experiment with brighter dynamics such as the Beta58 or even the cheap but good AKG D5, but then your pickup pattern will be more narrow, so you need to know how to sit still and/or 'work' the mic

with a quiet audience goosenecks or condensors on stands (like KM184's) are my preference

I was looking into this recently. I have a sure mic also possibly the model down from 58 as it was 80 euros i think.
For the left side i observed the accordionist i mentioned in a previous post Balkovic he uses a goose strapped to the left side belt. Thoman have a budget offering for 49 euros but u might need to buy 2 accessories in my case to get to a phono for my budget amp. All in approx 100 euros for this idea. Thoman said via live chat it will work. I trust their info.
Godgi

I missed this post initially...
I have always used the Microvox system. It uses a bar with 4 mic capsules that goes on the grille, attached with velcro. What I do is put the bar on (under) a metal bracket that I attach to the accordion using the two bolts that hold the grille in place. For the bass side there is a single capsule you attach with velcro so it captures the sound coming out of one of the holes in the bass cover plate (preferably on the lower side so your hand doesn't get in the way). This setup is external but also as close to the accordion as you can go. It works very very well.
Here is an old photo of me (before a concert). You can clearly see the bracket and mic bar on the treble side. (You cannot see the mic for the bass side because it wasn't used, but if it were you would also be unable to see it.)
After the concert I remove the mic again as when I'm practicing, at home or together with the group, I don't use it.
paul (1).jpg

I recently picked up a set of Prodipe mics for accordion and I’m really happy with them. They attach to the accordion with Velcro and came with the required adapters and a little two channel mixer to combine the three mics into one normal size XLR. The single bass mic does a decent job. this video was done with the mics connected to a fishman loud box performer.

Attachments

• 73678742-B350-4121-A642-1FE1037DA464.jpeg
    73678742-B350-4121-A642-1FE1037DA464.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 18
Hello Guys,
I have been always using Shure SM58 microphone as external amplification for the treble side of my accordion. Do you agree on this one? As anyone experience with something similar/better?

For the bass side, what do you normally use?
Your SM58 should give you good results. I personally use a Beyerdynamic M69TG for playing live.
The best mic I've found for recording is the Sennheiser MD441.
I have heard the Harmonik AC501 at a live concert at it sounds incredible. I am considering having a Harmonik system installed in my own accordion.

it looks good, and has been modernized
(as compared to competition) with a tiny surface mount op-amp
and other discreet parts on the circuit board, which means they
were produced by robotics and fluxed into place in an oven
of some type

this usually gives a very reliable end product, but is also nearly impossible to
repair if a component blows. also, the battery life likely is improved

i would suggest he Bass mic be mounted with foam tape, as they
only do their vibration cushioning system on the treble

it would be nice to know the actual specs on the electret capsules they are using
to compare to the Sennheisers, which are still my first choice
(tried and true trumps neat and new in my book)

MASTER has also released an upgraded type of Accordion Mic system..
it appears to be very sophisticated and uses an inside the bellows mic
and equalization to craft a "surround" type of sound output

seems interesting..

i just went over Mic systems for a friend who visited the Studio last week,
and for me i am still sticking with a Shure Green Bullet high impedence
Dynamic Mic Element mounted in a soft rubber surround inside the Bass chamber
with high-frequency tone control trim and volume potentiometers

and on the treble side, i will stick with Sennheisers either strapped on over the grille
or mounted inside the grille

i am too old to change what has worked for me so well for decades

I’ve used an SM57 for a number of years and found it to be very good and cost effective. I always thought the SM58 was designed for vocalists hence the different grill design.

Hallo there,
After a few tricky, failed attempts at getting velro hook to both stick to a variety of grille frames for any duration and with any amount of stability, this simple microvox (3 x mic model)........is now totally re-positionable to a variety of acoustic treble grilles.
Expand the picture in order to find two fixing points either end of the mic casing, securing stainless wire hook and elastic loop arrangement. This minimizes the need for more than a amall strip of velcro "hook" material, the which can be easily repositioned etc. The fine gauge wire hooks barely leave a trace when placed and removed carefully.
This once redundant bit of kit has now been given useful employment in a variety of locations!
Of course, it cannot be over-emphasised to state that this form of custom modification is carried out solely, and entirely at the owner's own risk.

Attachments

• Treb'Mic_Set-up.JPG
    Treb'Mic_Set-up.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 17
If you start off with a quality mic, you need to do a lot less post processing, but even a $19.95 condensor mic can be made to sound good with lots of careful post processing.

I've had people tell me that these mics sound as good as $150/piece mics:

Using a good recorder and clean 48-volt phantom power, the results are actually quite impressive.
That said, I have a $140US pair of mics and $1000US pair of mics, and back to back the differences are vast.

Back