• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Back again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheshire Chris

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm not really new here, but I am returning after a long absence.
I originally bought a secondhand full-size 120-bass PA last year, but it was far too heavy for me and quickly started giving me back problems. I then part-exchanged it for a new 96-bass C-system Hohner Nova III CBA, which I struggled with for several months, but just couldn't get to grips with, so basically it's sat in a cupboard all winter.
Now it's Spring and revitalised and finally out of lockdown I've done a straight swap of the Nova III for a lovely secondhand 72-bass German-made Hohner Concerto III S PA, which is in excellent condition and sounds lovely, and seems ideally suited for the folk music which is my main interest. Hopefully I'll get further in learning to play it this time.
I have from my previous endeavours the first few books of the Palmer-Hughes accordion course. Should I stick with those or are there any other tutor books that anyone would recommend?
Thanks!
Chris

Attachments

• 85CFCA8E-CBC2-42DC-A6FF-F7C52A9EA2C0.jpeg
    85CFCA8E-CBC2-42DC-A6FF-F7C52A9EA2C0.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 13
Accordionlove.com
Oh, tutor books. S'pose the Palmer-Hughes are as good as any for traditional accordion book-learning. I think there are a lot of online resources, videos, printables, tutorials, live-streaming etc that are better though.

Last edited:
Chris,
Welcome back!??
Personally, I do find the Hohners appealing.
Good luck with your new instrument!?

Thanks, Dingo. I do think the older German-made Hohners are significantly better than the more recent Chinese ones, and from what I've read the Concerto is a solid and reliable instrument.

Chris

Welcome back Chris,

Beautiful accordion, I always liked Hohners unfortunately I never had the opportunity to get one and I envy you. Nothing nicer than a classic red accordion.

Greetings!
I am returning to the accordion as well, and I am finding Getting Into Accordion by Gary Dahl to be very helpful. It is intended for players who have some experience playing the accordion but who are picking it up after not having played it for some time. It includes some accompanying audio lessons that can be downloaded. My only negative comment about the book so far is that there are not enough lessons to cover all the material in the book. I think the audio content was put together during the era of the audio CD, so it was more time-constrained than similar material that would be produced now. The book is about 100 pages, which is fairly long for a book of its type. …In any case, in my particular situation, it is ideal.

I like the Palmer-Hughes books. They (mostly) introduce concepts one-by-one, at a nice, easy pace.

Although, after introducing both 3-2 and 4-3 bass fingering options, they essentially abandon 4-3 for the rest of the books. That's where newer methods like the aforementioned Gary Dahl book and the Galliano book have an advantage, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back