• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Best New Mid-price Piano Accordion (opinions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OuijaBoard said:
Wasn't/isn't the Supita high-end/high-priced rather than in the mid-priced category?   My local accordion tech reports the Welt Supita is a big favorite among the Armenian PA virtuosos in my Left Coast megalopolis' substantial Armenian community.  I was given to understand these are premium, blue-chip, very expensive rocket ships . . .

The Supitas are (were?) top-of-the-line for Weltmeister, and certainly cost what I would consider to be a good chunk of change. But Weltmeister is not a particularly high-end brand*, and you'd still come out several thousand under the really heavy-hitters.

Think of the Supitas like the most expensive model Honda with the fanciest options package. Really nice, but not quite an Acura**.

* And I say this as a happy owner of two Welties myself.
** I own an Honda too. :)

Hmmm, I see a 41/120 here priced at $7K, the top of the range given in this thread.   Double cassotto, but no mention of a mano or TAM reeds.    The inference being, with handmade reeds this would be well over the mid-priced range were discussing here for a new accordion, parameters to which the OP added handmade reeds.   

I guess its possible the dealer forgot to mention that it has handmade reeds, but I doubt it.  With this dealer, when theres no mention of handmade or hand-finished, youre normally talking durall.   

https://reverb.com/item/11621303-ne...h3RYgdTEAQYASABEgINJ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

Interested because in the conversation I recall about Supitas, Im sure the price ranges mentioned to me were over $10K, in the teens.  And my informant was in a position to know.   Mosey-ing around further, I see a blurb here dated 2012, mentioning handmade reeds and quoting a price of $17,500.00. 

http://blog.bestitalianleather.com/expensive/expensive-accordions/

These are the instruments described to me some years back. . . . They are or were viewed as kind of in the Hohner Gola category.  Perhaps the standard Supita specs have changed, or you can now get them in grade levels, who knows . . .

This little 2012 articles Weltmeister blurb does mention a wide range of price points.

Im not an expert in accordion pricing, but IMO that 17K for Supita is simply not true. Ive never ever seen any Supita that expensive.

Supita to my knowledge was just an export variant of communist S4 Weltmeister model from GDR era. Those two (S4/Supita) differ mostly by a little nicer internal elaboration of Supitas. They both are 41/120 double cassotto models and both used imported Italian A-mano reeds. At some time there was one more GDR box compeeting with S4/Supitas,.... the Royal-Standard Selecta (1 less bass register, comparable quality/features otherwise)

Later in Weltmeister portfolio S4s/Supitas were replaced by Cantus IV (some mechanical/weight improvements but usually lower quality German reeds) and finally (1987 or so) the Cantus was replaced by Cantora model mostly exported to Balkan, where it is perhaps the easiest to still find some.

There is also no such a thing as "less-air bellows" since the air consumption is the reed thing not the bellow (good reeds usually consume less air)

Yes you can find some nonsense prices for Supita on Ebay but in real a nice 100% working good shape GDR Supita is hard to be sold over 3000$ in EU and S4 can be easily found for less than 2000$. My personal explanation is that S4 is simply more common in former eastern block and generally more S4 boxes were made,... the real use value of those two does not differ that much.

There is also a 45key+freebass version of Supita called usually Supita-B and usually being even a little less expensive second-hand.

Finally after the soviet block fall the Supita line was re-established by Weltmeister by Supita-II which perahps has been ceased not long time ago since some EU e-shops still list that for about 10-12k$ but mark it unavailable. Top Welt. model of this time is Supra for about 7k€

One can find an S4 or Supita for around $3000 online, but they ship from Bulgaria, and there have been warnings on this site about probable scams.

Eddy Yates said:
One can find an S4 or Supita for around $3000 online, but they they ship from Bulgaria, and there have been warnings on this site about probable scams.

Finding a real bargain is a matter of 1) buying only through a reputable site, preferably with reliable escrow service, and 2) patience, patience and more patience for the right instrument to come along.
The better a deal you may seem to find the higher the risk that it is a scam, but it doesn't have to be.

If just a player, than I personally see zero need to gamble for fishy online bargains with unknown sellers from the other side of the planet (taking the risk of both a scam, but even more probably a transport damage). I recommend visiting your local accordion shop and usually you will find dozens of boxes (new and used) that exceed your player skills rather than your wallet possibilities.

And if one is a collector, than ofc he can spend his money for whatever makes him happy, but these guys are also supposed to know what they do.

About actual the Supita prices,... At this time I can see three instruments offered online (local bazaar sites) for less than 3k€ in my 100km radius (me located in Prague) even more can be found in Slovakia and I have even not tried Germany (the home of Supita)

As an example here You can have one from a respected Slovak seller with 1yr warranty, please take into account that that guy is a pro and he does it for money, so he probably got that thing a lot cheaper:
http://akordeonbazar.sk/akordeony/11954/akordeon-null.html?lang=en

PS: this is not me advertising that site, just supporting my former say about the actual Supita pricing (at least in middle/east Europe)

Sounds like the Supita is a good possibility if one can get to Prague and play them. Thanks.
I just checked out a few on YouTube and they sound great. I guess this begs the question: why do they cost twice as much when sold in the U.S.?

Well GDR Supitas were probably never exported to U.S. so it is kind of collectors item there. Anyway if one is budget oriented I would recommend getting S4 or even CantusIV over supita. The performance difference is not worth the price difference IMO. For the price of a nice Supita +shipping to US + the taxes one can perhaps start thinking about a comparable Italian box.

I have no connection to this, just noting an excellent-condition  Serenellini 41\120 with tone chamber, handmade reeds, AND decoration listed in the PA inventory at Smythes in Oakland CALIF at $3575.

OuijaBoard said:
I have no connection to this, just noting an excellent-condition  Serenellini 41\120 with tone chamber, handmade reeds, AND decoration listed in the PA inventory at Smythes  in Oakland CALIF at $3575.

And FWIW, I'll note that I have twice bought an accordion from Smythe's as a "pig in a poke" (completely online, having never actually played it in person) and have been happy with my purchase both times.

(Not the ideal way to buy an accordion, but when you live in an "accordion desert" you gotta do what you gotta do...)

My Tiger is from Kimric. I’m going to be in Oakland next month so hopefully can try it out.

I recently purchased a new Beltuna Euro IV musette tuned 41/120, 4/5 LMMM within the price range mentioned. I’m very pleased with the instrument. 

I originally was shopping for a Petosa, even used as I consider Petosa to be probably the best accordions built - most solid. However they are expensive (a relative term I know).  Petosa is GREAT to work with and they will work hard to find an accordion that matches your needs and budget. 

I decided to purchase the Beltuna because it met most of my specifications and was within my price range for a new accordion and came highly recommended from multiple folks. I will add I was also looking at Victoria and was told it tends to feel less substantial than the Beltuna. The Beltuna feels less substantial then a Petosa. Some of this can be attributed to materials. I know Beltuna strives to make a lighter accordion while maintaining quality. 

I would suggest you look at warranty too. Petosa offers 10 years on new. Beltuna offers 2 years. 

I would caution on a tone chamber for a musette tuned accordion. Since tone chamber are ment to mellow sound I’m not sure you would want that with a musette instrument. 

I also would highly recommend actually trying out brands if at all possible. I listened to a lot of YouTube and that worked well but I would have liked to hold the instrument pre purchase. 

Generally I find most reed combination on the bass superfluous. I tend to use two of them most of the time. I also find that the lowest reed tends to be a bit too “big” when playing musette - it may just be me or my particular accordion but I do wish manufacturers would consider the balance more. 

Be prepared for a great difference in attitude from retailers. Do your research - call the manufactures, dealers, accordion organizations etc and know exactly what you want. Don’t rush or short change yourself on budget. Get the best you can afford. Your accordion should last your lifetime.

I would add that many of us would be pressed to tell the sound difference between hand made and hand finished reeds. I would try to at least get hand finished. Correctly or not it was explained to me that as you move up the price range in reed manufacturing the metal is thicker and less probes to loose tuning. Again, not sure how factual that is but others have stated to me that I, as a long term amateur accordionist would be very happy with hand finished reeds - and so far I am.

Good words, NC. Especially these:
“Get the best you can afford. Your accordion should last your lifetime.“
I’ve heard that many times, and will probably trade up at some point. I’m getting so I can actually play the dang things.

Eddy Yates pid=68970 dateline=1578005176 said:
Good words, NC. Especially these:
“Get the best you can afford. Your accordion should last your lifetime.“
I’ve heard that many times, and will probably trade up at some point. I’m getting so I can actually play the dang things.

Thanks. I’ve been playing since I was about six. Started on an 8 bass. I saw Myron Floren and Joan Castle play on The Lawrence Welk Show and was hooked. I learned in Seattle with a teacher (Mr. Hanson) who was with the NWAA. It was a lot of fun. Played on accordion bands too out there. This last accordion had been something I wanted for a long time - a quality musette accordion. I spent a good six months researching before my purchase. Not sure where you are with learning but a GREAT set of books to learn from are published by Palmer Hughes. https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...wjd_rOGiObmAhVkT98KHdEeDXEQwg96BAgKEBw&adurl=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back