• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

While we're on the subject of bellows shakes... where's your "hinge"?

JeffJetton

Prolific poster
Reaction score
The bellows shake is something I have yet to fully master. I feel like the technique I see most often here is where you put the "hinge" at the bottom of the bellows and pull the top back-and-forth. But I know that some people put the "hinge" on the front and push/pull from the back of the bellows. And I vaguely recall seeing a video where someone did sort of a rollicking mix of front and back hinge.

My old copy of the Palmer-Hughes "Bellows Shake Book" presents both the bottom-hinge and front-hinge methods, with a note that "Your teacher will tell you which method he prefers." (Published in 1958, which was apparently before the discovery of female accordion teachers. :rolleyes: :D)

So, shakers of the forum, which method to you prefer?

Does it depend on style (classical vs. Chicago push, for example)?

Does it depend on the accordion?

Is it like the 3-2 vs. 4-3 debate where it really doesn't matter as long as you pick one and stick with it when you're starting out?

Well, I’m more a bottom than front hinge on the times I have done it in that really rare piece. That said, after seeing the dinged up corners of an accordion after Cory P demonstrated it, the only accordion I would ever do it on now is an accordion that I really don’t care about… the 4 corner method is BRUTAL even if it sounds good.

I can say bellow shake is more comfortable in some higher models. I generally think that move may make accordion get harmed so I dont use that. I dont need that in folk music anyways.

Back