• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bellows making “creaking/crackling” noises.

Reaction score
A fellow contacted me about his Verdi III accordion. Making noise when moving the bellows in and out. I want to try to help him. It sounds like the crackling of a fireplace when you slowly open or close the bellows. Obvious thought is sticky on the insides, but then can the bellows tape on the outsides be some of the problem. Could the tape have hardened and be moving and causing the creaking sound? Can dried out hardened bellows be moistened somehow with a humidifier or spray mister that would help? Any kind of conditioner that could be put on the edge folds that would help. Thanks for the advice. He is bringing the unit over the end of the week.

Most likely the glue for the bellows tape was spread over the entire width of the tape and was of a type that hardens. As a result the glue cracks when you open the bellows. It is possible that in an earlier repair the tape was replaced and glue was used that should not be in the fold as it hardens. There is bookbinding glue that stays flexible to some extent and that is better for bellows tape.

Or it is sticking on a bellows protector, moving in jumps across it. If it has a bellows protector, just try taking it off and see where that gets you.

Hi I am new to the site and have limited experience of playing and technical issues ( I picked up the accordion in lock down) However, my first big accordion was a Hohner Verdi V CB . This had a similar problem, the bellows seemed to stick and suddenly pop loose. Quite disturbing when your accordion skills at limited.
I used to open the air release button and extend the bellows fully before playing, after a year or so of daily use the sticking and piping seems to have stopped.

Hi I am new to the site and have limited experience of playing and technical issues ( I picked up the accordion in lock down) However, my first big accordion was a Hohner Verdi V CB . This had a similar problem, the bellows seemed to stick and suddenly pop loose. Quite disturbing when your accordion skills at limited.
I used to open the air release button and extend the bellows fully before playing, after a year or so of daily use the sticking and piping seems to have stopped.
That sticking is often the result of glue that seeped out when the bellows tape was installed (or replaced). The bellows folds then stick together a bit, and opening the bellows regularly (and perhaps also leaving it open for a while) can help reduce or eliminate the problem over time.

That reminds me: @32251 any new developments?

Last edited:
way back once upon a time i had a sticky bellows problem..
after thorough brushing and cleaning, i baby powdered the heck
out of it, rubbed it in, vacuumed the excess off..

the sticky was gone and that box smelled baby fresh for a year

way back once upon a time i had a sticky bellows problem..
after thorough brushing and cleaning, i baby powdered the heck
out of it, rubbed it in, vacuumed the excess off..

the sticky was gone and that box smelled baby fresh for a year
I didn't want to mention baby powder because you have to be very careful none of it gets sucked into the accordion while playing.
Baby powder was often used to "resolve" the sticky pallet problems on a series of accordions made with "faulty" pallets and that led to the term "Klebemorino". It only made matters worse. Luckily the outside of the bellows is further way from the reeds than the pallets are.

pallets made using faulty glue. Hence klebermorino, ...
It was at a time that Carini (who supplied pallet felt and many other parts to most accordion manufacturers) introduced new self-adhesive pallet felt. Everyone bought it because using self-adhesive pallet felt meant no more laborious task of putting a thin layer of glue on the felt (or wooden base) manually. The adhesive that was used took a few months to seep through the felt and leather and stick to the soundboard. After about three months accordion makers raised the alarm and everyone stopped using the new pallet material. But as always in the accordion world there was no factory recall for the affected accordions (estimated to be around 10.000) to get the pallets replaced. About 10.000 accordion owners were stuck with their Klebemorino, KlebeBugari or Klebe-you-name-it. The use of talcum powder (or baby powder) was suggested. (You rub some talcum powder on the leather side of the pallets.) Eventually the powder to into every part of the accordion, making the real fix (replacing the pallets) a humongous job instead of just a large job...
So there are a few things never to do with/to an accordion: 1) use any type of lubrication oil for moving parts and 2) getting any powder inside the accordion. (The natural dust that accumulates inside an accordion is bad enough already.)

Back