• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland FR7x - splitting the bass and keys

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some help with something I've been trying to achieve for a while, but can't fathom whether this is possible on the FR7x.

The FR7x has a left and right output and I would like to completely split the signal so that:

Only bass and no keyboard comes through the left channel

And

only keyboard and no bass comes through the right channel.

All I seem to be able to do with the parameters is change the panning, but some of each signal still appears to be present in each channel.

Is this possible, amd if so how?

I don't know about the FR7x but on the FR1x it is not completely possible. With "completely" I mean that using panning some instrument-combination are pretty good separated others are not.

If I remeber correctly left-hand bass and left-hand chords were usually on the same channel(s): either left or mixed on left and right. So separating the bass only would not work anyhow.

That's my experience with the FR1x, the FR7x may be different. See my post here:

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some help with something I've been trying to achieve for a while, but can't fathom whether this is possible on the FR7x.

The FR7x has a left and right output and I would like to completely split the signal so that:

Only bass and no keyboard comes through the left channel

And

only keyboard and no bass comes through the right channel.

All I seem to be able to do with the parameters is change the panning, but some of each signal still appears to be present in each channel.

Is this possible, amd if so how?
If you have a spare FR7x, you might try connecting your MIDI out to the spare such that both accordions play synchronously, make the MIDI settings transmit all registration changes, then mute the bass side on your "play" accordion and mute the treble side on your "bass" accordion and wire up one cable from your treble accordion to the treble amp, and one cable from your bass accordion to your bass amp.

If that sounds stupid and frustrating, it may be because it is.

EDIT: separate output assignments for everything that warrants its own MIDI channel (at least with options stereo, hard left/right) would be a no-brainer to add to the firmware. And for future hardware iterations of instruments with foot controller, 4 assignable outputs, to be used as 4×mono or 2×stereo or stereo plus 2×mono. I mean, my stone-age Solton MS40 does that.

Last edited:
If you have a spare FR7x, you might try connecting your MIDI out to the spare such that both accordions play synchronously, make the MIDI settings transmit all registration changes, then mute the bass side on your "play" accordion and mute the treble side on your "bass" accordion and wire up one cable from your treble accordion to the treble amp, and one cable from your bass accordion to your bass amp.

If that sounds stupid and frustrating, it may be because it is.
Haha!

Appreciate the answer, you have technically solved it, however I don't have a spare FR7X. And also probably couldn't carry two to gigs

:)

I don't know about the FR7x but on the FR1x it is not completely possible. With "completely" I mean that using panning some instrument-combination are pretty good separated others are not.

If I remeber correctly left-hand bass and left-hand chords were usually on the same channel(s): either left or mixed on left and right. So separating the bass only would not work anyhow.

That's my experience with the FR1x, the FR7x may be different. See my post here:
Thanks dude I will check that post

There is no way that I know how to do it on a 7X unless you go in to each individual patch and set the panning control to full left and right for every sound on a specific patch individually. For a long time it was also very difficult to do on an 8X, but it is possible too but the advantage is that on the 8x one can use the editor that makes it much simpler, but still a complete chore.

There is no way that I know how to do it on a 7X unless you go in to each individual patch and set the panning control to full left and right for every sound on a specific patch individually. For a long time it was also very difficult to do on an 8X, but it is possible too but the advantage is that on the 8x one can use the editor that makes it much simpler, but still a complete chore.
Thanks Jerry.

When you say go into each available patch - what does that mean? Are you talking about doing this on the set editor? I do have the set editor for the FR7 on my computer but I'm not sure what patch means. If I amend the panpot I can go up to 63 treble for example with electric piano. I assume that means its not totally panned to the treble.20240416_145624.jpg

Pretty much, but doing that to EVERY sound (individual and layered) on both the left and right hands... oh, and any drums included too that you may want to control.

Me, I am fairly satisfied with the "factory" or "Noel" settings. In the beginning it was a true PITA for me, but I have gotten used to the image and can now live with it.

Back