• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bailie Ballerina - any idea on age?

Closer to home:
Mahatma Gandhi, asked what he thought of British Civilisation replied that he thought it would be an excellent idea.

dunlustin: With respect Gandhi was asked about 'Western' culture and not British culture. Also, the question should be read in the context it was asked and the full answer should be quoted.
Apart from enjoying a 'Chow Mein' from time to time I have no axe to grind about the Chinese.
My previous questions were genuine and any enlightenment would be very welcome.

boxplayer4000: "The Chinese culture is confusing to Western eyes."

Which particular one of the many?

Not having a 'go' at you, but it is a bit of a bonnetted bee of mine when diverse cultures within countries are agglomorated into one by people who have some kind of axe to grind - usually jingoists and tourism ticket sellers.

There is always an attempt by national leaders to try to present an unified nation to the outside world, but it is always a falsehood of political expediency.
Even Scotland has its variations ranging from distinctly Nordic influence to the distinctly Celtic, no?
Australia, like the Americas, has existing cultural 'norms' which are undergoing continuous evolutions on imported traditions.
And more strength to them, I reckon :)

Dunlustin: "Thank goodness he didn't have the same view of Africans when he was living there."

You really should read up on the history of Gandhi's time there.
He really did not like the prevailing sentiments amongst the ruling, Afrikaans peoples.

No politics for me thanks. The Chinese accordion, at the head of this thread, came up and their origins are interesting.
I had my haggis recently, on the birth date of Robert Burns and will very likely enjoy a Chow Mein soon as well.
Referring again to head of this thread; I may have pushed the date of the accordion too far back in mentioning the 60s. However I feel sure that the Bailes were around in the 70s. I've had a few for repairs over the years and they're not at the bottom of the pile (in my opinion).

I usually give politics a miss and we all may reach our own conclusions.
But ...come on:
In an open letter to the Natal Parliament in 1893, Gandhi wrote:
“I venture to point out that both the English and the Indians spring from a common stock, called the Indo-Aryan. … A general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa. Even the children are taught to believe in that manner, with the result that the Indian is being dragged down to the position of a raw Kaffir.”
Add:
At a speech in Mumbai in 1896, Gandhi said that the Europeans in Natal wished “to degrade us to the level of the raw kaffir whose occupation is hunting, and whose sole ambition is to collect a certain number of cattle to buy a wife with, and then, pass his life in indolence and nakedness.”
(see Washington Post 09/03.2015 - from “The South African Gandhi: Stretcher-Bearer of Empire.”

The Bailie accordion was definitely around in the 70's, by which time there were already a few in the second hand market, looking as if they possibly dated from the 1960s🤔
I looked some 4-voiced models over, with an intention to maybe buy one.
I remember being quite impressed with the attention to finish, including all interior surfaces, to a high standard of polish (some reputable Italian makes at the time being relatively rough, bare wood).
The sound was quite acceptable to my untutored ears.
In the end, I didn't buy one and later was deterred from Chinese makers by a DBA builder/accordion repairer because he claimed they were difficult to service, not sure exactly what the issue was 🤔.
(To be fair, he also advised against German made instruments, for the same reason 😄)
When I raised this point with our "number one" repairman, I was given to understand that nothing, not even a German instrument was problematic for a master technician.
However, I did notice he was selling both kinds in his shop.😄)
I see Bailies are still in the second -hand market at lowish asking prices.
I have no personal experience of any alleged issues but admit to a, probably entirely unfair, lingering distrust of both Chinese and German makes🫤.

Back