• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Augmented chord on a stradella bass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike K post_id=50783 time=1506466611 user_id=1773 said:
What is the best way to play an augmented chord on a stradella bass?
The short answer is: you cannot.
On stradella major = major third + minor third, minor = minor third + major third, 7 = major third + 7, missing 5 and
dim = minor third + minor third.
For C it means major = C E G, minor = C Eb G, 7 = C E Bb and dim = C Eb A (which is also A C Eb, two minor thirds).
There is no way to play a chord with C E G#.
There are non-stradella accordions that have a different arrangement giving 7 = two minor thirds as C7 = E G Bb and that also acts as Gdim, and then the 4rd row of chord buttons is available and used to so an augmented fifth: C E Gis.
On our standard Stradella instruments, alas, we cannot play a chord consisting of C E G# (without adding at least one other note like an augmented 7th). You can play C E G# B for instance by using C base note + E major. But you cannot do it without adding that B or some other note in the mix.

May be why I was having so much trouble trying to figure out how to do it. At least I know it is not me.

What song are you trying to play that has the augmented chord in it?

There are often work-arounds, but it depends on the context of the chord in the piece.

There are a number......I use a lot of piano music....nearly all piano music or chords and lead sheets. (fake book type stuff)

I have worked around most, usually just use a bass note and skip the chord.

there is a workable substitute for most chords and the use thereof, unless it is a very long one, will only be noticed by enthusiasts and pedants or should I say pedantic enthusiasts!

The principle of if it sounds right it is right can save a lot of cogitation and can be viewed as simply a different arrangement!
george ;)

Mike K post_id=50981 time=1506991310 user_id=1773 said:
There are a number......I use a lot of piano music....nearly all piano music or chords and lead sheets. (fake book type stuff)

I have worked around most, usually just use a bass note and skip the chord.

Well, if the augmentation occurs on a dominant 7th chord (or if the chord is functioning as a dominant chord and could therefore be played as a 7th even if its not written there), which it very often does, then I would just play the 7th chord button and add the #5 in my right hand, as a harmony note under the melody (assuming its not in the melody already).

If you tried this trick with the major chord button, youd of course get a clash between the perfect 5th generated by the left-hand chord button and the augmented 5th played in your right hand. As George rightly points out, it may or may not be noticeable.

But the 7th chord button on most accordions omits the 5th entirely, which avoids such a clash outright and leaves you free to alter that 5th via the right hand willy-nilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back