• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

So Sad. Need help. Beautiful Bayan Broken

melasonos

Reaction score
This Bayan is very important to me. It's a 1980's Jupiter. My children were reough-housing recently and ran into my accordion. A few of the buttons were sticking when pressing them. I took off the plate over the buttons and tried fixing, in the process breaking one of the buttons. It's very detailed wood work and I do not have the tools or know how to fix. I found an awesome guy on a discord server who made me a new button. Once I received it I tried taking out these two pins that hold the buttons in place, but could not. I got one out but the other will not come out and I am chewing it up with the pliers in the process. I'm sure that one would take the whole button / buttom arm (or whatever it's called) out of the accordion first before servicing a button since there is very little room to work with. I have zero idea where to even look for resources on servicing such an instrument. I'm hoping someone could tell me how to take out the button arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to fix myself and would buy any tools necessary as I am 5 hours from the nearest accordion shop and don't have a way to make that happen at the moment. Please see pics.20221013_193515.jpg

Attachments

• 20221013_190756.jpg
    20221013_190756.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220130_210031 (2).jpg
    20220130_210031 (2).jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 24
I'm sorry but I don't have any idea either, only that it's not wise to mess with something delicate you have no idea about. It's only too easy to break something else!😐

I don't know how it goes with this very old Soviet-era bayan, but on my more recent bayan the keys are all held in place with two rods that can be pulled out, just like in modern Italian accordions. It's not an easy task though, because you first have to dismantle register mechanism (it blocks the keys from coming out). On a modern bayan there is a plate under the key tops that requires you to first unscrew all the buttons before you can remove it. But yours seems to not have that or you got it out already. The whole keyboard is a giant puzzle with aluminium parts that bend easily so you have to be slow and careful and not use any force (except to get the rod out). Go very slow, do not pull the rod out at once but move along as you take out the key levers one by one and lay them out in the correct order... It's a delicate and time consuming job, best left to a professional.
The best news is that these bayans are not very different from Italian button accordions, so you can take it to an experienced accordion repairer to fix this for you.

I don't know how it goes with this very old Soviet-era bayan, but on my more recent bayan the keys are all held in place with two rods that can be pulled out, just like in modern Italian accordions. It's not an easy task though, because you first have to dismantle register mechanism (it blocks the keys from coming out). On a modern bayan there is a plate under the key tops that requires you to first unscrew all the buttons before you can remove it. But yours seems to not have that or you got it out already. The whole keyboard is a giant puzzle with aluminium parts that bend easily so you have to be slow and careful and not use any force (except to get the rod out). Go very slow, do not pull the rod out at once but move along as you take out the key levers one by one and lay them out in the correct order... It's a delicate and time consuming job, best left to a professional.
The best news is that these bayans are not very different from Italian button accordions, so you can take it to an experienced accordion repairer to fix this for you.
Yes, this. I did take the plate under the button tops out already. It the pic, there is one rod because I already got the other one out. I was hoping someone knew how to get the whole button / arm out so I can work on it safely. Thank you!
@Jim2010 yes he is the closest. I will have to drive it there it seems. It's just going to have to be a very long time before I'm able to drive it out there and pay for repair.

So sorry about your Bayan. That's my teacher, Valdet Jakubovic, in San Jose. He is very good and quite reasonable.

Back