• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

I need to get my recording game up to scratch again

Interesting. What is the name of your video editor, I use Davinci Resolve Studio.
Shotcut. It is free software available for multiple operating systems. The functionality is called "align to reference track". I think I saw this functionality first with KDEnlive, another free video editor. Since I am a user of GNU/Linux, the tools I use are not mainstream and likely more cumbersome than some more commercial offers. But inexpensive to try out. Chances are that your editor/tool has something similar buried in its menus if you look thoroughly enough.

Chances are that your editor/tool has something similar buried in its menus if you look thoroughly enough.

I know how to do that, it is a manual process, though... simply right-click the audio, select the proper option and drag to match (its not automatic). I've had to do it before, but it was fixed by changing audio settings on the mixer side. I don't even think about it anymore as its not needed if the settings match on both devices.

Shotcut. It is free software available for multiple operating systems. The functionality is called "align to reference track".
Interesting. I am kind of tied now to Davinci Resolve as I shoot my videos in a proprietary BRAW format, not that I mind. Unlike other editors, you pay once and get free updates for life.

I started with Pinnacle Studio Pro, then tried Premiere Pro/After Effects and hated it. It crashed often, loosing my work and was way too expensive. Davinci also crashes (but maybe once a year or so and work is never lost), and is way better with green screen and of course color grading. Many high-end movies were edited/graded using Resolve, for example every Marvel movie of the last 4 years (and so many others) were done using Resolve... pretty amazing for a $250 app. :)

Anyways, I say well done on your video, I always enjoy Oblivion and well, you already may know that I have a soft spot for Hohner accordions. :D

I have a few other variants that use straight chord/bass combinations and partially straight rhythms, and that feels like seriously lacking something.
Here is one, the "free easy download" from Arrigo Tomasi (yes, not in best shape, but that's just a sampler). A different approach to the bass, a different soundscape. Kölz had suggestions of counterpoint, this version does not all that much.

By the way, this time Youtube caught the melody. I invested some more light. And I got the balance wrong first try again and had to redo.

Last edited:
“Deleting imperfect takes before one has better is bad karma.”

🤣🤣Yup, but you won’t remember if that “almost good to go” take was number 37 or 63! Plus the fact that it’s a pain in the neck to cut out the good part of a multi take file. I almost always start recording again every take, which is a pain, but easier to deal with when I get a “good” one. Good luck!
Same. Way faster to re-record than document the good parts of takes. Also If I don’t document the good takes while I’m recording, they disappear onto a growing pile of footage to never be seen/heard again. Again it’s quicker to record a new take than locate one you did last month.

One thing that has helped me lately is auto transcription. I don’t have to lose the flow, stop recording to type or write down timestamps/comments, etc. I just comment out loud afterwards the name and that it was a worthwhile take, then dump it into Adobe Premiere to have it generate the timestamps of interest.

Reactions: dak
this time Youtube caught the melody. I invested some more light.
Video lighting is one of those secrets of making good video. Lots of light is good... more is better.
My last lighting upgrade was adding 10 bulbs at 135 watts each and increasing lights from 5 to 13... I love the results!

1700148133074.png 1700148171118.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dak
Video lighting is one of those secrets of making good video. Lots of light is good... more is better.
My last lighting upgrade was adding 10 bulbs at 120 watts each and increasing lights from 5 to 13... I love the results!
That seems ... a lot. I've "just" added a 200W halogen floodlight here pointing at the white wall opposite to me. My side camera just has a 1/4" sensor. The front camera has a 1/2.3" sensor (I need to check its color settings: those latest shots look quite greyish). If I wanted to go ballistic on image quality, my impulse would be to get an interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C sensor. If you want to stream (or juggle things with OBS Studio), clean HDMI output is a good thing to have. That allows you to defocus the pesky background (ok, you use greenscreening a lot I think where this makes no difference) as well as to make good use of light.

But, well, at my current skill level this would be pearls before swine anyway.

One good thing about plenty of artificial lighting is its constancy: you can cut&paste parts from takes hours apart, and they match visually.

That seems ... a lot.
It's complete overkill for most, but it is just enough and perfect for my setup. :)
My streaming setup is way different. I can use up to 3 cameras for that controlled from my wireless Apple keyboard, but thats a different world from my recording/video studio downstairs. I've documented my streaming setup on 2 YouTube videos in nauseating detail... lol

Back