• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Beeswax vs "accordion wax"

Javthedog

Reaction score
Just starting out learning how the box works - been gifted a scrap box...... Seems to be some discussion about best wax for reeds - beeswax alone, beeswax with resin as sold by spares/repairs establishments and even candle wax.
Would like to hear any comments/reasons why one is better than another. Thanks

reedwax is a mixture that has volatiles in it so that is is hard enough
to hold, but soft enough to last a long time before becoming brittle

candle wax would be immediately brittle by comparison, and
a good jolt would knock the reeds loose

i thing the rosin added is for extra adhesion

Here's a thread about making your own reedwax started by our member landro:

reedwax is a mixture that has volatiles in it so that is is hard enough
to hold, but soft enough to last a long time before becoming brittle

candle wax would be immediately brittle by comparison, and
a good jolt would knock the reeds loose

i thing the rosin added is for extra adhesion
My experience is the opposite of this. Plain beeswax is actually quite brittle and is not sticky, so it doesn’t hold the reeds in place. Candle wax (or paraffin wax) is less brittle (though it is still brittle) and works better at gripping the reed plates. I've seen some older German made accordions where they have used it instead of the stuff you mostly see, which is a mixture of beeswax and rosin and some oil, and which Is super sticky when it’s new. Paraffin wax isn't perfect but it does sort of work. And I know of one tech in the uk who mixes beeswax and paraffin wax to mount reeds. I tried making my own reed wax for a while…which i found tricky because the rosin and beeswax melt at different temperature. After a lot of experimentation I never got the hang of it and the wax was always more brittle than I wanted it to be. Maybe the rosin wasn't the right kind. And anyway Carini sell great blocks of the genuine stuff and it’s pretty cheap, so I just use that now. And it is, as I said, super sticky.

Repairing accordions is not something I would ever get involved in. It looks like a difficult task and requires great ingenuity and problem solving skills to get the desired results. I think it is probably a different set of skills from what an Italian accordion builder would require, where there appears to be a set of defined processes developed over several generations.

Still, I do like to ask questions...

A few years ago I was taking a short break in the north of Italy to collect a very old and special accordion that I had restored at a factory there. I asked the factory manager about the accordion and he explained that someone had previously used candle wax to hold the reeds during an effort to re-tune and re-wax the reeds etc. I won't go into detail, but he was really angry that a technician in the UK would do such a thing as to use candle wax and that it would be quite unacceptable in Italy.

I don't know but I would think using a standard Italian reed wax might be less bother than creating a bespoke 'technicians wax'. :unsure:

They might have made a mess of the reeds with the wax all over the place…so he was probably cheesed off about that and all the extra effort to clean it up. Stripping reed blocks and cleaning and reinstalling old reeds is at least double the effort of installing new clean reeds. But I agree. If you can get the Italian made wax, then do so. Charlie Marshall in Scotland supplies it. And some accordion makers don’t use any wax. They screw or tack the plates to the blocks.

Thanks for your comments - appreciate the time you take to reply. As for "repairs" - I'm a ing way away from that and will probably never get there. However, I think it's always good to know the beast! The box I've been given is two voice in the treble with no couplers and so far I've removed the keys (yes, I did number them: then saw there were numbers on the other side!) and have started to make a test bellows with another scrapper I was gifted.......So, no doubt I'll be back looking for more answers soon!

Reed wax varies from country to country and I suspect it takes into account things like weather. In Russia for example the instruments are played outdoors in the winter well below freezing.
I make my own mix and it is basically a 60/40 wax rosin mix with some other things added based on information passed on to me by some of the old Italian folks left over from Colombo and Guerrini when they were still in San Francisco.
You can get Violin rosin if you are not making large batches. Otherwise it is sold in 55lb bags though you may be able to get it elsewhere in smaller amounts.

Repairing accordions is not something I would ever get involved in. It looks like a difficult task and requires great ingenuity and problem solving skills to get the desired results. I think it is probably a different set of skills from what an Italian accordion builder would require, where there appears to be a set of defined processes developed over several generations.
...​
You hit the nail on the head here! These "problem solving skills" are clearly underemphasized during the ACA courses I took. I think it's a result of the courses being taught by staff from an accordion manufacturer, not by people with 50 years of experience repairing accordions. I find that repairs often require detective skills, trying to find the cause of spurious sounds (without being able to look inside at what's happening). Especially in the tuning course module little attention is given to adjusting valves to obtain a stable note frequency that isn't (or is hardly) influenced by the volume the note is played at. Just the "tuning is always done playing mezzoforte" isn't good enough for very critical ears for instance.

Paul, I have this deeply held conviction that people who have "very critical ears" are among those who have been cursed by Mother Nature.
Your turning of it to advantage is admirable.

Back