• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Best New Mid-price Piano Accordion (opinions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13PtPf_SJQo4JcEanJh08FpotzM_Vyi4w

Hi, I have been offered a brand new Crucianelli accordion (Made by Settimio Soprani) in Italy for less than 7000 euros. It has double cassotto, 40/120 keys, 4/5 voices and a mano reeds (Artigiana voci). It is a real bargain but unfortunately, I no longer play the piano accordions. 

Besides, they have two brand new (37/96 basses) non-cassotto wooden accordions for sale at less than 6000 euros. The accordions are musette tuned and have a mano reeds. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

Bugari used to have one of the best accordion tuners in Italy but he is now working for Settimio Soprani after Bugari was bought by Parrot in January. I was told that the reeds inside the above accordions have been processed in a special way by the tuner.

Attachments

• IMG_2866.JPG
    IMG_2866.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2871 (1).JPG
    IMG_2871 (1).JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 49
Bugari was purchased early this year by Parrot? Interesting. As noted above in this thread, I purchased a Bugari 26/48 in their Juniorfisa line late last year. I am very pleased with it, but it needed interior cleaning on delivery, as several keys were sticking. On perusal, my techs found the key mechanism gunked up with a petroleum substance that appeared to have been sprayed on it. Once they got to the bass side, they found that side too also needed cleaning, and there was an oil stain on the bass block from whatever it was that was sprayed. It was cosmetic/surface only, and did not damage the block, but still. The seller claimed this all happened on the factory end. My techs also said the bass mechanism was installed in kind of crude manner they found surprising given the maker mark. The reeds are good Italian "super-durall," and I'm very happy with the way the instrument responds and sounds (but for, a clackety keyboard). It's very easy to play and has a big, round, fuill voice, all actually pretty fabulous for the folk genres I play. . . . But I wonder if Bugari is outsourcing portions of the assembly or production. If not to another country, to somewhere Castelfidardo-ish that is not top flight.

OuijaBoard said:
Bugari was purchased early this year by Parrot? Interesting. As noted above in this thread, I purchased a Bugari 26/48 in their Juniorfisa line late last year. I am very pleased with it, but it needed interior cleaning on delivery, as several keys were sticking. On perusal, my techs found the key mechanism gunked up with a petroleum substance that appeared to have been sprayed on it. Once they got to the bass side, they found that side too also needed cleaning, and there was an oil stain on the bass block from whatever it was that was sprayed. It was cosmetic/surface only, and did not damage the block, but still. The seller claimed this all happened on the factory end. My techs also said the bass mechanism was installed in kind of crude manner they found surprising given the maker mark. The reeds are good Italian "super-durall," and I'm very happy with the way the instrument responds and sounds (but for, a clackety keyboard). It's very easy to play and has a big, round, fuill voice, all actually pretty fabulous for the folk genres I play. . . . But I wonder if Bugari is outsourcing portions of the assembly or production. If not to another country, to somewhere Castelfidardo-ish that is not top flight.
I heard that many of their experienced workers left as they were not happy with Bugari being sold to Parrott. I went to their factory two weeks ago and they seemed to be quite short of workers.

Well, for a while, wasn't it being put out there that the Parrott deal was only for the electronic Burgari EVO? Now it seems it encompasses the acoustic production as well. . .

That's what I thought too, but I was in Castelfidardo and a few factories told me the same story. They said it was in the newspaper.

Sad. Cross Bugari off the list?
Wish Yamaha would start making accordions. They have done everything right in improving their pianos, and when they bought Bösendorfer, they gave them a bunch of research and development money and said, ”Keep doing what you do only do it better.” I just played their newest concert grand and it’s one of the best pianos I’ve ever played.

A Bugari Championfisa 240/CH should fit the bill. It should have TAM reeds (probably Cagnoni) and if "your" dealer cannot get it to you for $7.000 I think you need to look for another dealer...

Yamaha has also made it their business to create wonderful saxophones.

Hi Eddy,

Paul mentioned Weltmeister in one of his earlier replies, and I think you could do much worse.

Weltmeister is probably the make I would choose if I was in the market for a new 120/41, though the miser in me could make a case for a Pearl River.

It really does depend on your aspirations and the venues you play. The advice you receive here will depend on the position in the spectrum of the advisor, who will doubtless rely on personal preferences to inform the advice offered.

People such as myself, who belt out tunes in folk clubs, have absolutely no issues with playing Chinese made instruments. Others, who breathe more rarefied air, may be dismissive of such instruments.

Hope some of that helps.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen,
Thanks. Being a 6 hour drive from any accordion repair place, I’m taking advice here to get the newest accordion that won’t fall apart that I can afford, and I think I’ve learned enough from all of you that I can visit a big store somewhere, ask the right questions and play a bunch. Unfortunately I think I’ve been spoiled by the Bugari I have that I didn’t pay too much for. It sounds really good and is very easy to play. Who knows? A Weltmeister might just be it.

I went from my a mano Bugari 72 to a Weltmeister and haven't looked back since.

No just kidding :D

I smile everytime I pick up that rhinestone sparkled blue thing. Then I frown a bit when I fiddle to search for the C bass button (still not used to its position). Then I smile again as i'm playing.

Hi Eddy,

A good friend of mine plays a Bugari, and it sounds superb.

It now seems that Bugari, along with many other European makers, is owned by the Chinese. I am not saying that this is a bad thing, just as long as customers are not misled.

I feel sure that you will find the right instrument in the fullness of time.

Good Luck,

Stephen.

A good friend of mine plays a Bugari, and it sounds superb said Stephen Hawkings

I play a Brandoni and it sounds just about OK. David Vernon plays the very same instrument and it sounds superb.

I remember the story about a brilliant violinist playing a tune superbly on a violin with one string!
There's a story about Art Tatum playing an old piano with numerous keys that stuck down and had to be lifted up by hand in order to be played again!
It brings me to the conclusion that even an average instrument can be made to sound really good in the right hands ( assuming the instrument is in tune! )

Well, and then there was one named Fritz Schulz-Reiche, who went by the name of Crazy Otto.

Fritz Schulz-Reichel (July 4, 1912 – February 4, 1990) was a German jazz and pop pianist.

Schulz-Reichel's father was a classical musician, and he began playing piano at the age of six. He developed an unusual technique where he played the melody of a tune with the left hand and the rhythm with the right hand.

While he trained to be a concert pianist, he chose a career in pop music, playing light jazz and pop tunes. He invented a device called the Tipsy Wire Box, which could be attached to a piano to make it sound like an out-of-tune barrelhouse upright. (Another interpretation is that "Tipsy Wire Box" was a slang expression for the piano itself, which was merely "detuned"; that is, one of the three strings that make up each note of the main section of the piano is slightly flatted, giving the piano the characteristic sound.)

In 1953 he adopted the moniker Schräger Otto (Crazy Otto), and recorded for Deutsche Grammophon. His tunes became hits in Germany, France, England, and America; his albums were released on Decca and MGM in the U.S. and Polydor which were distributed by Philips Electrical Industries Pty. Limited in Australia. In 1955, American musician Johnny Maddox played a medley of his songs, entitled "The Crazy Otto Medley"; this went to #2 on the U.S. charts, and in the U.S. both Reichel and Maddox were subsequently known as "Crazy Otto", to some confusion.

Schulz-Reichel continued to perform live and on film, and remained a popular jazz favorite in Germany for many years.

Tony,
Thanks for remembering Crazy Otto!
Wonder if he played accordion....and which mid-priced one he would buy.

Stephen Hawkins said:
Hi Eddy,

A good friend of mine plays a Bugari, and it sounds superb.

It now seems that Bugari, along with many other European makers, is owned by the Chinese.  I am not saying that this is a bad thing, just as long as customers are not misled.

I feel sure that you will find the right instrument in the fullness of time.

Good Luck,

Stephen.

This is all helpful, Stephen. Definitely taking my time, even though I know good music can be made with old beat up instruments.

Hi Eddy,

All the advice you have received seems to be genuine and very well intentioned. In the end, however, all that really matters is that you are satisfied with your purchase.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Eddy Yates said:
Tony,
Thanks for remembering Crazy Otto!
Wonder if he played accordion....and which mid-priced one he would buy.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume that it would be something "crazy"

Right. A little like this?

Attachments

• F19A7ED3-F129-47E7-A788-421FB6D0B4A3.jpeg
    F19A7ED3-F129-47E7-A788-421FB6D0B4A3.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 46
Eddy Yates said:
Right. A little like this?

I don't think so. If I'm not mistaken, his accordion was steam powered with steam powered cymbals and drums attached. You should have seen him shoveling coal into that thing while playing .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back