• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bass cassotto

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guernseyman

I often hear the term 'bass cassotto instrument' to describe accordions like the lovely old Weltmeister S4 & S5 series from the 60s & 70s but what does that term 'bass cassotto' actually mean?

Hey Guernsey,

As you may know, a "cassotto" is a tone chamber or tone box that one or more sets of reeds go in, in order to get a different sound, desired by those looking for a richer, mellower tone. I do not know if bass reeds are generally put into cassottoes (cassotti). If so, then a bass cassotto instrument would have one or more bass reed sets in a tone chamber. However, I have also seen accordions advertised as "120 bass cassotto" implying that the accordion has 120 bass keys with one or more treble reed sets in the (treble) cassotto, not, however with bass reeds in the (bass) cassotto. So, I think it is unclear, and I do not know about the models you note, we need one of our resident experts to chime in.

This question of cassotto in bass comes up from time to time - usual answer is "no point & little gain for the extra cost/weight".
But there is a late '80s Hohner Verdi V CB listed in the Hohner models, described as 'cassotto in bass'. And whilst I've seen them for sale on line, confirmed in the description, I've never seen the innerds showing this arrangement.

I don't think the weltmeister S4or S5 had bass reeds in cassotto. Both had DC chambers but I think they were both in treble reeds and I personally liked their Germanic sound. I played one only recently. I wonder if the bass reeds were set lower, so the title should read bass, cassotto instrument.

Guernseyman said:
I dont think the weltmeister S4or S5 had bass reeds in cassotto.
Nor me - I was generalising, not referring to S4 or S5, which Id missed - more water with it. :)

This is probably a red herring as I don't know these Weltmeisters, but I was wondering if this could refer to a low reed on the right hand being in the cassotto? (As the low reed on its own is often called "bass" when couplers are given names). So on my Bugari one of the middle reeds is in the cassotto and it gives some nice choices of sound. But there is an accordion in the Midlands that was played by Steve Pacitto and now by David Price, a top notch Excelsior with two low reeds and one middle on the right hand, both low reeds in cassotto. It has a wonderful rich woody sound, great for jazz. Could it be that kind of setup?

Hi Matt.
No, the Weltmeisters were 4 and five reeds respectively on right hand. I wonder whether the bass reeds started on a lower note than the usual A. They were double cassotto - low and middle reeds but the whole thing sounded deeper. It was a lovely accordion - I am tempted to buy it . It is a Vermona S4 four reed double octave with hand made reeds.

I have seen instruments that had a reed block on the left (vintage Hohner Morino) that had a chamber built into the reed block itself, this may be what is being referred to.

Why not ask the guys there to either confirm the arrangement? Or email you a pic of the innerds bass side?

Is the Vermona different to a standard Welty S4?

Hi Soulsaver
No the Vermona is a Welty S4. Nice instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back