• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Beautiful Rendition of Prelude and Fugue in A Minor

This reminds me of days gone by... You know, for many years a staple element of the concert accordionists/bayanists repertoire has been the performance of at least one organ work. The first time I encountered 'the organ piece' was at a concert of Oleg Sharov over 25 years ago on an awesome Jupiter bayan. I was young at the time and blown-away by the sound. The go-to tune was the Toccata & Fugue in D minor. I have since heard that piece played by many button and piano accordionists. It is quite refreshing to hear a different piece! Thank you @AccordionJustice for sharing. To my ears this work sounds very polished. This young musician is really excellent in my opinion.

Interestingly though, I have discovered that not all organists enjoy their great works being performed on anything other than the King of Instruments. I am not an organist and so do not know inside-out the full reasoning, but I believe there are at least two elements. Firstly, the accordionist is attempting to perform a piece with two hands that often requires all four limbs of the organist. Perhaps, this means there is a reduction in the score in places or requires incredible musical athleticism to perform on an accordion or bayan. Secondly, the scale of the typical Cathedral organ means the output will be absolutely massive and thunderous. However, a relatively small musical instrument like the accordion (even a Jupiter) will not capture a wall of sound in the same manner. So, is the accordion the correct instrument to play such music? If it's done well and respectfully, I think, why not... but hey, maybe it's not my place to answer. I guess some folk love the organ works on accordion (and view it as a form of flattery to the organ), and others might consider it to be standing on the toes of the grandest of all instruments. Regardless of perspective, it looks like the genre is here for a while to come...​

Last edited:
The music itself is so strong it can survive transcription to almost any instrument or group of instruments. This particular stunt struggles to quite pull it off especially in the prelude where the accordion can't manage the long unbroken pedal point requiring endless breath - there is a valiant attempt though as he pumps back and too like mad! Gets me thinking as to why the Russians in particular went in this direction though.

- perhaps it demonstrates a traditional conservatoire badge of honour in virtuosity in Russia.
- perhaps it's the only way for many people to experience these organ works live as the organ isn't a common instrument in Russia.
- perhaps other Bach isn't as well known by accordion teachers there. The tiny amount of the repertoire you hear over and over again does makes me wonder!

There are vast amounts of Bach on two staves that are equally wonderful yet it is rare to hear them from the Russians. It seems a country a bit turned in on itself culturally, especially at the moment with nationalism as the prevailing mantra. Fortunately it's a different matter in the rest of Europe for Bach and the accordion.

Thanks for explaining @saunderspb. You have a unique insight into the world of the organ, as a virtuoso who plays all of the great works, and as a mighty fine button accordionist too!

I just did a quick search on YouTube for 'accordion two-part inventions'. The first thing that appeared was a young Russian accordionist who has recorded all of these Bach inventions. I hope to spend some time listening to them. Like you say, the accordion needs to gather them all up and the raise the accordion flag on them. They are ours now. :)

Here's an example:

For me, the organ works are played to amaze the listener and stretch the performer. However, over the last 25 years of listening to classical accordion music, I have noticed myself edging slightly in a different direction, perhaps to a gentler, more expressive way. I find some of the Chinese button accordionists, in particular Hanzhi Wang and Tian Jiannan, have given me a new appreciation for the button accordion.​

I would love to hear more concert piano accordionists following these great button accordionists, with some of the lovely folklore inspired music from around the world.

Here's a short video called My Story, by Hanzhi where she plays one of her own folk tunes. I can hear a mix of Chinese and Danish folk music coming through.

And wait until you hear her play Grieg and the modern Scandinavian composers. There's magic in them notes...​

Last edited:
I completely agree with you about those Chinese performers, the videography and playing is world class.

For Bach on the accordion I'd suggest starting with what he actually was most keen to publish himself in his lifetime; presumably he thought it was Bach at his best! The Clavier-Ãœbung 1/2/4 but especially part 1 (Partitas). The notes and texture come to life on the accordion in a way I've seldom heard on the piano/harpsichord. Most of us don't know this amazing music. They are also substantial pieces in a way that the 2/3 part inventions aren't, and so perfect for the concert hall or what seems to be replacing it (YouTube!) . No doubt virtuosic stunts attempting three or so of the same organ pieces will continue (toccata and fugue in Dm, prelude and fugue in Am and most ridiculous of all the Cm Passacaglia) but I see enlightened performers are now looking beyond copying the organ and bringing some of Bach's best but most neglected to new audiences on an ideal instrument.

I've tackled the first Partita myself (as a relative beginner) and whilst far from easy, it does fit under the buttons in a natural way. The final movement is also easier on buttons than piano because you don't have to leap around looking for the right notes; the bigger stretch in the RH is a great help!

I have noticed myself edging slightly in a different direction, perhaps to a gentler, more expressive way.
It doesn't get much more gentle or expressive than this from the Clavierubung 1, 1st Partita slow movement. I like this video because it's 'real' and not been edited and processed to the extent you have no idea what you are really listening to or watching!

Back