• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Beautiful

I wonder what the medium being photographed here is?
A wind column made visible with smoke? A string?

Looks to me like a Scotch Bonnet shell, or kin,

IMG_0391.jpeg

In many years vacationing at the Outer Banks (Cape Hatteras, NC, USA), I hunted for these but the shells are so thin and fragile I found lots of pieces but only one unbroken. Then one year I discovered a “reverse rip current” that was bringing a large quantity of underwater things onto the shore along a length of about 50 ft., including a live octopus, sunglasses, coral, seaweed, a wallet, and a huge number of shells. That day I picked up several dozen perfect scotch bonnets!

On seeing the x-ray above, I have a regret. Almost 1/2 century ago, industrial x-ray technician was a one part of my job. For exposure calibration and practice we x-rayed a variety of things but I never once thought of getting x-rays of shells! The one shown by losthobos certainly is beautiful.

JKJ

Back