• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Thoughts on a potentially silly idea?

MasonHerb

Reaction score
I have a few parts accordions and while processing an old Ancona I realized it had all the parts, the reeds were just exceptionally rusty. So I decided that I would try a "waxless" reed block setup I have been thinking about. The blocks are a little warped, but I glued leather down and placed screws with washers to hold in the reeds after they had been cleaned.

I just figured I would see what all of you thought about the idea. I know that there are quite a few button boxes that do this, but I am unsure of any piano accordions. All the reeds sound in the block with minimal air leaks, but I have yet to tune everything relative and do a sound test.

well it is a nice experiment but why didn't you plane the reedblocks
so they were a least a relatively flat surface first ?

wax can fill gaps, but to get a gasket to seal it needs to pressure
equally along all edges, especially if you want the seal to last a few years

Luciano at Serenellini is well know for his skill with the leather mount
reed method, and you can order piano or chromatic on his top models..
perhaps you can get him to let you visit and see an accordion being fitted
this way some time..

well it is a nice experiment but why didn't you plane the reedblocks
so they were a least a relatively flat surface first ?

wax can fill gaps, but to get a gasket to seal it needs to pressure
equally along all edges, especially if you want the seal to last a few years

Luciano at Serenellini is well know for his skill with the leather mount
reed method, and you can order piano or chromatic on his top models..
perhaps you can get him to let you visit and see an accordion being fitted
this way some time..
Good point! Equal pressure on the gasket.

I love potentially silly ideas......... would it be possible to take the bass reeds from a 'scrapper' and swap them for some treble reeds......would it give you a sort of bass accordion?

I love potentially silly ideas......... would it be possible to take the bass reeds from a 'scrapper' and swap them for some treble reeds......would it give you a sort of bass accordion?
You would have to build a new reed block large enough to accommodate the bass reeds. Also, you'd probably need to remove at least one bass reed block in order to close the bellows fully.

There's the trouble with potentially silly ideas........just not fully thought through....... ah well - back to the fantasy drawing board!

You would have to build a new reed block large enough to accommodate the bass reeds. Also, you'd probably need to remove at least one bass reed block in order to close the bellows fully.
Well, you could extend the treble body by a couple of centimetres. Just build a frame matching the bellows interface on one and treble body interface on the other end.

Back