• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Are these keys repairable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for an older, cheap accordion to pull apart and use to learn about repairing and tuning. I have the opportunity of one which has some scratching / gouging of the keys. I found an old post on here about sanding keys down with wet & dry paper then polishing up. Do you think the keys shown in the picture would clean up doing this or are they too far gone?

Gauged keys.jpg

Hard to say, worth a try if it's a repair practice instrument anyway.

Or you could just clean them and consider them a "badge of vintage authenticity." Guitar players pay thousands of dollars to have their guitars look this beat up. ?

Good luck with the repairs, Knobby!

If you want to start with repairs using this accordion you might as well get new keytops and learn how to replace keytops.

Knobby, I completely agree with Paul. A set of acrylic (plexiglass) key tops will make your accordion look and feel like new. It is not a difficult repair

If you want to start with repairs using this accordion you might as well get new keytops and learn how to replace keytops.

Knobby, I completely agree with Paul. A set of acrylic (plexiglass) key tops will make your accordion look and feel like new. It is not a difficult repair

I'll see how I get on with the other repair tasks first and see how it turns out, as a quick look on t'internet would appear to show that a set of keytops will cost more than the accordion itself. But if I do a good job then it may be worthwhile.

they look like plastic keys to me

anyhow, my friend Walter once took a waterfall plastic set
of pitted keys and resurfaced them (several applications with sanding)
using the Liquid Fiberglass body repair material used for Corvettes (cars)

it worked

If you do replace them, post your progress here. It would be interesting to see. If you do it I’m thinking you will need a type of reciprocating saw and Some way to chamfer or bevel the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back